Using the road properly

Not if every one moved to nearside lane when the chevrons indicated to do so. lf you need to be through the bottle neck sooner leave starting point sooner(y)
Fair point but I was comparing with Norway where because there is a law in place that people understand, both lanes can be used to their full extent.

Imo you should use the full lane until the point it ends, what's the point having a big tailback in the first lane when two lanes are available? Unfortunately in practice people do not understand how to merge in turn and think that because they're in the left hand lane they have priority and that people in the right are cutting in.
I agree with this and use this method myself

its a simple process of merge in turn, we have a road near us that goes from dual to single carrageway, if everyone sat in the left then it would cause issues on the Roundabout a couple of hundred yards behind, using both lanes, means twice as many cars can que before it spills onto that round about, and we all know idiots don't keep round abouts clear.

If you have 2 lanes of 25 cars, or one lane of 50 cars, it's going to take just the same time for the que to go down, IF people take notice of the 'Merge in turn' road sign and follow the clear instruction .

So if you are in a Q at the super market checkout it is ok if others push in front of you is it? which makes it slower for every one.
It‘s not pushing in , it’s merging …in an ideal world it works , but like most people sometimes I scoot up the right hand lane and sneak in and sometimes I’m in the left hand lane bumper to bumper with the car in front not letting the cheeky b*****ds in . Supermarkets don’t have the merge system.

Back