Vauxhall Meriva SE 2012 immobiliser problem

Taylerlee

The wifes Meriva wont start (or turn over) and the immobiliser fault symbol (flashing orange lock) is showing. I dont have a pin code for the car (now realise I should have got it at time of purchase). I have changed the car remote battery - no success, we only have one key, I have also left the symbol flashing for over 20 mins as told on utube but it did not go out. I was going to disconnect and reconnect the battery but before I did I rang a mobile locksmith who told me not to. He said if I have not got the passcode/pincode I must go to Vauxhall and get the correct pin and will cost about £35. Once I have got that he will I think come along and sort it out via the ecu? and it will cost me £65 assuming its straight forward. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. To be honest if the locksmith does the job and it works it doesnt sound dear but just checking for alternatives..

Thanks cactikid for your contribution, however the locksmith I spoke to said the problem will be in the ecu where the code needs resetting. According to him if I had a second key it wouldnt help, also the key in the video is a different construction to mine. Thanks again.

Does the key zap open/lock the doors,if not its a key issue,does manual have a guide in reprogramming the key?

Yes the key remote functions perfectly for remotely opening and locking vehicle. Key into ignition turns vehicle on but will not allow vehicle to start i.e turn over and it displays an error symbol on dash to show there is an issue with the immobiliser so it is saying the immobiliser has not been deactivated to allow the car to start. Radio, windscreen wipers, everything else works. Thats where the code comes in and apparently I get that from Vauxhall as I didnt get it with car. Research on google shows ways of getting the pin from the mcu dump? but have not got a clue.

Hi
I'm assuming your car is a meriva b with suicide doors and your r/c key fob works the car locks remotely.My Meriva has refused to start with the lock symbol flashing on the dash board and was cured by removing the negative terminal of the car battery for 10 min I didn't have to put any codes in. The only problem after was that several codes come up on the dashboard which was cleared by winding each window down and back up.i don't know what code your electrician is asking you to get unless it's the one to protect the radio ? Hope this helps but do it at your own risk

Hi
I'm assuming your car is a meriva b with suicide doors and your r/c key fob works the car locks remotely.My Meriva has refused to start with the lock symbol flashing on the dash board and was cured by removing the negative terminal of the car battery for 10 min I didn't have to put any codes in. The only problem after was that several codes come up on the dashboard which was cleared by winding each window down and back up.i don't know what code your electrician is asking you to get unless it's the one to protect the radio ? Hope this helps but do it at your own risk
I had the same issue. Removed negative terminal for five minutes. Got it started again. Took it for diagnostics indicates a key reader fault but hasn't happened again since. Have you had any further issues? I have a suicide door lock issue that's just started too. Cannot tell if they are related. Seems to be just bad timing. Locking mechanism seems to be a common part failing on this car.

Just thought I would do an update 16 months after original post! The remedy suggested by Edd and confirmed by Alison T does indeed work as I have now used it on several occasions. Just a case of removing the negative battery terminal for a few minutes then reconnecting. Starts up straight away then. Then you go through the ritual of opening the windows in rotation as explained in the handbook to get rid of the error codes.
This problem aside the Meriva is a cracking small car which is very versatile, but you dont know when its going to let you down. Since September 2019 its done it about 5 or 6 times and the longest period between breakdowns about 6 months. I have got quite quick at resetting it probably takes me 10-15 minutes to disconnect, reconnect and remove error codes. Happy Motoring!

I tried this undoing the negative for 5 minutes and reattaching it on my 53 plate vauxhall meriva ... Worked perfectly, thanks folk's.

Back