unidentified network

my sons internet conection has just gone dismorning,limited access,unidentified network,all other pc,s in the house work fine,iv tryed google to find problem and tryed many fixs but still cant get it to work any ideas would be much apreceated,its runing windows 7 and is only 3 mounths old

Is this a wireless or wired connection?
Has it happened when all other pc's were on or does it still happen when they are off?
If its wireless is it a wireless card in the pc or a wireless usb dongle?

it was wirless and wired conecttion,what i done was turned off the macafee fire wall and it then worked but i could don turn on windows fire wall so i removed maafee altogeter but on reboot a problem accoured with the network adapter so i tryed roling back the driver but got the blue screen and every time i rebout now i get the blue screen,in safe mode too

Under the same options for safe mode will you select "disable automatic restart on system failure" this will pause the screen on the bsod and you can record the code that outlines the fault for the bluescreen and we can go from there to see if its a driver issue with the network adaptor.

I may be talking poop here but when you say unidentified network does that mean it will not connect to your network name with your password ( ie is there loads of other networks when you use the wifi. Plus why have you got it both wired and wifi. If its not directly connected to the router then you only need the wireless.
Sorry only trying to help!
When you removed mcaffee did you remove it properly via control panel or just delete. I dont like mcaffee as it caused all sorts of probs on one of my pcs!

First thing to note here, if you attempt to remove any of the major crap security programs you should always and only use the specific removal tool provided on their website. Failure to do that leaves all sorts of traces in both the registry and hidden Applications folder which in turn leads to all sorts of problems.

Norton and McAfee or both from the Symantec Corp. In other words they are one and the same and as far as I'm concerned they shouldn't be let within an asses roar of any computer. In many cases they actually block Internet access altogether.

McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe)

Dump McAfee and install MSE

You may just have to start up the window 7 disk and reinstall windows 7 alltogether but this time download a anti virus such as avast instead of MacAfee
I had to do this myself

Did you try a "System Restore"?

I would take gman's advice and get rid of MacAfee and use MSE and I really also like a free program called "Adware" been using it for a few years now and it does a really good job of catching things before they can infect your computer.

One more thing I would suggest you try is to power off the modem for about ten mins, sometimes it's as simple as the modem needing a power down.

Last edited:
Been doing a little reading on your problem, has your son installed any "itune' programs on the laptop?

Been doing a little reading on your problem, has your son installed any "itune' programs on the laptop?

I take it you are referring to "Bonjour"

In computing, Bonjour is Apple Inc.'s trade name for its implementation of Zeroconf, a service discovery protocol. Bonjour locates devices such as printers, other computers, and the services that those devices offer on a local network using multicast Domain Name System service records.

Greatest load of crap & should be removed (Removal won't in any way effect iTunes functionality)

-

Another thing you may want to try paddybongo is to remove your wireless network card from the laptop and see if you can then boot into windows. To do so, remove the flap cover on the base of laptop, then any screws that may be securing the wireless card (maybe 2 if any), and unclip the black and white wires from the card (make a note which goes where for when you put back in).

If you can then boot into windows, concentrate on getting the wired connection working for now, address the wireless later.

You got it Gman, it seems that this "Bonjour" program stops windows 7 from finding internet connections, there are a ton of posts on various sites with people having problems getting on the internet when they are running windows 7 with "Bonjour" installed and the advice others are giving is to remove it and then the connection problem goes away.

You got it Gman, it seems that this "Bonjour" program stops windows 7 from finding internet connections, there are a ton of posts on various sites with people having problems getting on the internet when they are running windows 7 with "Bonjour" installed and the advice others are giving is to remove it and then the connection problem goes away.

It can indeed but it doesn't happen on all systems.

The bottom line is that you don't need it and should remove it and that will ensure you avoid it blocking you internet connection.

You should also keep an eye on Apples updater software as it will attempt to reinstall the nasty little useless piece of crapware.

-

so if this bonjour is not needed why do apple insist on installing it with itunes. I have not uninstalled it one 1 pc and see if anything changes!

i dont think i have bonjour yet on mine, and have the new iTunes installed. It did do an update 2 days ago, maybe i should re-check again

so if this bonjour is not needed why do apple insist on installing it with itunes.

Why do a lot of other software houses try to dupe you into installing toolbars or try to set your homepage for you?

Control Linny, control.......

And if you need to hear it one more time? here it is,

"Remove Bonjour, You don't need it and won't miss it" lol

To true Gman, I can't begin to count the amount of programs that have asked me would you like to set this as your home page or would you like to install our tool bar and my answer is always "F$%& no I wouldn't", damn companies always want to know what you are doing :boo:

A good piece of advice is to never just click through the boxes when installing programs, always take a min. to read whats in that box, you never know what else you are installing ;)

Last edited:
i dont think i have bonjour yet on mine, and have the new iTunes installed. It did do an update 2 days ago, maybe i should re-check again

its not a new update J4 look in control panel if you got itunes you got Bonjour! i remember talking about this prog a yr or so ago

NINITE for all you regular required programs. No need to worry about crapware, hell you don't even have to click NEXT lol

Back