Windows 7 Upgrade to my Current HTPC (OS)

I've got a HTPC which serves it's purpose perfectly - downloading and storing films etc, ripping DVD's, watching live TV, a little streaming and gaming.
Now that I have got the message that the support for Win 7 is due to be discontinued, it seems to be a good time to upgrade.
When I built it I had the foresight to use 3 different hard drives. SDD No.1 is purely the Win7 OS, SDD No.2 is programs / software / apps and HDD No.3 is media storage.

What I plan to do is take out SDD's 1 & 2 and put in a new SDD and install Win 10.
First question; is there going to be any problems with that? I have assumed that the PC will see it as a new install? Maybe disconnect the HDD No.3 until the new OS is fully installed and up and running?

I also have a old HTPC setup that I sometimes play around with, currently has XP installed on it.
Now, what I thought that I could add the Win7 SDD to the machine and have some kind of dual-boot legacy HTPC / gaming machine.
Is this going to be a straight forward slip the SDD in, config to dual boot and way to go? Or will the Windows install on that HDD contain elements for a different mobo, drivers etc?
Would it easier to wipe the Win 7 OS on the HDD and start again as a new install?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

At work we've just 'upgraded' to Windows 7 from XP :LOL: The licence is probably cheap or free now.
I suppose if it does what you want, why bother upgrading.

I suppose if it does what you want, why bother upgrading.
Where I say that it works perfectly, there are a couple of apps that I want to try that only work on Win 10.....
My main concern is the security. I've spent a long time building up my media collection, the last thing that I want is for them to be infected by a virus.
The cost of the upgrade is going to be minimal. I think that OS licence will cost £10 and the SDD £20.

I would bung a different hdd in with Win10 on. You can always swap back then if it doesn't suit you.
I'm a Windows 8.1 dinosaur, been running it since it came out and only been destroyed by malware once lol

Back