Virtual MAC address for MAGBOX

Taylerlee

I want to use a Magbox and a STB Emulator app on 2 tv's. I only want to use one app/device at any one time. I have contacted my iptv supplier and they are ok with me using both devices on a single device sub but as I say one at a time. The problem I have is I have a virtual MAC address for the STB emu app but the help desk tell me I have to use the same virtual address for the app and the box. So how do I alter the Magbox to a virtual address? Been through the settings and cannot see where you would change it.

Does every device not have its own Mac a dress therefore cannot share Mac address. Provider should no that it's not possible to add two mac adresses to one sub. M3u yes add to as many devices as you like mag is one connection per sub or so my provider says ( I can have 5 connection but one mag device (

https://smart-stb.net/index.php?_url=/kb/faq/how-to-change-virtual-mac

We do not allow you to enter your own MAC address because if you enter the same MAC address as the MAG STB (or any other BOX or Emulator) you will get your account BLOCKED! Providers have other ways of detecting your Device so MAC address is not the only identification. Thank you for understanding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Dark I think you are probably correct however when I messaged the help desk they suggested using a virtual MAC address on the mag box if that isnt possible job done, cannot be sorted and thanks for your help its just that they state that you can use any number of devices as long as you dont use more than one at a time. Its not a massive problem as I already have the SIPTV app on the 2nd tv and obviously that doesnt cause a problem as it uses the m3u list. Anyway cheers m8.

I want to use a Magbox and a STB Emulator app on 2 tv's. I only want to use one app/device at any one time. I have contacted my iptv supplier and they are ok with me using both devices on a single device sub but as I say one at a time. The problem I have is I have a virtual MAC address for the STB emu app but the help desk tell me I have to use the same virtual address for the app and the box. So how do I alter the Magbox to a virtual address? Been through the settings and cannot see where you would change it.
You have to set the the mag box mac address as the virtual mac in stb emulator not change the mac address on the mag box

On a process of ellimination I had worked this out. When I registered with Smart-Stb.net it generates a virtual mac address automatically. I took out a ticket with their help desk about 18 hrs ago explaining that I needed to change the virtual address to the same as the mag box address and I am awaiting a reply. Whan I eventually get a result I will do another post.

Just got a reply from Smart-STB.net and its not the one I was hoping for so as there is no confusion I have cut and pasted it :-
Hello XXXX, We can not use a custom virtual Mac address Changing Virtual MAC will cause your subscription to get blocked by the Service Provider.

Doing this is not recommended.

More info:

https://smart-stb.net/index.php?_url=/kb/faq/how-to-change-virtual-mac

Kind regards,

Smart-STB support team.

I dont know if the situation is different if you had 2 tv's each with emulators may be you would get away with it.

StbEmu allows you to use a virtual mac if you have an android tv or device I'n not sure though if they make the app for other devices

Yes I have a virtual mac address for the stb emulator. What I wanted is for the virtual address I generated to be changed to the same address as my magbox but they wont do it.

Correct me if i am wrong ...As far as i can make out you can only use the virtual mac on the stb prog as it is generated by smart-stb and this is given to your provider for ...

You can manually edit your virtual MAC address in STB EMU and if it matches
the details your server has it will connect, you don't need to use the default.
(They are Hexidecimal numbers, hence the letters in the MAC address)

Not sure how this ties in with using the same one as your MAG box, I would clarify with
your server.

Ok so if i install stb emu on my smart tv (LG) can i then edit the mac to resemble my mag box ? if not will my provider be able to supply to my TV using the Virtual Mac or am i way off the mark as i would like to give this STB EMU a go instead of SIPTV ..

I would check that your server is happy with what you are doing.

I am sure if they are both on at the same time you will get a straight ban.

But yes, if he is happy there is no reason why it won't work.

Get your actual MAC address off the MAG box.

Install STB EMU, and edit the default one to match the one on your MAG.

I can have 5 connections on my sub but one Mag (mac address) connection.
Dave all the messing around and ask provider for a discount for a new connection same ip... if there any good it shouldn't be a issue

Hi Bees I am hoping you are correct but let me just recap on my experience. I already have a Magbox on tv 1, tv 2, a Samsung Smart I have downloaded STB Emu and it has generated a virtual Mac address. I contacted my supplier and after several emails they said if I changed the Virtual address to the same as the magbox they had no objections as long as 2 devices not used at the same time. So I thought problem solved. Now at this stage I am registered with Stb-emu but when I attempt to change the address to the magbox address it tells me to contact the help desk which I did and they replied as I have explained in message #6 of this thread, basically no. I even told them in my email my supplier was perfectly happy. Have you actually done what you explained in your response? If so can I pm you to discuss it?

Hi, yes I have done it.

I set up my mates MAG and entered the MAC address with my server.

I then unhooked the MAG and set up an MXQpro android box running STB EMU, instead of messing about
changing the MAC address with my server I just edited the virtual one and it worked fine.

My server was allowing his old sat lines to be converted to IPTV lines so I had a few boxes and lines on the go to try and get up to speed, MAG, Android, E2 so was using a mix of boxes and connection types, MAC address, config files, putty etc.

If your server is happy with it, I don't see what the problem is.

The post above by darkavenger seems to point out that if two devices are using the same MAC address
at the same it's a ban, regardless if it's a MAG box or emulator. Which is the way I understand it.

Last edited:
So did you activate the app initially with the virtual mac address then once up and running edit the address to the magbox address?

No the other way around as it happens :grin::grin::grin:

I had converted one sat line to IPTV, set up a MAG with it's genuine MAC address.

I also had an Android box to do using STB EMU, so I used the above MAC address to see if it would connect to the server and it did.

I then converted a second sat line for the Android over to IPTV and used the default virtual one for STB EMU.

There is an article online somewhere which advises if you have connection problems to
manually change the last three sets of digits so I don't see what the problem is.

https://www.htpcguides.com/setup-android-stb-emulator-iptv/

Last edited:
Back