TV License Opt Out

msc1

Hi all, so today I discovered its possible to opt out of the TV license if you meet certain criteria which I will link to below. One of them is you must not access any live TV. Question is, will they detect my ZGEMMA H2H? I live in a block of flats which I have been told makes it impossible to detect. Would quite happily give up BBC as I never watch it. Hoping somebody else has done this, as £145 saved a year would be great! Thanks in advance for any help

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/telling-us-you-dont-need-a-tv-licence

Hi all, so today I discovered its possible to opt out of the TV license if you meet certain criteria which I will link to below. One of them is you must not access any live TV. Question is, will they detect my ZGEMMA H2H? I live in a block of flats which I have been told makes it impossible to detect. Would quite happily give up BBC as I never watch it. Hoping somebody else has done this, as £145 saved a year would be great! Thanks in advance for any help

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/telling-us-you-dont-need-a-tv-licence

not paid for one for ten years, letters arrive and go in the bin without being opened
on two occasions people have knocked at the door, told to eff off and last time was about 4 - 5 years ago anyone actually came knocking

An acquaintance has just taken a job going knocking on doors for them, he told me if anyone is abusive, they go away and don't return, they just get given a list of 'leads' every day and get commission on each one they sell

i have opted out of TV licence for 3 years now, I just say i only watch catchup tv and play games on my TV. once every 2 years they send a letter asking if "any changes" i just say no.

The way i look at it, I've saved over £1400 already.
If the worst happened and i got fined, it would only be £250 so i'd still be a 'bag o sand' up

I have not paid for 4 years now and had my bi-annual knock at the door last Monday been the same guy every time. Quite a pleasant chap told me he serves a 50 mile radius and is the only one in the area so when he comes knocking at 6pm chances are he has had enough for the day. Sky cables not connected to anything, TV arieal not connected to anything... OK sir sorry to bother you, I'll see you in 2 years.
Thank you. No chance of him spotting the Formuler box and chances are he wouldn't have a Scooby doo what it was if he did.

I refuse to pay out of principle.
The BBC is nothing but a propaganda machine spewing bullshit on a daily basis. I won't pay for a service that chooses on what it wants to report whilst covering whatever suits up.
Haven't paid for 4 years and never watch the shite.

I have always thought of stopping paying, but the Mrs doesn't want to have to deal with people turning up at the door. Plus I always think, what if I am the 1 person they decide to make a stand against. £12 every month though, it's just a waste of money.

the thing about the bbc tv license is from a technical standpoint you do need it if you are watching live tv recording it or watching iplayer, but the funny thing about it all is there is no requirement legally to actually engage with them so say for example you moved into a property that was unlicensed and never contact them then you are lawfully not paying it and doing no wrong, they can send someone out with a clipboard to your door to ask who the occupier is but again you can tell them to eff off or slam the doors in their faces its perfectly legal as all they are are salesmen really trying to get you to buy a tv license. Never talk to them and especially never ever sign that form if you do engage with them as that form they get you to sign is the form which is an admission of guilt, thats the only way they can prosecute anybody so dont do it, theres no such things as detector vans or them detecting people using iplayer is just a smokescreen, its that damn form which gets people into trouble so again dont sign it or better yet dont engage with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
You do not have to let anybody in your home including the old bill unless they have a warrant it is deemed as trespassing the minute they come through the gate or up the drive whatever. FIGHT THE POWER!

Does anyone do punctuation lessons?? I'm sure that the post two above makes sense to some, but I can't read it.

Maybe it is a translator I need.

I remember when they came to my door about 20 years ago, I had a bit of a debate with the bloke at the front door, I ended up telling him that I didnt own a TV, so he said, but you have an aerial on your roof, my reply was,' I have a couple of pints of milk in the fridge, but I dont have a cow out in the back garden', he just laughed and went away. Then about ten years ago, we had since moved to a nice area, I came home from work and the mrs informed me, the tv license man had been out and had threatened her with a thousand pound fine so she had taken an agreement with him to pay every 3 months, she thought she had done well saving a grand, I called her all sorts of names, upshot is she is still paying every 3 months in instalments via direct debit, £40 a time.

I remember when they came to my door about 20 years ago, I had a bit of a debate with the bloke at the front door, I ended up telling him that I didnt own a TV, so he said, but you have an aerial on your roof, my reply was,' I have a couple of pints of milk in the fridge, but I dont have a cow out in the back garden', he just laughed and went away. Then about ten years ago, we had since moved to a nice area, I came home from work and the mrs informed me, the tv license man had been out and had threatened her with a thousand pound fine so she had taken an agreement with him to pay every 3 months, she thought she had done well saving a grand, I called her all sorts of names, upshot is she is still paying every 3 months in instalments via direct debit, £40 a time.
time to say that your wife isnt there anymore lol

Thanks all. Cancelled! Feel a bit daft for not doing this earlier but better late than never I guess

Back