Tune failed on sat?

A mate of mine lost all his vertical channels on his multi sat dish a few weeks ago, he couldnt figure out why this was, his dish is on a scaffold pole in his garden, a few weeks later they were back working again, the same day his neighbours did some gardening and cut their hedges and lopped a few branches of a few of their trees, so things like this can cause problems, no matter how unlikely it seems.

your problem could be any of those mentioned in the thread, but what you could try, disable tuner b, set it as loop thru or not connected, whatever your image allows, remove the cable from tuner b, Run abm scan , tuner b is used as a default, if theres an issue with signal or connection to tuner b, you'll get the tuner lock error. If you get channels this way it may just be prob with the connection, ie copper core a bit too long, or outer braid making contact, both would interfere with signal,

Not sure how to do what you have suggested mate.

This is getting very technical now and becoming really overwhelmed.

Just feel like throwing the box in the bin.

A mate of mine lost all his vertical channels on his multi sat dish a few weeks ago, he couldnt figure out why this was, his dish is on a scaffold pole in his garden, a few weeks later they were back working again, the same day his neighbours did some gardening and cut their hedges and lopped a few branches of a few of their trees, so things like this can cause problems, no matter how unlikely it seems.

That is the thing mate it literally could be anything. Have no idea what to do. Tried different things already to no avail.

What you said could be a possibility or as cactikid set line of sight is being blocked by trees.

I honestly dont know anymore, as too many options and becoming impossible to fix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure how to do what you have suggested mate.

This is getting very technical now and becoming really overwhelmed.

Just feel like throwing the box in the bin.

ok on remote menu/setup/tuner config highlight tuner b then change configuration mode to either loopthrough tuner a or nothing connected, the option will vary depending on how old the image is. now remove cable from tuner b, try abm scan see if it pulls channels via tuner a, if it does then fault lies with cable itself ,or lnb port it's connected to, could be as said the copper core is a bit too long , or the outer braid of cable is in contact with core ,as said both of these would cause your issue, it's just trial & error eliminate the simplest causes first

It may help if we knew what box and the image we are talking about! Or have l missed something?

ok on remote menu/setup/tuner config highlight tuner b then change configuration mode to either loopthrough tuner a or nothing connected, the option will vary depending on how old the image is. now remove cable from tuner b, try abm scan see if it pulls channels via tuner a, if it does then fault lies with cable itself ,or lnb port it's connected to, could be as said the copper core is a bit too long , or the outer braid of cable is in contact with core ,as said both of these would cause your issue, it's just trial & error eliminate the simplest causes first

I did originally scan with ABM didnt work, but then after a while when channels came back on I ran ABM and ran fine.

But wouldnt it only run on tuner A as wouldnt tuner B only be activated once tuner A is in use for example for recording etc?

Apologies for such stupid questions but not easy this.

It may help if we knew what box and the image we are talking about! Or have l missed something?

Sorry.

TM Nano 3T and Vix but not sure of build but it is a very old build to say the least.

I did originally scan with ABM didnt work, but then after a while when channels came back on I ran ABM and ran fine.

But wouldnt it only run on tuner A as wouldnt tuner B only be activated once tuner A is in use for example for recording etc?

Apologies for such stupid questions but not easy this.
as said earlier tuner b is the default setting on twin tuners, ie abm uses tuner b, to scan so you can watch tv via tuner a while scan is in progress, if you do as suggested you are deactivating tuner b & thus tuner a is only scan option for abm, if it pull channels this way then the fault may lie as I suggested in last post. there could be all reasons mention in thread could cause your issue, just trying to help isolate it coming from one or other of your cables, their connections to box or to lnb being the cause, tuner b is only active when recording, but as i tried to explain it's the default tuner abm uses for twintuners

That is the thing mate it literally could be anything. Have no idea what to do. Tried different things already to no avail.

What you said could be a possibility or as cactikid set line of sight is being blocked by trees.

I honestly dont know anymore, as too many options and becoming impossible to fix.

The first thing you need to do is calm down, you appear to be in a bit of a flap.
Just because you have 'tried things to no avail' doesn't mean it's unfixable, it simply means you can cross those off the list and try other things.
is the dish pointing towards any close trees?
nothing is impossible to fix, it worked last week and now it doesn't....this doesn't make it impossible to fix, it just means it might take a while, two or three days or even a week, and there's no massive rush to get it fixed - you've still got cable, there's not 'too many' options - It's pointless spending money on a new box, dish or anything else if it turns out to be a tree that is causing the issue, that's what all the suggestions are for, so you don't waste money unnecessarily.
go through the thread and try everything that has been suggested.
Flash the box and then do the same, if this takes a few days to do then so be it

I went on signal finder and showed signal on both sat tuners. So then checked sat bouqets and channels including FTA channels and worked.

However once again have tune failed message on channels.

Why did it randomly work for a bit and then all channels showing the "tune failed" message?

what does it say in signal finder what readings ,no use saying i have a signal.

as said earlier tuner b is the default setting on twin tuners, ie abm uses tuner b, to scan so you can watch tv via tuner a while scan is in progress, if you do as suggested you are deactivating tuner b & thus tuner a is only scan option for abm, if it pull channels this way then the fault may lie as I suggested in last post. there could be all reasons mention in thread could cause your issue, just trying to help isolate it coming from one or other of your cables, their connections to box or to lnb being the cause, tuner b is only active when recording, but as i tried to explain it's the default tuner abm uses for twintuners

Oh ok. Wasn't aware tuner b was default tuner with ABM scan. Always thought was tuner a that was default.

