Vertical positioning?

harmand

What do you think about placing the H5 in a vertical position?
The space on the sides of my new tv set is not enough to sit the H5 on... its feet, unless I move the tv all the way to the right (or left), which would look quite bad.

I wonder if vertical positioning could cause overheating problems...

I would try it. But I think you would be changing the ir port on it. The direction it picks up the signal. So you might find it harder changing channels

I found it heats up far too much even when horizontal. My previous placement had about 2cm clearance and was getting hot

I had a H2S on its side in a cupboard for 2 years, never managed to break one yet (y)
There must be sufficient airflow through the top and the other side.
Some boxes tend to run hot anyway. My Ultimo does and I think Technomate do too.

... Some boxes tend to run hot anyway. ...

When I checked yesterday my H5 (placed horizontally and 3cm away from the surface underneath), the "info" command reported 93°C (!!!), while the unit was showing a sat channel and recording another.
Half an hour later, however, the temperature had dropped (so to speak) to 79°C, despite the unit being in the very same operating situation...

To me 93 is damage to follow like dry joints check your box has fan control and adjust if you can.
Side of tv would normally be hot and not a good place ,under would be better.

To me 93 is damage to follow like dry joints check your box has fan control and adjust if you can.
Side of tv would normally be hot and not a good place ,under would be better.
I also thought 93 degrees was unacceptable and quite worrying (to say the least), but reading many users' opinions I came to learn that high temperatures seem somehow "normal" in these units.
Anyway, I'm afraid there is no fan control in the H5, because... it has no fans at all. :]
So the only way of providing a "proper" cooling, as to keep the CPU under 60/70, would require opening the box and modifying it in some way; this however would break the warranty, wouldn't it?

One is allowed to open up boxes to fit internal hdd with care,others have used laptop coolers to keep boxes cooler,is there a small usb plug in fan to run when box is on,leaving top cover off is a no no as exposing live circuits.

Actually I could manage to fit an external PC fan, 80mm diameter or even bigger (and slower), but that would inevitably introduce some noise, which is now absent.
Moreover, I wonder if such a cooling, "additional" to what decided by the designers, is actually necessary.

We can obviously speculate that designers know the passive cooling to be insufficient and don't care (in order to spare money) or we can even imagine they intentionally designed an insufficient cooling in order to be sure the units will not last... too long.
But we can also think they know the cpus and circuits can well cope with the high temperatures they normally work at.

I've been reading a lot of reviews and users' comments about this H5 unit and I have to admit I never ran into complaints about overheated/burnt cpus or boards; maybe it's just a coincidence, maybe not... :]

Back