Urgent help needed please

shivers

I recently sold something online and the buyer came to my house and paid by bank transfer, he cloned my phone and emptied my bank account the same evening. It took me five hours in the bank to get my money back and I had to open a new bank account. Banks fraud people are looking into it but I have been told it could take months. Reported to police who don`t seem to be very helpful.
Is there any way of stopping this from happening again and do you think that this person has expertise in doing this and has done it before?

You're very lucky to have got your money back.

The only way to 100% avoid this happening again is to only do business with reputable people and businesses.

It's almost certain the person who did it has done it before and will do it again to other people I'm afraid.

He paid you by bank transfer is this not a simple thing for them to trace the payment to you back to the payee ? Policing at its finest there.

Was it a phone you sold him then for him to clone it ? If not how did he manage that ?

He paid you by bank transfer is this not a simple thing for them to trace the payment to you back to the payee ? Policing at its finest there.

Was it a phone you sold him then for him to clone it ? If not how did he manage that ?
No it was a car headlamp. He had my mobile phone number and I don`t know how but by using this he was able to clone my phone. He with the bank transfer also had my bank account number.. Surely this takes a great amount of expertise to do this

No it was a car headlamp. He had my mobile phone number and I don`t know how but by using this he was able to clone my phone. He with the bank transfer also had my bank account number.. Surely this takes a great amount of expertise to do this
Well you gave him your account number and sort code. But he had to get your banking app details login etc to do this.

When i first read your post i wondered if you sold your phone and he had somehow recovered your banking apps details.

Have you wiped your phone, sounds like he put tracking software in it. And when you entered your bank details he was able to replicate. Also set up 2 step verification for all payments

I keep reading this and wondering if you both came into contact as in feet away and clone your phone that way.

Luckily i dont use phone for transactions and always use 2 step verification

Wow deffo need your wits about you more than ever

Well you gave him your account number and sort code. But he had to get your banking app details login etc to do this.

When i first read your post i wondered if you sold your phone and he had somehow recovered your banking apps details.
How was he able to do this?

Have you wiped your phone, sounds like he put tracking software in it. And when you entered your bank details he was able to replicate. Also set up 2 step verification for all payments
Police took my phone and I have had to buy a new one and get a new number.

I will never again allow bank transfer, in God we trust all others pay cash. No more phone banking either.

Sounds like a Near- field communication hack which is sadly more common nowadays. Its a feature on Mobiles now abbrieviated as NFC for contactless payments etc.
The buyer obviously has the hacking software on his phone to do this and works on the same principal as car fob cloning etc.

Sounds like a Near- field communication hack which is sadly more common nowadays. Its a feature on Mobiles now abbrieviated as NFC for contactless payments etc.
The buyer obviously has the hacking software on his phone to do this and works on the same principal as car fob cloning etc.
Which is why I don't use NFC , I don't understand why people need to use their phone to pay for stuff , just use your card and pin, none of this contactless shit either, none of my cards are contactless.

So in your opinion is this bloke a professional hacker ? He now has all information on my phone, should I notify all my contacts to check their bank accounts?

So in your opinion is this bloke a professional hacker ? He now has all information on my phone, should I notify all my contacts to check their bank accounts?
when you say he emptied your account, did he just do loads of card transactions or did he transfer money out of your account?

i.e did he have just your card details or access to your bank account?

Very much doubt he will have access to other accounts from your phone etc.
How was the account withdrawn was it digitally or physically

Makes you wonder now days with people as they can air drop your phone on iOS ect by the sounds of it he didn’t transfer any money or maybe he did and he just emptied your account in the process once you had seen the payment in your account.
I would ask was it 💯 the person who bought the part or could it have been someone else who had your details don’t forget people can clone cards ect nowadays and make it look like you emptied your account
Which is why I don't use NFC , I don't understand why people need to use their phone to pay for stuff , just use your card and pin, none of this contactless shit either, none of my cards are contactless.
even using chip and pin ain’t safe lol

Very much doubt he will have access to other accounts from your phone etc.
How was the account withdrawn was it digitally or physically
Digitally. Yes it was the purchaser who empyied my bank account and accessed all information on my phone.

when you say he emptied your account, did he just do loads of card transactions or did he transfer money out of your account?

i.e did he have just your card details or access to your bank account?
He accessed my bank account and also all information on my phone.

Makes you wonder now days with people as they can air drop your phone on iOS ect by the sounds of it he didn’t transfer any money or maybe he did and he just emptied your account in the process once you had seen the payment in your account.
I would ask was it 💯 the person who bought the part or could it have been someone else who had your details don’t forget people can clone cards ect nowadays and make it look like you emptied your account

even using chip and pin ain’t safe lol
It was the person who bought the part.

This sounds to me like you were sim-jacked, which relies upon a good deal of social engineering before the jack itself can be undertaken.
It's not really technically-based or hacking/cracking as such

I ran through some odd issues 2 years ago. I received notifications from my bank about transactions on my phone and when trying to ring my bank my phone wouldn't call.

I had to use another phone to ring my bank and during the call I had another notification saying another transaction was made so I cancelled my card at the time. Phoned my network and they said my sim card was cancelled.

I had to goto my bank on the Monday as they wouldn't resend a new card till I went in person with ID.

Luckily my phone was on WiFi to receive banking notifications or I would have had no clue until I needed to use my phone outside my house. I wasn't even making purchases at the time and Halifax fraud team never gave me an update.

Back