Tyson Fury says Anthony Joshua is 'finished' after Andy Ruiz Jr defeat

Bennie45

Tyson Fury v Tom Schwarz
Las Vegas 15th June @around 0.400 BST 16 June

Tyson Fury believes former world champion Anthony Joshua is "finished" after his shock defeat by Andy Ruiz Jr.
Joshua, 29, gave up his IBF, WBA and WBO titles in a seventh-round stoppage loss to Ruiz in New York on 1 June.
Speaking before Saturday's bout with Tom Schwarz - which will be broadcast by BBC Radio 5 Live - Fury said Joshua did not want to be in the ring.

"When a man doesn't want to be there once, he will always do it and it's hard to come back from," said Fury.
"It's been done many different times by many different fighters. He did it that night and I don't think he will come back from it. Finished. Ask any top trainer who has been around the sport a lifetime. When he got to the ring I saw he didn't want to be there."

'Science doesn't help AJ'
Fury's Las Vegas contest with Schwarz will air on 5 Live in the early hours of Sunday morning in the UK.
The bout comes two weeks after Ruiz ripped up the heavyweight division's plot lines by inflicting a first career defeat on Joshua, who had previously made Fury an offer to fight.
"Everybody thought that man could beat me," Fury added. "In what world could he ever beat me? What were people seeing? I don't know what people were looking at as I don't know in what world he could have beaten me."
Fury this week said he respects Joshua and regards him as "a winner in life" for how he has achieved sporting success after brushes with the law in his youth.

But Joshua's loss has halted talk of any immediate fight with Fury or WBC champion Deontay Wilder as the 2012 Olympic champion is now intent on fulfilling a rematch with Ruiz.
Fury, who battled mental health and drug issues before returning to the sport after a 31-month spell of inactivity in June of 2018, believes Joshua will lose the repeat fixture.

In referencing Ruiz's much publicised fleshy physique and his own win over Wladimir Klitschko in 2015, Fury told 5 Live Boxing's Mike Costello and Steve Bunce that such results prove "body types mean nothing in boxing."
"Physically Joshua could out-train everyone," added Fury, 30. "He would break every heart monitor, has probably worn out every treadmill in the gym, smashes the bag, it's all very unimportant.

"Boxing isn't rocket science and today people are trying to make it a scientist thing. If you can fight you can fight if you can't you can forget about it. You can eat every protein bar in the world, when you get banged on the chin and panic, it don't really help you much.
"People who don't understand boxing look at a fight man and think he can't fight. The best feeling I got from it was the two best conditioned fighters in the last 20 years have been Klitschko and Joshua and they both got done by two fat men."

'Wilder not man enough anymore'

Undefeated Fury is a 1-25 favourite against Schwarz in his first fight since his epic draw with Wilder in December, where many ringside observers felt he should have been given a points victory despite being floored twice.
Both his and Wilder's team have loosely agreed a rematch in 2020, though a venue has not been agreed and financial terms have not been negotiated.

Fury, who lost around 10st in the 12 months leading up to the contest, says his relationship with Wilder is now strained which he puts down to the American knowing he should have lost their Los Angeles contest.
"If I was a match fit fighter and some fat man comes off drugs and alcohol and done that to me I'd never look at the sport again," said Fury.
"Does Deontay Wilder have anything to bother me? Nothing at all.

"I've been hurt 1,000 times but Wilder didn't hurt me once. He hit me in the back of the head, scrambled my senses and the last knockdown was a touch of sleep but didn't hurt me. Those same punches that caught me then are not going to touch me when I'm match fit.
"They thought I'd be half the man. I had to con them to think I was only there for a pay day. I couldn't be at my best but still beat him at nowhere near my best. He isn't man enough to face me anymore or speak to me. He used to text me back and forth. I've text him five times and he hasn't replied once."

'Easy fight, I'm not convinced'

Schwarz, 25, is unbeaten in 24 fights and impressed 5 Live's Bunce with his movement when he and Fury performed open workouts at the MGM Grand Hotel on Tuesday.
Saturday's contest - which will take place early on Sunday in the UK - will be Fury's first on his lucrative deal with ESPN and his team were keen to pick a bout which would lend itself to showcasing their fighter on his new broadcast platform.
Germany's Schwarz has therefore been largely written off but Fury warned his opponent has been training while he has shouldered the majority of the media commitments both in the UK and US.

"Any man who is unbeaten and his full life changes with a win, I don't take that as an easy fight," added Fury.
"All it takes is one or two punches. That is all it takes. If you're 12 rounds ahead and get knocked out it's pointless. So I am not convinced it's easy."

1 defeat dosnt mean he's finished how many boxes have retired after 1 defeat how many boxers have come back bigger stronger every one takes an L in life it will make it harder for fury and wilder fights to happen but just wait and see what happens November December time AJ will go for the kill fury takes a good game but some would say he's a washed up drug cheat and has no place in the sport lol

If AJ dont win the rematch then he will be judged on just how good is mental strength is etc.
I still say he didnt look right when he was in the ring and was very hesitant when going toe to toe with Ruiz and i suppose the only person to know what was going round in his head is himself.
Only time will tell but it sure dont look too rosey for him at min and it dont take much to drop down the pecking order in this sport im afraid.

I think AJ never took it serious, what was he doing in Miami b4 the fight. Did you see the expression on AJ's face when walking towards the ring, he was not all there.
Every body thought Ruiz was fat bloke and AJ will get it over in first few rounds.
Lets hope this defeat teach him a lesson and he make it back up again.....?

aj was sat down in the corner after every round asking his trainer what to do a boxer knows what to do and has watched many fights of his apponent aj just wasnt with it for what ever reason only he knows

Theres a Tyson youtube video uploaded yesterday,
Fury was very complementary about AJ. Bad day @ work as he put it, never once did Fury say anything derogatory. Very professional must of been a good day in the fury camp.

Aj has always been there for he taking, I’m a huge AJ fan but he’s never had a defence, gets hit really easy if klitchko would of go in on AJ on his fight he would of taken out AJ as well.

He’s gasses way to easy he has the looks of a fantastic competitor but likes of Ruiz fury and now whyte have a different engine they can go 12 rounds easy.

In my opinion he don’t get pushed in sparring and when he does he gets hurt he needs to get hard graft in the sparring as it’s a different type of fitness altogether.

Ruiz trainee under roach at one point he don’t train shit fighters completely over looked him and it ain’t gonna be easy next fight Ruiz hand speed is great has a great engine and is live he not give aj time to recover

Aj got found out which we all no in previous fights that he can get hit he don’t like high tempo rematch gonna be a hard fight 1000% Ruiz sadly ain’t had the credit he deserves

I hope Aj wins but he has work to do in they gym looks the part but gotta work on a lot first time I saw an opponent who want scared of Aj and he went in done he job fair play Ruiz !

Yep Klitschko backed off should of finished him but tried to give him a boxing lesson and got caught and back fired! He’s to over hyped AJ in my opinion but I hope he proves me wrong

Everyone made excuses for him mate but he just got done signs have always been there n he played on aj weaknesses brilliantly he just been promoted excellent by Matchroom he’s been created ppl like fury have it naturally n I hated fury lol even whyte I think beats aj now he’s different fighter altogether since there first fight

Back