Transferring everything from old computer to a new one ?

tedbib

What is the best and easiest way to transfer everything from my old desktop Windows 10 computer to a new/refurbished Windows 10 one ?
I'm not very tech minded so want the easiest way to do it .
Thanks for your advice ,hopefully.

What is the best and easiest way to transfer everything from my old desktop Windows 10 computer to a new/refurbished Windows 10 one ?
I'm not very tech minded so want the easiest way to do it .
Thanks for your advice ,hopefully.
Do you have a DVD/cd writer in the old pc?
You could put all your files/photos onto a dvd and then put them on the new one.

Is it just files you want to transfer or settings etc?

Depends , need a bit more info of what's on the old pc , is it just storage stuff, media, music photos videos , etc or programs installed software. Games .

The old one doesn't have a dvd writer -- I just want to transfer everything over if I can
there's No games no music or videos . I do have photos on there

It's actually this computer I'm using now that I want to transfer over to a newer one --This one seems to be really slow at times.

Last edited:
It's not that straight forward, to just see folders and copy over, you have hidden folders etc , app data , user data, software gets installed in other file locations.
What do yo use the pc for.

Google check youtbe

The old one doesn't have a dvd writer -- I just want to transfer everything over if I can
there's No games no music or videos . I do have photos on there

It's actually this computer I'm using now that I want to transfer over to a newer one --This one seems to be really slow at times.
everything over you can so do you mean software if so that is not easy you need imaging software that will do bare metal restore. if just documents photos e.t.c just copy to usb flash drive.

It looks like I'll put up with this one for as long as I can, It's not too bad at the moment.

I may try the flash drive thing ...

When you copy to flash drive does it still stay on the computer you are copying from as well on the flash drive ?

I come from the age of dial-up phones and 'party lines ' and having to get up and turn a dial to change the station on the TV

:laughing:

It looks like I'll put up with this one for as long as I can, It's not too bad at the moment.

When you copy to flash drive does it still stay on the computer you are copying from as well on the flash drive ?

I come from the age of dial-up phones and 'party lines ' and having to get up and turn a dial to change the station on the TV

bu flash drive we mean usb thubdrive you insert that into your older computer copy your required files to it then when done remove it then insert it into the other computer and copy your files over.

have a look here Backup User Profile in Windows 10/11 or Transfer to New PC [Complete Guide]

Yes it stays on the computer, you are just copying it to the usb, then from the usb into the new computer.
I assume you can copy and paste?
As mentioned above you can't copy settings this way, just files like pictures and documents.
You can also email them to yourself, then open your email on the other computer and save them from your email

Thats good
I can copy and paste and do most things
It's just a biggish job like transferring things from one computer to another that I wasn't sure about and was wondering if there was an easy way of doing it

Thanks

Thats good
I can copy and paste and do most things
It's just a biggish job like transferring things from one computer to another that I wasn't sure about and was wondering if there was an easy way of doing it

Thanks
Depending on the size of the usb, you should be able to do everything in one go.
Anything you forget about can be transferred at a later time.
It's often a good idea to make folders to put things in before you begin, EG "Family photos" "Invoices and Bills" and so on, otherwise everything can get thrown into one folder and it can be a nightmare to find what you're looking for

I’d transfer over stuff by copying over on to stick as above and install fresh any programs you use . if you have favourites / contacts etc that you need then Google how to do these individually , saves wasted disk space and cluttering up / slowing down the pc

I’d transfer over stuff by copying over on to stick as above and install fresh any programs you use . if you have favourites / contacts etc that you need then Google how to do these individually , saves wasted disk space and cluttering up / slowing down the pc
Yes favourites or bookmarks plus passwords I use firefox and mozilla thunderbird but there are back up programs for these or you can do in manually but more bother.

bit late, but you can get a link cable to your new HDD that connects to the usb port and you can transfer everything over from the old HDD to the new one including the windows and all files then just fit the new HDD back into the new pc and thats it

bit late, but you can get a link cable to your new HDD that connects to the usb port and you can transfer everything over from the old HDD to the new one including the windows and all files then just fit the new HDD back into the new pc and thats it
there used to be software years back and you could buy cable to go with it it would transfer files and installed programs.

Te only real way to do it is with imaging software with disimmilar hardware restore you just cannot backup windows partition with all your software and restore it onto compleately different pc, different hardware different drivers we are not talking about imaging full hard drive plus all partitions to larger hard drive or sdd to just swap or upgrate your current pc.

and I am not advertising but just info here https://www.easeus.com/backup-recovery/move-windows-10-to-new-computer-with-dissimilar-hardware.html

personally I have used acronis.

Thats all i done when i built a new pc from scratch 🤷‍♂️, swapped everything from the smaller hdd to the larger one by transfering it over lol , still on the same system now to this day

Thats all i done when i built a new pc from scratch 🤷‍♂️, swapped everything from the smaller hdd to the larger one by transfering it over lol , still on the same system now to this day
ok what can i say i suppose windows was also activated on new pc when you booted new pc up or did you transfere windows HWID via microsoft account not that i actually have one or perhaps was it ASUS motherboard on both pc's

Use one of these cables to transfer its a sata cable

Attachments

• 16921305515915112402642480583700.jpg
    16921305515915112402642480583700.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
Back