Virtual PC.

gillettos

I'm looking at setting a seperate environment for carrying out torrent downloads etc and looking and cracks and hacks.

Am I right in thinking if I set up a virtual PC with a free win 10 on it to carry out these activities. Once happy I can transfer the files I want back onto the main PC then re build the Virtual on should it be infected etc.....

Just never really worked with Virtual PCs, any recommendations would be greatly apprecriated in any form, ie, there purpose, concepts, reasons, advan/disadvan's, etc etc.

Thanks in advance
Weeman

It all rather depends on what you are trying to protect yourself from.
When you build a guest virtual machine on a host physical machine, the guest will require access to the host's facilities (ie networking services and internet access for example), and if you start torrenting from within the guest, the host and the LAN to which it is connected is "exposed" (in networking terms) much as it would be as if you were torrenting on the host itself. A VPN helps in this regard. A VPN can be used on either or both guest and host.
From the point of view of intrusion from an external source, using a guest vm adds a degree of complexity which has to be "hacked through" if someone is having a crack at you, but when all said and done it is not usually that difficult to pass through a vm to it's host (particularly where windows is involved).
That being said, vm's can be good fun. It's an interesting subject generally, and you can for example build up a vm and use it knowing that you have if you wish a "disposable" machine, where if you mess up, you can just junk the thing without compromising the functionality and integrity of the host, and build a fresh one, (very handy for irresponsible experiments). VM's can also be very good if you are curious about other types or versions of operating systems. So for example, if you fancy taking a Linux of BSD machine for a test-drive then a vm is often a good place to start, and you can play to your heart's content and learn stuff before deciding whether it's for you or not.

I'm looking at setting a seperate environment for carrying out torrent downloads etc and looking and cracks and hacks.

Am I right in thinking if I set up a virtual PC with a free win 10 on it to carry out these activities. Once happy I can transfer the files I want back onto the main PC then re build the Virtual on should it be infected etc.....

Just never really worked with Virtual PCs, any recommendations would be greatly apprecriated in any form, ie, there purpose, concepts, reasons, advan/disadvan's, etc etc.

Thanks in advance
Weeman
Yes virtual os can be good for testing but not always ideal depending on computer specs they can be slow there is also a thing called sand box build onto windows 10 just for testing files but video below on virtual machine.

have a look on youtube example

Been using torrent sites for many years and never had any issues with my pc so can't see the problem.
Yey I have also heard from many who say they don't even use virus protection there is always one day luck will run out :smiley: I got hit with ransomewere years back new variant no decryptor or remover available at the time took me many days to get things sorted out thousands of files had been renamed I did have system backups but my own mistake not a recent backup have since learned make regular ones.

Just use a sandbox , much easier and better.
And, ideally in Linux, you could dual boot it alongside your windoze

you can get a seedbox for about £5 a month, which is basically a VM on another pc somewhere else in the world that downloads/seeds your torrents and you download from there via FTP or upload via FTP if you want to create and share torrents. with kodi (and other things) you can directly access the ftp server and play media straight from it without downloading to your pc. so download torrent to seedbox, watch it and either keep or delete

you can get a seedbox for about £5 a month, which is basically a VM on another pc somewhere else in the world that downloads/seeds your torrents and you download from there via FTP or upload via FTP if you want to create and share torrents. with kodi (and other things) you can directly access the ftp server and play media straight from it without downloading to your pc. so download torrent to seedbox, watch it and either keep or delete
you can do the same with real debrid 16 euro for 6 months

Back