thinking of buying one with a build and Unicable LNB but not too sure how to setup.

twh

I Am looking at getting a VU+ stb seems the VU+ Uno might suit me with a Unicable LNB. BUT not sure what all this means. I have used a Technomate Nano 2 super with twin LNB but i have a feeling the VU stb is much better. This stb have two tuners so do I need 2 cables coming from say a twin Unicable LNB to make full use of the twin tuner stb or would one cable be enough. I'm only goinf to use one TV, but I would like to be able to watch one channel while recording another. So can anyone explain why not just get a twin LNB. I have read something about 8 modulators what ever that means. I would also think about getting a build already setup as I'm not good at setting these boxes up, I can flash an image on one but setting it up is another this.
Hope someons can help.

No box comes plug and play as extras have to be setup.How many sats are you thinking of using?
Unsure what advantages if only using 28.2.

Reactions: twh
No expert on unicable You can use unicable
L.n.b (one tunner as normal) Then other l.n.bs
say 19.2 east and 13east on a DISEQC switch
On another physical tunner Using unicable
Power through spliter say 8 way and unicable
Two way spiliter
The spiliters can be installed anywhere in the system

Reactions: twh
An LNB goes on the dish and is independent to the receiver. Are you sure you are not mixing up terms? Perhaps FBC tuners?

You can use a unicable LNB with any receiver with an image that supports the technology. Example, DM 500 ( yes the SD version that is 250MHz), TM nano Super 2, Zgemm H2.

Separate paragraph, because it is a different subject. You can use an FBC module with a normal/universal LNB.

FBC tuners are one thing. Unicable is another technology. They are separate! You get more if you use the two together, but they are nonetheless separate and independent.

Thanks for the replies on this, I understand if i but a VU+ stb It will need setting up. I will only be using 28.2 but i would like to be able to record more channels at once or watch one channel while recording at least one other. I am able to install a dish as i have done this quite often for friends but only up to quad LNB with the ususal connections to up to 4 stb's. I am thinking about the VU+ Uno 4K SE?

Last edited:
These are ideal and can be bought from the sponsor of the ViX Team

VU+ Uno 4K SE 1x DVB-S2X FBC (8 demodulators) Twin Tuner Linux Enigma 2 PVR Receiver UHD 2160p

GT-Sat GT-dLNB1DY SCR/dCSS Single Cable Unicable II LNB SCR24

Some great guides from @Abu Baniaz over there on how to set it up.

Recording multiple channels is a topic people get confused with/do not understand properly. It is not so much as recording chamnenls, but what the LNB/Tuner is locked to. I suppose the question should be how many transponders can I access?

A normal LNB has vertical/horizontal polarisations as well as low/hi bands.

With a Zgemma Star 1, provided that the image has the changes to remove 8 services restriction, you can record all the channels on the transponder that you are locked onto. That is a basic setup with a cheap receiver that has a single tuner and a non-Sky Q LNB ( i.e not wideband).

If you have a Star 2S, and you have both tuners connected to the LNB, you can record all the services from 2 quadrants of what is being broadcast. That can be any number depending on what services are on the transponders. Some will have one service, some will have dozens.

A similar thing applies to Cable/Terrestrial. You are restricted to frequencies not transponders though. So for arguments sake, a receiver with 5 Terrestrial tuners can record all the 80 odd services that are broadcast. If you include the radio stations, you are going over a 100 services.

What do you mean by "setting up" ? Hardware or software?

Software has to match the hardware. You cannot use wideband LNBs with Enigma2 receivers.

I appreciate all these replies but some of this info is right over my head. I have at the moment a TM nano2 super which I had help on setting up (open pli), This is connected to a black inverto quad LNB and via DiSEqC to another dish aligned to 28.2e and 27.5w because i use it in Spain, but in UK North west I won't need this. I have VM at mo but getting too expensive, this is why I'm looking at similar stb this for my UK house. In Uk I have a dish on the roof and a smart tv with VM sub' and tivo stb but as i said it's getting too expensive ( and no I'm not loaded because I spend a lot of time in Spain). I'm sure I could get a Nano stb and copy from one to the other and use one in UK just on 28.2 but I understand the VU+ stb's are better and the Open Vix is better with better epg and easier setup for recording. Thanks again for the replies.

The other thing I was wondering is, can I use one stb and have satellite tuners as well as Terrestial (ie Freeview) as I have heard some channels like Channel 4 is not on freesat but is on Freeview?

You still have not said what you mean by setup?

To be honest, I don't think you need FBC tuners or Unicable LNB. You are better off just putting your requirements on the table and ask people advice on what receiver to recommend for you.

New 4×4 l.n.b
TechniSat Universal SCR 4 + 4 LNB in the test
Strong reception: single-cable LNB + 4 extra connections

August 28, 2020
| Issue 09/2020 | J. Freriks
Print |
TechniSat Universal SCR 4 + 4 LNB in the test

Tested products PDF download (1.00 €)

With the TechniSat Universal SCR 4 + 4 LNB, we have tested a particularly flexible receiver head for the satellite system, with which four participants can be supplied via Unicable EN 50494 via just one antenna line and four participants can be supplied in the classic way via four legacy connections. With the flexible combination LNB, which costs 96.50 euros, it is child's play to fully enjoy twin or quattro tuners to record a program and watch another or even FBC tuners can be fully used to the to increase parallel freedom of recording almost to infinity.
Thanks to the flexible features with a Unicable and four legacy terminals of the universal SC 4 + 4 LNB is not when using multi-switch needs more . In unicable mode , each participant / tuner is assigned a frequency (user band). We show how this works and what they are in our detailed review. Everything else about the connections and the configuration can be found in our detailed test report. In it, we also give an example of a possible use or cabling of the LNB in connection with connected receiving devices with and without Unicable support using a clear diagram .
The LNB has a 40 mm feed receptacle , LTE shielding , a low noise figure as well as removable weather protection and a degree scale for the skew angle . We took a close look at how these features are implemented and how the LNB can be handled in practice and what value the material processing shows in our detailed test.
Test environment and reception values
Whether the combined LNB was able to convince in the reception test is shown in the test report using clear graphs that record the reception level, the C / N value and the VBER / LBER value. We tested the LNB at the orbital positions Astra 19.2 ° East and via Hotbird 13 ° East, Astra 28.2 ° East and Thor 0.8 ° West with the Fuba DAL 800 (80 cm reflector diameter) and with our professional measuring device Promax TV Explorer HD . We recorded over 1,000 measured values. We present the results and the evaluation of them in our extensive practical test. What to consider when aligning and how the frequencies for the user bands in receiving devices such as the DVB-S2 receiver TechniSat UHD S and the Linux satellite receiverDreambox One Ultra HD will be assigned step by step.

Back