tvheadend

techrich

Hello,

I have just got this box so far, and its been going great. I have learned loads from this forum. Installed WooshBuild Infinity on it. Watching TV recording stuff. Even watched stuff on my pc using the OpenWebif. This is loads better than my cheap freesat box! I have downladed an app on my iphone called TvhClient, and its asking for the ip of the box which i have entered and its asking for some ports. There is port 9981 and HTSP Port 9982. This does not work, with these settings.

Is there something i need to install on the box to allow this to work. Or am i getting the ports wrong?

Thanks for all your help!

Richard

Hi,

TvhClient is an app that allows administration and access to a TvHeadend server. - Are you running a TVHeadend server ?
If so, (assuming that the port assignments are in default) using a web-browser navigate to the server's IP address using port 9981 and there you will be able to undertake pretty much all of the administration tasks and setup etc etc. The default broadcast port for HTSP from a TVHeadend server is 9982, however in some versions it might be set to '0', which would have the effect to stopping it from broadcasting on any port.
If you can give us some more information and description of your TVHeadend installation then hopefully it will help to troubleshoot this.

Hello,

Thanks for replying back! I am not running a TVHeadnd server. Can i run the software to do this on the Vu+ box?

Thanks
Richard

i am trying to use it to watch the tv channels that the box can receive from the satellite on the side of the house. I have used the app with an ip tv service before, and it worked really well.

Thats because iptv is streamed. Your box has a sat tuner in it to decipher the signal, your phone doesnt.
You may be able to use webif on the phone to view whats playing through the box, but only while your at home using same network as the box

Yes, but if i signed up for an ip tv service. And used the app it works. What do they have that i don’t have with a vu 2 box? They have a box with some sat tuners in it. Some software and an internet connection. i have a box with some sat tuners in it and some software. and a local network. Am i missing something here?

Oh yes.
Iptv needs internet to stream the channels - thats it - any device that is conected to www can play it, inc your box, fone, firestick, smart tv, pc, and dozens of other contraptions.
Only sat tuners can play sat chanels

Perhaps titling the the thread "tvheadend" has led to some misunderstandings........

As @pabloescaban points out, simply using an app on say your phone and pointing it at your IPTV service directly is almost always the best way forward. You should not need to put anything between you and the IPTV service (like an E2 box for example) as that just introduces potential further potential points of failure and complication.

If you wish to leverage the tuners on your VU2 box from say your phone or a computer, then that will be possible too, but is dependent upon a number of things. Firstly, you need to connect the tuners to a dish and tune them in etc. Then you have a number of choices. Perhaps at the most basic level you can generate an .M3U catalogue file of the Bouquet containing the satellite channels, and in turn use a basic app like say VLC. More elegant and feature-rich solutions could be obtained by using say Kodi with suitable plugins on the client device.

Another possible option would be to run a TVHeadend server on your LAN, point that at the VU2's tuners, and in turn use an app on a client device which is pointed at the TVHeadend server.

I could go on with more potentials and examples, but if it were me I think that I'd be inclined to keep things as simple as possible.

Im not convinced the OP is aware the IPTV is posible on the Vu alongside his sat chanels and is looking into tvheadend in order to get chanels on different devices hence my earlier questions about iphone

ok thanks for the info. I am learning a lot more here! And its more complicated then i first thought it was. I am not interested in using an IPTV service to get content onto my VU box.

I would like to watch the channels that are on the VU box, on my devices such as my phone ipad, windows laptop etc. The VU Box is setup, and connected to the dish. Channels are tuned, and i can watch all the day time crap i want too! If i make this .m3u file will it have the tv guide on it so i can see whats on? Or will i need a headend server setting up on the network for that?

Thanks for putting up with my stupid questions so far!

Richard

OK - - now we have a clearer view of what the general objectives are we can probably discuss some pointers towards them.

Simply using a .M3U link or catalogue of links will not offer you any meaningful tv guide/EPG information. That said, there are programmes that can be installed on client devices that can offer both. Your VU2 box does offer some extensive server functionality already built-in that can be used/leveraged.

If I were you, I'd start with your PC/Laptop, install Kodi on it, then install some addons for Enigma2.
Learning how to do that will probably stand you in good stead for the future when you come to roll it out to other devices.

OK - - now we have a clearer view of what the general objectives are we can probably discuss some pointers towards them.

Simply using a .M3U link or catalogue of links will not offer you any meaningful tv guide/EPG information. That said, there are programmes that can be installed on client devices that can offer both. Your VU2 box does offer some extensive server functionality already built-in that can be used/leveraged.

If I were you, I'd start with your PC/Laptop, install Kodi on it, then install some addons for Enigma2.
Learning how to do that will probably stand you in good stead for the future when you come to roll it out to other devices.

so i did a search for enigma2, and that had an app that would let me do what i wanted to do! Is the Enigma2 some kind of standard box ?

OK,
Your VU2 uses an operating system generally referred to as Enigma2 or E2 for short.
E2 is GNU-Linux based and there are a number of 'flavours' and 'branches' of it. Examples of the names of those flavours are Open-ATV, Open-Vix, Open-Pli, Wooshbuild, Grogbuild, Willobuild (not a complete list, just illustrative). We probably don't really need to get too bogged down in the detail of that side of it at the moment but suffice to say that your VU2 box is a capable device with reasonable hardware resources that is capable of running a good range of software. When all said and done Linux based things are all about personal choice and there is not really any right or wrong answer with many things, and it's more of case of you getting things as you want them to be.
As well as being capable of receiving and rendering DVB TV and Radio signals, E2 is capable of receiving and rendering IPTV type services. Additionally, there are a number of server type services available in E2 that allow certain resources to be accessed from devices attached to the same LAN. Examples of such services include, FTP, CIFS/SMB, DLNA/UpNp, NFS, and SSH. (again, not a complete list, just illustrative). Each of those services will have an IP port or ports associated with them.
One such example of that is OpenWebIf - - (basically running on a web-server based service running on port 80) which is designed to allow you to interact with your VU2 using a web-browser on almost any LAN connected device. Further, by default E2 will make streaming available on port 8001 by default,
We can therefore leverage both of those (ie port 80 and port 8001) services when using a remote client.
So, when I suggested that you take a stab at installing Kodi on something it would be those ports and services that would be used.
There's quite a good article here about it:- Enigma2 - Official Kodi Wiki

thanks for the indepth reply, this has been really useful. And its given me a lot to think about on how i can use this box. I have a lot of tinkering to do!

Back