VPN Router Recommendations for MAG

Hi Guys

First post for myself.

Im looking for recommendations for a VPN router that can plug into my existing isp router with minimal fuss of setting up.

Ive been looking at asus routers as they seem simple enough.

Having major drop outs when watching football. Will only be running 2 x mag boxes off it

Asus or netgear, as both can have either....Tomato or DD-WRT firmware installed in them to run a VPN...

Some say, put your isp `s router into " modem mode "... but i left mine in router mode, and everything seems fine... Did you buy your router with " Tomato or DD-WRT " installed on it ??

Hi Guys

First post for myself.

Im looking for recommendations for a VPN router that can plug into my existing isp router with minimal fuss of setting up.

Ive been looking at asus routers as they seem simple enough.

Having major drop outs when watching football. Will only be running 2 x mag boxes off it
I set up mine last weekend. 2 Netgear R7000, one is running Netgear firmware and the other is Tomato. I configured Virgin Hub3 to run in modem mode only. I think Asus router came with DD-WRT firmware already installed, all you have to do is just set up your VPN service which is normally shown on their web site Tut. or Youtube. IPTV doesn't need a lot of bandwidth only 2-3mb, i think. Mine hardly have any issue, and i have 4 boxes running with only min internet package from Virgin.

Yeah the asus routers already come with the settings for vpn. Just inpur your details.

It was the plugging into the isp router thats thrown me a bit. BT are even throttling now if im streaming my paid netflix account which is frustrating

Yeah the asus routers already come with the settings for vpn. Just inpur your details.

It was the plugging into the isp router thats thrown me a bit. BT are even throttling now if im streaming my paid netflix account which is frustrating
disconnect other devices in the house and run a speed check first then you know where to start. Some IPTV server providers already have their vpn setup so you might not even need it. VPN will slow down your network for at least 10%

If using an ISP supplied router then it's best to put this in modem mode and then plug your secondary router into the ISP router.
Then configure the secondary router for your WiFi devices and any normal Ethernet cable devices that you normally plug in.
Only 1 Ethernet cable should be plugged into your ISP router to your secondary router.
Is you are looking at the Asus routers then flash it with Asuswrt-merlin (check compatibility)
Once flashed purchase your VPN provider and add the details to the router.
You can then set all devices to go through to your ISP and the 2 mag boxes through the VPN.
This would be my preferred way of utilising a VPN with streaming IPTV.

Back