Virgin Media UK to Launch 500Mbps Broadband in Spring 2019

I'm happy with what I have...

8076142756.png

They need to upgrade the backhaul before they offer higher speeds. Their network gets numerous complaints of congestion, this will just make it worse IMO.

I'm happy with what I have...

8076142756.png
It baffles me that they offer such high peak download speeds but their upload speed is no better than BT Infinity 2, although I see the 500mb package will increase this to 35mbps.

Last edited:
It baffles me that they offer such high peak download speeds but their upload speed is no better than BT Infinity 2, although I see the 500mb package will increase this to 35mbps.
Try Vodafone Gigabit Broadband. I am getting more than 1gb wired and almost 500mbps wireless. Vodafone has started a Gigabit price war in Ireland with providers offering Gigabit from only €10 month. All thanks to the EU Broadband policy.
Connectivity for a European Gigabit Society - Digital Single Market - European Commission

They don't need to provide it.
The only thing they need to do is sell it, it's the same as any other data/tech related product.
You pay for it, then you think you're getting something, and you are, on paper.
In reality it's a different story......How come my download speed isn't much different now I'm on 50mb than when I was on 'Superfast' 512k?
It's been said the windows versions and apps have changed, my experience hasn't changed much, seriously, I've only noticed one difference and that was when I went from dialup to 256k broadband, and that was only a con to get dialup customers onto broadband, they upgraded me from 256 to 512, then to 1mb, 2mb, 5mb, 10mb, 50mb and all the rest and it's no different for normal usage.
I could use Youtube in 2006 just the same as now and it's made no odds whatsoever.
Ten times the price mind, and that's the main thing

IMO Virgin is by far the best mainstream broadband provider. Voda gigafast does look interesting though. I wish I could get hyperoptic though.

IMO Virgin is by far the best mainstream broadband provider. Voda gigafast does look interesting though. I wish I could get hyperoptic though.
The ROI government has implemented EU broadband policy and forced domestic providers like Vodafone to increase their speeds to 1gb but as Britain plans to leave the single market there is little or no pressure on providers to increase the pathetic broadband speeds.
Connectivity for a European Gigabit Society - Digital Single Market - European Commission

A few Months back, I switched from an Openreach based FTTC to FTTP. I noticed a visible improvement of latency with web pages loading much faster, that would be due to the change of delivery method rather than speed increase. Unless you're downloading a huge file, you won't notice any difference with a speed increase from the same provider using the same delivery method and routing.

some will justify it with 4k content, imo if your household cannot manage with a 30-50mb connection you have too many children with too many gadgets all made out of plastics. As a PC gamer latency is far more important to me than unused bandwidth.

Last edited:
Not sure I agree. If you have someone streaming iPlayer 4K for the football and Netflix 4K at the same time it could cause an issue on a 30-50mb connection.

Also, for those who install large game/system updates it will certainly be a help. I don't game a lot but invariably when I want to play some X-Box after a couple months there are multi-Gb downloads to go through first. Anything that speeds that up is a bonus.

For the average use of HD streaming/music streaming, web browsing it's probably not going to make a difference.

I know with downloading from sites most have a cap on speeds anyway, Microsoft do. I never get anywhere near my download capability on x-box. In fact any site I download from.

Why would you even need such speeds. Just be paying for something you won't ever use.
My Zgemma H7S box has a 1Gbit Ethernet Interface and I am using Vodafone Gigabit broadband on fibre optic cable on special offer €25 a month. They don't provide any slower speeds, their minimum is 1Gb. The only other local fibre optic cable provider is Virgin Media and they charge more than double at €55 a month for only 360Mbps which is their minimum with no slower speeds available. The current EU policy is that providers must now provide home users with a minimum of 100Mbps with optional upgrades up to 1Gb.

Cant even get my head around how some have 300mb and 1GB speeds for so less be it with Vodafone or other providers.

VM the thiefs that they are (mind you most corps are anyway) are robbing us blind. Nearly £40 for bloody 100mb!!! which is a pure rip off. Told brother to move to plusnet or someone like that but too damn lazy. In effect giving them free money every month.

Dont get talktalk or vodafone 1GB speeds here. Hyperoptic is something I read about few years ago but that aint available here.

Despise VM with a passion. Crap service/products. Not full speeds 24/7. Tied in contract and cant even negotiate lower price because they have got you by the you know what and can rip me you off for however long they want.

Back