Thanks for the clarification.

If you have exhausted all the options suggested above and you wish to avoid being strung up by 'the family' a reflash looks to be your only option:) http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/downloads/technomate-images/tm-nano-3t/
Good luck

I will be doing this step after I try the box at a relatives house.

See what happens.

The first thing you need to do is calm down, you appear to be in a bit of a flap.
Just because you have 'tried things to no avail' doesn't mean it's unfixable, it simply means you can cross those off the list and try other things.
is the dish pointing towards any close trees?
nothing is impossible to fix, it worked last week and now it doesn't....this doesn't make it impossible to fix, it just means it might take a while, two or three days or even a week, and there's no massive rush to get it fixed - you've still got cable, there's not 'too many' options - It's pointless spending money on a new box, dish or anything else if it turns out to be a tree that is causing the issue, that's what all the suggestions are for, so you don't waste money unnecessarily.
go through the thread and try everything that has been suggested.
Flash the box and then do the same, if this takes a few days to do then so be it

Sorry mate if I am sounding desperate. With different conditions I suffer from I get anxious and overwhelmed very easily. Not good where problems occur.

Just want it to be fixed. I know may take time. But just seems a long way away even with so many things I tried so far.

I do have a number of trees on the road and dish is point towards them.

I test auto scan. Found channels but still had the tune failed message.

Also disabled tuner b and took feed out of it and ran ABM but again have "tuner failed" message.

Need to check next if same issue happens when testing at relatives house.

Then will try reflash after.

From there onwards who knows. But will be absolutely gutted if will have a half working box after all this.

Where abouts in the world do you live? there may be someone local who is willing to help, the last thing you need to be doing is getting stressed over it.

Calm down a bit buddy it's not worth making yourself ill.
I have an amiko mini combo HD you can have if you want? At least you can try your sat channels on that.
PM me your address if you want it and I will post it to you.
Please take it easy!

Where abouts in the world do you live? there may be someone local who is willing to help, the last thing you need to be doing is getting stressed over it.

Lived in Midlands mate. I have some satellite shops some distance away from me, phoned them and said there is a minimum charge of £30-£40 to check and more if needs to be fixed. Which is not possible for me.

I am stressed mate, know I shouldnt be over such a pointless thing. But like I said where problems happen I just kinda panic and get really worked up. I just want to get it sorted for my family. As they are the ones who watch sly and freesat. Giving me an ear ache with whats happened. Wish I was more technical minded with these type of things.

Calm down a bit buddy it's not worth making yourself ill.
I have an amiko mini combo HD you can have if you want? At least you can try your sat channels on that.
PM me your address if you want it and I will post it to you.
Please take it easy!

Your right mate. Get overwhelmed over small things very easily.

Really appreciate your offer mate.

Will be taking the box to relatives house later today hopefully to rule out if box is faulty or not.

Will come to you mate if need be. Thanks once again for the generous offer.

Thats the thing with techkings, there is always plenty of help when needed, theres some on here now who want to get it fixed just as much as you do, and they will not be beat until you have got the problem solved. As pablo says go through the suggestions one by one, if only to rule certain things out.

Thats the thing with techkings, there is always plenty of help when needed, theres some on here now who want to get it fixed just as much as you do, and they will not be beat until you have got the problem solved. As pablo says go through the suggestions one by one, if only to rule certain things out.

Your 100% spot on mate. Might not been on here or generally online much these days due to ill health.

But no question the guys on here are some of the nicest and most helpful people I have come across.

I dont say it enough but thanks to all the guys on here helping me and many others out. Especially thanks to those who have been really helpful on this thread. Really appreciate it deeply.

Apologies for late reply, been ill last week or so. Didnt help with this damn issue made me so stressed.

So managed to take the box to relatives but could only test for about half an hour. Seemed fine. Had signal coming to box there and no tune failed message.

So then brought it home and connected it back up. Checked yesterday and sat was working all day and same today. I dont understand how as never done anything. Any idea what has happened as why its randomly started working? Not getting tune failed message...yet

If it happens again this issue what could be the cause then as at the moment seems to be working?

Need to reflash box as so out of date but concerned will mess up if I do something.

So this morning ALL sat channels including FTA I tried were freezing/glitching like crazy and said "tune failed"

Tried at relatives house box and werent any issues whatsoever.

Knew the problem would happen again.

Guys what is happening and what should I do?

So sick and tired and so fed up of this. Its all wrecked.

obviously there's a bad connection at the back, and it will continue to do this until you make a new connection and replace the broken cable/connection.
Why not cut a metre of the sat cable off and then put a connector on the cut end and get a 1m new sat cable from screwfix and this will likely cure the problem:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/satellite-lead-f-plug-to-f-plug-1m/61186
£2.19p

also you'll need a connector for the cut end:
https://www.screwfix.com/c/electrical-lighting/tv-leads-cable/cat4740026#category=cat830560

So the sat feed is faulty then?

Will I need to remove both feeds from the LNB and put new ones and new connectors?

Dont think can do that mate. But cant pay the extortionate price of an engineer either.

I'm guessing that the bad connection/cable is near the box rather than the dish end
a 1m cable is a few quid to try and it may cure the problem.
if you have two sat cables going to box, you may have to get two 1m cables and see if they make a difference

Back