turn off mobile data or data roaming or both

grog68

VIP Member
TK Supporter
I should know this but don't as never been an issue before for me.

We are going away next month just for a week, but for the first time ever we are going outside of Europe and although O2 Volt package has a free travel bolt on which covers some countries outsiide of the EU, it does not cover where we are going. Actually the bolt on we would require, Zone 3 Data roaming starts at £26 for 100mb, and up to £65 for 1GB for each phone.

So thinking as its just for a week and the hotel apparently has wifi all over the hotel, just turn off Data Roaming. So my question is, what is the difference between turning Data Roaming off and just turning mobile data off? is there a difference?

If data roaming is disabled, would that affect calls/texts? I don't expect to make any but you never know Camelot may want to call me to say I've won millions, but then that's basically airplane mode

I did read that if data roaming is turned off, the phone won't automatically connect to wifi, that doesn't sound right to me but as I say I've never had to turn it off before so don't know.

I should know this but don't as never been an issue before for me.

We are going away next month just for a week, but for the first time ever we are going outside of Europe and although O2 Volt package has a free travel bolt on which covers some countries outsiide of the EU, it does not cover where we are going. Actually the bolt on we would require, Zone 3 Data roaming starts at £26 for 100mb, and up to £65 for 1GB for each phone.

So thinking as its just for a week and the hotel apparently has wifi all over the hotel, just turn off Data Roaming. So my question is, what is the difference between turning Data Roaming off and just turning mobile data off? is there a difference?

If data roaming is disabled, would that affect calls/texts? I don't expect to make any but you never know Camelot may want to call me to say I've won millions, but then that's basically airplane mode

I did read that if data roaming is turned off, the phone won't automatically connect to wifi, that doesn't sound right to me but as I say I've never had to turn it off before so don't know.
If you turn mobile data off, 'roaming' won't come into the equation.
If you're not sure about WiFi accessibility and your phone has multi SIM, you can get a Lebara SIM, stick a twenty gig package on it and use it for the holiday then throw it away when you get home

If your phone is open to other networks take a look at a 3 sim. You can buy a 15gb sim for about £9.99 pre loaded and it works in many countries. We use them all the time for travelling.

If you turn mobile data off, 'roaming' won't come into the equation.
If you're not sure about WiFi accessibility and your phone has multi SIM, you can get a Lebara SIM, stick a twenty gig package on it and use it for the holiday then throw it away when you get home
What about getting an esim

Had thought about getting an esim and may do that, apparently you can get them at the airport there apparently for just a few quid

If your phone is open to other networks take a look at a 3 sim. You can buy a 15gb sim for about £9.99 pre loaded and it works in many countries. We use them all the time for travelling.
Three don't do FREE roaming on new contracts, we moved from Three to O2, one reason being that if we renewed contract with them we would lose the roaming, they wouldn't say if we would lose it if we carried on without renewing contract although I see they now have it on their Plus or Premium but as with O2 it doesn't cover where we're going

O2 do zones, get a lebara e sim for data and change settings on phone to use data from esim and calls from your own sim

When I was on holiday in Marmaris, Turkey last month the wi fi in the hotel was dreadfull so I got a wi fi box from one of the local money exchangers (can get them loads of places but haggle over prices) it was £20 for 7 days unlimited data it ran at around 40 mbps and we used it for the whole family. Apparently they usually ask for about £50 deposit but guy I got it off settled for my uk driving licence. Dont know which network it was with but it was very good. I wonder if you can get them here to take on holiday?

3 do do free roaming on PAYG. In the last 6 months I've used them in San Francisco then onto new Zealand and then via Hollywood, then just 2 months ago I used them in las Vegas for a week. I just bought pre loaded Sims off Amazon.

3 do do free roaming on PAYG. In the last 6 months I've used them in San Francisco then onto new Zealand and then via Hollywood, then just 2 months ago I used them in las Vegas for a week. I just bought pre loaded Sims off Amazon.
doesn't cover morocco and not paying £6/mb

O2 do zones, get a lebara e sim for data and change settings on phone to use data from esim and calls from your own sim
Yea, Morocco is Zone 3 at £26/100mb. esim is cheaper option, so probably go with that or I could be old school and just not use my phone for the week

We're off to Morocco, was cheap when we booked it, forgot about data roaming, the fact it's about 40 degrees atm and the wife needs to be covered up if we leave the hotel LOL
not been but it will be a pittance for a local sim, always good to have when youre out and about (y)

doesn't cover morocco and not paying £6/mb

Yea, Morocco is Zone 3 at £26/100mb. esim is cheaper option, so probably go with that or I could be old school and just not use my phone for the week
Orange Morocco offer ESim through there website I think it was about £4 and had more then enough data

Put them on aeroplane mode when you get on the plane and don't take them off till you get off the plane, that's the best way to avoid charges.

When you get off the plane in Morocco there's stalls selling sims, they'll put one in your phone and sellotape your original sim to a card to put in your wallet, set the sim up and get you going. I think it's a tenner for a 10gb loaded sim.

Orange Morocco offer ESim through there website I think it was about £4 and had more then enough data

Yea, I have looked at them, might do that just before we go.

Put them on aeroplane mode when you get on the plane and don't take them off till you get off the plane, that's the best way to avoid charges.

When you get off the plane in Morocco there's stalls selling sims, they'll put one in your phone and sellotape your original sim to a card to put in your wallet, set the sim up and get you going. I think it's a tenner for a 10gb loaded sim.
I would rather an Esim, Aeroplaane mode is obviously the safest but I don't want to lose the call/sms in case of an emergency, ie my mothers in her 80's and my sister would call if something happened. It's more the data I want to disable.

Back