Linux Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala): Are You Experiencing Problems?

hadmad

VIP Member
Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala): Are You Experiencing Problems?

Posted: 03 Nov 2009 03:37 AM PST

Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala): Are You Experiencing Problems?

Ubuntu finally released version 9.10 of their popular open-source Operating System on the 29th of October, however it seems that there are a lot of users wishing that they had stuck with the previous version of the OS.

According to a recent article on TheRegister it seems that people who have installed Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala)
Ubuntu Linux 9.10 Hands-on Review : Product Reviews Net
are experiencing a wide-range of issues, figures suggest that only 10 percent of people who have installed the latest version have gone completely smoothly, however a fifth of all installations are said to have resulted in “unfixable issues”.

There are a wide range of problems being reported, this includes blank flickering screens, “defaulting to the old 2.6.28 Linux kernel” and also problems with encryption.

It is thought that users who are doing a clean install of the OS are experiencing less issues, however this is not ideal for all users, find out more on TheRegister.
Early adopters bloodied by Ubuntu's Karmic Koala ? The Register
As we hear any useful information regarding the problems we will try to keep you updated.

Have you had problems with Ubuntu 9.10? Describe your problems below.

Another Ubuntu 9.10 Review: Test Drive

Posted: 04 Nov 2009 02:51 AM PST

Another Ubuntu 9.10 Review: Test Drive

We recently reported that Ubuntu Linux 9.10 was released on Tuesday, which we offered a review of. However, this has now opened the floodgates for websites offering their own reviews of the new software, codenamed ‘Karmic Koala’ with The Inquirer offering its readers a test drive of Ubuntu 9.10.

The Inquirer decided the best way to offer a decent review is to install the software and have a play with it, so what did they think. The website downloaded the 32-bit ISO file along with the MD5SUM and MD5SUM.gpg files, they had done this in the hope of avoiding the slow download times from the overworked Ubuntu servers, but the gamble did not pay off.

The reviewer admits that Ubuntu is a vast improvement since the last time they gave the software a go and notice how more polished it has become. It is not all good though as the software does not feel solid and lacks the finesse that other Linux software has.

Inquirer also notes that Ubuntu 9.10 loads quick and easy and offer adequate system administration tools however; the layout of the software has also been improved. The bad point about the software is that it lacks a number of custom installation features.

For more details, visit THE INQUIRER - Microprocessor, Server, Memory, PCS, Graphics, Networking, Storage

Ubuntu 9.10 test drive - The Inquirer

Ubuntu 9.10 Vs Windows 7: 5 reasons why Linux wins

Posted: 04 Nov 2009 03:56 PM PST

Ubuntu 9.10 Vs Windows 7: 5 reasons why Linux wins

Are you a fan of Linux? If you are, you have probably already installed the latest version of Ubuntu (9.10)
Ubuntu Linux 9.10 Hands-on Review : Product Reviews Net
and are currently working your way around all of the new features.

We have found an interesting article from Computer World for you to read now
5 Reasons why Ubuntu 9.10 is better than Windows 7 - Computerworld Blogs
, which gives 5 solid reasons why they think Ubuntu 9.10 is already ‘better’ than Windows 7 - released on October 22nd.

The first reason is security, as they have stated that Windows 7 is still prone to a whole selection of malware programs, and still requires users to constantly keep on top of security updates, or risk being hacked.

Other reasons they have stated is the Cost, the simplicity of installing Ubuntu 9.10 and Ubuntu’s support for Hardware.

You may agree with the reasons mentioned there, you may not. It is still a very interesting article to read. Take a look, then give us your thoughts afterwards.

Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala): Installation/Upgrade Success Rate

Posted: 06 Nov 2009 10:37 AM PST

Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala): Installation/Upgrade Success Rate

Following the amount of replies on my previous post (Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala): Are You Experiencing Problems?),
http://www.product-reviews.net/2009/11/03/ubuntu-910-karmic-koala-are-you-experiencing-problems/
I thought I would research just how many people seemed to have problems with the release.

There seems to be a wide-range of problems associated with the new version, most problems seem to be associated with video playback and display-related issues, and by the look of it most problems seem to have occurred during an upgrade rather than a fresh install.

Within Ubuntu’s official forums a poll has taken place, which at this point had 2541 votes, the question asked was “What is your Karmic Koala install/upgrade experience ?”, of the 2541 votes 1392 had carried out upgrades, 471 of these said that the upgrade worked flawlessly, 494 of these said the upgrade worked but had few things to fix, nothing serious though and the remaining 427 reported that the upgrade resulted in so many problems that users have not been able to solve.

The remaining users carried out fresh installs, of these fresh installs 420 users reported the install worked flawlessly, 319 users reported that the install worked but there were a few things to fix, nothing serious though, the remainder of users (410) reported that a fresh install resulted in problems that users have not been able to solve.

I would imagine that the results of this poll are a nightmare for Ubuntu, as there seems to be no pattern what-so-ever, currently from what we can see Ubuntu have not officially addressed the issues with the release, therefore we cannot help you yet, our best advice is to avoid the OS verison for the time being.

Karmic Koala (Ubuntu 9.10): List of Tweaks and Fixes

Posted: 10 Nov 2009 01:07 AM PST

Karmic Koala (Ubuntu 9.10): List of Tweaks and Fixes

Following on from our post yesterday regarding an audio fix for those of you with popping audio using Karmic Koala,Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala): Popping Audio Fix : Product Reviews Net we have now came across a very useful article which may help out some users who are experiencing problems with their Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) install.

The article was posted on WebUpd8 and is titled “Things To Fix / Tweak After Installing Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala”, in total there are 11 fixes/tweaks which cover a wide-range of aspects, from fixing your Internet connection to fixing problems with icons.

Other tweaks/fixes covered include fixing the Ctrl + Alt + Backspace behavior, fixing the Update Manager behavior, disabling the log-in sound, fixing the problems associated to NVIDIA’s xorg.conf file, fixing the previously mentioned popping sound and much more check out WebUpd8 for all of the tutorials.

If you have across any useful fixes and tweaks not covered in WebUpd8’s article feel free to post them in the comments section below, as always I must state that all fixes are at a users own risk.
Things To Fix / Tweak After Installing Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala ~ Web Upd8

Ubuntu 9.10 Crashes

Just upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10 from 9.4. 9.4 was nice and stable. Since upgrading to 9.10 my system crashes all the time. I can't pinpoint if something in particular is causing it. Usually happens while I am in FireFox surfing but has happened while working in other programs as well. Anyone know what I need to do about it. Got a crash signal but when I tried to open it, it was unable to open. If I can't fix this soon, I will have to try to go back to 9.4.

Back