Unable to flash OpenATV 6.4 with USB on Zgemma H9S - RESOLVED

panorama93

TK Veteran
I have tried several times to flash a Zgemma H9S box using Kingston 8gb USB (low level formatted with HDDGuru & then Windows Fat32) with OpenATV 6.4 (openatv-6.4-zgemmah9s-20221118_usb) but it only flashes the attached OPEN ATV screen, nothing else, and none of the Remote buttons work to change what is on screen. Has anyone else had this issue and can suggest a possible solution?

Attachments

• IMG-2003.jpg
    IMG-2003.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 3
I have tried several times to flash a Zgemma H9S box using Kingston 8gb USB (low level formatted with HDDGuru & then Windows Fat32) with OpenATV 6.4 (openatv-6.4-zgemmah9s-20221118_usb) but it only flashes the attached OPEN ATV screen, nothing else, and none of the Remote buttons work to change what is on screen. Has anyone else had this issue and can suggest a possible solution?
Can you not flash it via a command using putty or openwebif

I have also tried to flash with OpenVIX 6.3 (openvix-6.3.003.release-zgemmah9s_usb) but it only flashes the attached HISILICON screen, nothing else, and none of the Remote buttons work to change what is on screen.

Attachments

• IMG-2005.jpg
    IMG-2005.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1
When I tried to flash the first box online, it stopped with error message similar to the attached pic, and that is why I tried to flash with USB.

Attachments

• Whats-App-Image-2019-01-16-at-16-13-42.jpg
    Whats-App-Image-2019-01-16-at-16-13-42.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
When I tried to flash online, it stopped with error message similar to the attached pic, and that is why I tried to flash with USB.
Could be a memory issue its tiny on those h9s boxes. I find the sandisk usb sticks bullet proof for flashing zgemma boxes might be worth picking one up 8/16 gb

Last edited:
On the first H9S box (stuck on the OPEN ATV screen) I was unable to find its Name or IP Address on my network, so decided to have another go at flashiing from a USB.
I tried several USBs including Kingston, SanDisk and Toshiba before I found one that successfully flashed: Kingston DTSE9 16GB.
I copied the 3 installation files for OpenATV 6.4 (openatv-6.4-zgemmah9s-20221118_usb) on to the Kingston DTSE9 16GB USB.
Then I inserted the USB in the rear slot, held down the black reset button and switched on the white power button.
When I saw the red and white LED flashing I released the black reset button and the box was successfully flashed with OpenATV 6.4.
I hope that the above information is helpful to anyone else with the same issues.

On the first H9S box (stuck on the OPEN ATV screen) I was unable to find its Name or IP Address on my network, so decided to have another go at flashiing from a USB.
I tried several USBs including Kingston, SanDisk and Toshiba before I found one that successfully flashed: Kingston DTSE9 16GB.
I copied the 3 installation files for OpenATV 6.4 (openatv-6.4-zgemmah9s-20221118_usb) on to the Kingston DTSE9 16GB USB.
Then I inserted the USB in the rear slot, held down the black reset button and switched on the white power button.
When I saw the red and white LED flashing I released the black reset button and the box was successfully flashed with OpenATV 6.4.
I hope that the above information is helpful to anyone else with the same issues.
Secret with these h9s boxes is to keep a usb mounted for extra memory i have lost count the amount who have bricked them.

Secret with these h9s boxes is to keep a usb mounted for extra memory i have lost count the amount who have bricked them.
I have a H9S & have owned several zgemma boxes, i don't use a USB for extra memory & have never bricked. Zgemma are pretty bulletproof & crash loops are not "bricking".......easy to reflash & with multiboot slots, they're so easy to recover. My preference of image has always been openvix.....imo, easier to customise & back up.

The names Zgemma chose are weird in that the tuner capability is in middle of name instead of the end. And the various box model changes in the drivers is confusing too.

The "H9" range is different to "H9SE" range. You definitely need a method to expand the flash memory for the "H9" range. This is why Vix, Pure2 and others made functions to achieve that. Otherwise box runs out of internal flash memory pretty easily and does not boot fully.

I have the "H9S SE", the better name would have been "H9SE-S". It is an SE range receiver, with a single sat tuner.

The names Zgemma chose are weird in that the tuner capability is in middle of name instead of the end. And the various box model changes in the drivers is confusing too.

The "H9" range is different to "H9SE" range. You definitely need a method to expand the flash memory for the "H9" range. This is why Vix, Pure2 and others made functions to achieve that. Otherwise box runs out of internal flash memory pretty easily and does not boot fully.
Spot on as usual Abu

Back