USB SATELLITE TUNER

moshibeth

TK Veteran
TK Supporter
Posted a separate thread on this so it will get noticed more. A lot of you have cable boxes and within a few weeks they maybe just a free to air box.This USB cable tuner is compatible with linux operating systems so if you have an expensive box it maybe worth getting one. I have not done it for quite a while but there is a plugin which can run a second box off the main box using the same tuner. Example box 1 will run box 2 but as stated i have not used this method in a long time. (Abu Banaz ) would know more than i do using this method.

I have not tried or tested this method but as stated Abu would know if there is a working method for the correct drivers or a similar device.

Hauppauge PCTV DVB-S2 Stick 461e digital TV tuner - USB 2.0

shopping.png
PCTV 461e FreeSat TV Tuner
Watch and record satellite TV on your PC!
Plug the PCTV 461e into a USB port on your Windows PC or laptop and you can watch, pause & record FreeSat satellite TV, both standard definition and HD. You can also watch the free satellite channels broadcast over Astra and Eutelsat in HD.

Record in the original HD quality
PCTV 292e tripleStickWatch, pause and record Freeview HD, Freeview SD
and "free-to-view" DVB-C on your Windows PC!
( click to enlarge )

The PCTV 461e allows you to record your favourite TV programs in the original HD quality. Make a movie or TV programme library from satellite TV, and watch them on your PC at any time!

Never miss your favourite TV show again!
The PCTV 461e comes with TVCenter 6 and DistanTV applications for Windows. With TVCenter, you can watch or record your favourite TV programs in your PC, in a window or full screen. TV recordings made with the PCTV 461e can be scheduled and played back from mobile devices as well as from the PC or Mac.

With DistanTV, the PCTV 461e can stream your favourite TV programs to your iPhone, iPad or your Android-based tablets or smartphones plus a PC or Mac.

The PCTV 461e turns your PC into a high definition satellite DVR
Plug the 461e into your PC and turn it into a HDTV digital video recorder (satellite DVR). With the included TVCenter 6 application, you can watch HD or SD TV on your PC screen, in a window or full screen. A built-in Electronic Program Guide (EPG) allows you to see what's on TV now and what's coming up. Schedule your TV recordings with the EPG. Plus pause live TV and record your favourite TV programs in the full digital TV format.

New! Now with support for LinuxTV
LinuxTV.org is now distributing the support for the PCTV 461e, so if you are building your own Linux system and want to add TV, the PCTV 461e is for you! To get the latest Linux support, make sure you are using Linux version 3.16 or later. For more information, go to LinuxTV.org.

Last edited:
You don't need a plugin to stream to a second box on ViX.
You just select client mode and enter the IP of the main box and set it to import EPG.
It was via atv when i did it last time willo as myself and bangord30 was testing different things out, Was about 3 years ago now

Would you say if this usb tuner is able to work on a vix supported box then you can run the second box using the same tuner ?? Or would the 1 st box need to be in standby mode ??

Yeah was looking into this a while ago for using a slave box on atv but could not find a solution only a mention by willo about vix in client mode etc

Ideally the master box will have atleast 2 tuners to allow both boxes to be used at the same time. If only 1 tuner then you'll be limited on channels on the same transponder on the main box.

I use a sundtek DVB-S/S2 usb sat tuner on my uno4k.

Yeah was looking into this a while ago for using a slave box on atv but could not find a solution only a mention by willo about vix in client mode etc
You can use channels importer on ATV this is similar to vix client mode but vix has it built into tuner config

Ideally the master box will have atleast 2 tuners to allow both boxes to be used at the same time. If only 1 tuner then you'll be limited on channels on the same transponder on the main box.

I use a sundtek DVB-S/S2 usb sat tuner on my uno4k.
Are you installing drivers then to mount it dsayers. Just thought this would be a good thread for anyone using cable to switch over to satellite.

Are you installing drivers then to mount it dsayers. Just thought this would be a good thread for anyone using cable to switch over to satellite.
Yes just install sundtek control centre from plugins, extensions reboot and check it's detected on the plugin

1_0_19_5230_812_2_11A0000_0_0_0_20200608170705.jpg

I had a few issues when I first got it but sorted out by sundtek support chat.

Yea not the cheapest but I wasn't sure what sat tuners have the drivers cable tuners seemed to be cheaper at the time. Maybe others can suggest cheaper options that e2 boxes have drivers.
If you have a £200+ box with the build in hard drives and then £60 is a better option than a new device. Better still if you have 2 or more boxes which can be linked.

Probably not ideal as you would want a spear tuner to connect to each client box if using at the same time. Maybe a cheap twin tuner box and use that as a master box to connect to the cable box.

Or a usb tuner if you're not wanting to use client mode

I have an old h2s in a room that has no sat feeds and I use channels importer on it connecting to my vu+ UNO cable box and it works pretty well, well does until end of this month. imports the channels and epg from master box. Might switch them round when cable goes but not sure I fancy going back to less powerful box for everyday use so may just stick to IPTV and Freeview. These life changing decissions do my head in LOL

Is that channels importer a plug in on the box etc ?? Not really looked into it properly yet with not having much time with work committments and projects etc .

Ive got a spare os mini cable box sat doing nowt and just wondered about chucking iptv on it as a back up downstairs when my other box upstairs aint being used much.

Back