VOIP Answering Machine, and other random questions.

wheelo

Admin
Staff member
TK Supporter

Hi gang,
I wonder is it possible ~ without getting a landline, or new mobile number ~ to set up an answering machine for my charity work. Currently the lads mobiles are ringing at all hours of the day and night, and its obviously getting right on their partners tits with interfering with family life.
They are willing to get a landline in, but it's obviously an expense we can do without.
Basically he wants to use a laptop to take messages after a certain time of night, then in the morning, someone will go in and check them and respond to them.
Is this possible using something similar to skype/telegram/WhatsApp, that someone can pick up their phone, ring a number and it would go straight to laptop?

Any bright ideas?

Does anyone know how to get a .edu or other educational email address free of charge without trying to enrol in a Californian college.

I'm sure there were more questions, but I've forgotten them.

Cheers,
Wheelo

Try this for your mobiles I use it, as work have issued me with a 'naff' mobile phone so I have forwarded all calls to that number to my personal phone. This app allows me to send calls that I don't want to recieve to either voicemail or just send an egaged tone, you can pick your times etc without actually recieving a physical call on your mobile. A great app I beleive, stops all work calls when I want it too and only allows family and friends call through.

Call Blocker - Block Callers – Apps on Google Play

Last edited:
Nah, he doesn't want to block them, that would defeat the purpose. He wants to record them, and action them the next day.
Nor does he want to take out a new mobile plan (well I don't want another expense) or landline, if at all avoidable.

You could get that cheap sky mobile deal Hiteck posted (if it’s available in Ireland too). Turn the phone off at night. Sky do visual voicemail, so its easy to go through the messages later.

I’m not sure if visual voicemail would work on that phone, but you could use the sim in an old iPhone/android handset.

With WhatsApp you could set up a business account that gives an automated message reply to texts. Not sure if it can be done for phone calls.

Back