Trying to make a backup

sn0wman1

Hi. I've been trying to make a working backup for a while now. This is what I do.
I press blue button which brings up a quick launch menu. I then go across to complete backup. I then press on usb. It tells me( no usb found for fullbackup). To backup directly to USB it must contain a file with the name backupstick or Backup stick.txt . So I create this file. It then starts the backup. Backup takes about 5 mins. Then finishes. I then plug flash drive into pc and delete everything but the zgemma folder. I go into that folder and change noforce file to force. I then go back to box switch off insert flash and power box on but it just boots as normal. It just won't flash the backup. Am I doing something wrong. I've even tried not deleting anything but still no joy. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hey, how did you format the USB? They can be a bit touchy when it comes to flashing. People recommend you format using the low level format tool from HDD Guru.

I just did quick format which is all I did when I first installed wooshmans back. That worked first time. I will give that a go tomorrow. I've read that it can take quite a long time can't it?

I have now tried low level format with hdd guru. I then had to format to fat32 again straight after that. Created the folder called backupstick. Then did my backup. Changed the noforce file to force but still no joy. Is this all correct. I don't understand as this flash drive worked for wooshmans image when I first got the box.. Could it be because I have another usb drive in the back port for epg and timeshift or should this be left in?
Thanks for replying

Never thought of that sn0w, give it a go and let us know. With your box turned off, unplug the the second HDD at the back. Chuck your flash stick in the front and see what happens. The worst that will happen is you will get a message about timeshift and ext4 or it will create the timeshift and movie folder on your usb stick.

Once flashed, put the box in deep sleep, remove flash stick , turn it off with power button and put your other usb back in.

Let us know how you get on as you may have sorted it :-)

Ha ha. Result. Flashed straight away. Oh well lesson learned. If flashing backup unplug any other drive ( flash drive or hdd) before restoring or it won't work. Thanks for help guys

Nicely done. Sorry I never thought of that.

So now you can have have two folders on your flash stick. Once called zgemma-wooshbuild and one called zgemma-mine. Then you just need to rename the one you are going to flash with to zgemma and away you go. Also handy to store IPK files on there too. The box only looks for a folder called zgemma when flashing so you can store other stuff on there too.

Thanks mate. It's only a 1gig stick so it's I've just created a backup folder on pc and keep them stored on there as well as having my backup on stick. Thanks again

Back