Virgin Media cable signal booster CATV 2 way HDU-200

You just need a attenuator (5db) should do it. This will reduce your signal.
I have a 6db attenuator fitted now to get it to the +5+6 and have to fit 2x 6db attenuator to get it down to the zero range. Don’t really want to have 2 attenuators connected to be honest.

I have a 6db attenuator fitted now to get it to the +5+6 and have to fit 2x 6db attenuator to get it down to the zero range. Don’t really want to have 2 attenuators connected to be honest.
Why?
if you fit two X 6db attenuators and it plays the channels ok, what's the problem?

You didn’t say you had one fitted.
Just remove the attenuator you have fitted and that will bring it down to a decent level.

I have a question about these. Do they isolate the two outputs from each other?

The reason I ask is that I just have a splitter (Labgear 1Ghz) and all my levels are fine in the router and in the cable box. All good.

However, if I upload a load of data (easily replicated with the upload bit of an internet speedtest) the data spewed out by the router goes up the cable box and makes the channels break up. Doesn't matter which channel, and it isn't blocking the line either. The SNR plummets.

So I was wondering if the active splitter provides some isolation between cable box and router and if that would cure it.

Ah - found the specs online.

"The high port to port isolation and excellent spurious suppression capabilities prevent high level modem signals interfering with radio or TV signals"

You didn’t say you had one fitted.
Just remove the attenuator you have fitted and that will bring it down to a decent level.
Ok think I am confusing you a little bit.
If I have no attenuator fitted my levels are over +10
If I have one 6db fitted it goes down to +5
If I fit 2x 6db attenuators fitted it goes down to around 0 which is where I guess it needs to be.

The question I was asking was what effect would the cable booster have.
Are they really only any use if your levels are way past say -10 and the booster would boost them to a decent level, is that how it works?
Or does it work the other way? if my levels are +6 would a booster shoot them way up past +15 which is obviously too high?

Last edited:
The signal booster is what is says. It will boost the signal if its too low. If your signal is to high you don’t need one. You need the attenuator to reduce high signals which you have in place.

The signal booster is what is says. It will boost the signal if its too low. If your signal is to high you don’t need one. You need the attenuator to reduce high signals which you have in place.
Ok Thanks for the reply, I was getting my wires crossed after reading something else about the booster that led me to think otherwise than the obvious. cheers again.

I have a question about these. Do they isolate the two outputs from each other?

The reason I ask is that I just have a splitter (Labgear 1Ghz) and all my levels are fine in the router and in the cable box. All good.

However, if I upload a load of data (easily replicated with the upload bit of an internet speedtest) the data spewed out by the router goes up the cable box and makes the channels break up. Doesn't matter which channel, and it isn't blocking the line either. The SNR plummets.

So I was wondering if the active splitter provides some isolation between cable box and router and if that would cure it.

Just to tidy up my own query, got an HDU-200 for a tenner of ebay. Yes it does stop return path data (large uploads) from the router swamping the cable tuners, unlike a passive splitter.

Back