VPN Router

Hi everyone. Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. I've tried adding my VPN on my zgemma using ipab. I can get this working but find that the zgemma can't handle this. So am thinking my next option is a VPN router? What is a good router to go to use? I'm not really sure what I'm looking for when looking online. Are there any specifics I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance

Most router manufacturers don’t allow VPN usage with stock firmware. The one exception is Asus, most of their routers handle VPN with stock firmware.

Alternatively you can buy other manufacturers providing they support DD-wrt or tomato (both are open source custom firmware that allow VPN usage). Once purchased you can flash the router with the custom firmware. You can find a DD-wrt compatible router list on google.

How many devices do you plan to connect? Wired/wireless/or both? The number of devices will affect the type of router you need in terms of processing power. More devices = more encrypting to do = more processing power needed.

Earlier in the year, I bought a Netgear R7000 and followed a guide to flash the required DD-WRT firmware onto it. I then signed up for IPvanish VPN and set the router up as an Open VPN client.

Has worked really well for me...I have four Fire TV devices and a NAS device connected to it. All of my other devices that I don't need behind VPN, I just leave connected to my regular VM Superhub router.

You don't have to be an expert, but helps if you are a little tech savvy when setting it all up.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I have a router that is flashed with tomato and used to have all my devices going out via the VPN etc. just bought a VPN service for £2.00 a month and they have supplied me with the openvpn config files, found a router for less than £20.00 that has openvpn config settings on it, you simply upload the config files and away you go, i'll let you know how i get on once it's here. I could mess about with the existing router that I have but since i only need one device to use the VPN (mag254) i thought for the price of it why not, that can sit on my network and use the VPN just for the mag :)

"OPENVPN CLIENT & TOR: OpenVPN client pre-installed"

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073TSK26W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.gl-inet.com/docs/openwrt/openvpn/

not connected to zgemma but i have Linksys 1900ac flashed with ddwrt and a PIA sub on it.
The cheaper alternative is to have GLi unit with your vpn sub. I use this when i am working away. i connect it to the hotels internet and can use my iptv/streaming services :-) also good for the times you are at a mates place for a PPV event :-)

Sounds interesting , I picked up an ASU’s rt n16 for £50ish works well as a second router running vpn for my Mac mini and Magbox.
I was interested in installing tomato firmware but have been unable to do it as the laters update from ASU’s seems locked down..
Any one have advice how to get around thiS please? I have tried downgrading using ASU’s Mac tool but the firmware recognisers what I’m trying to do.
Thanks.

absolutely mint for the price..tiny little thing as well, powered by a USB lead...dead easy to use, load your openvpn config file, mess with a few settings and wallah! all done...what ever device is connected to the LAN is now sitting behind the VPN. :)

41dfd0b7-a1d2-47fb-84e9-64d635589a36_zpsvylzzcb2.jpg

hmmm...posted a pic in the "for sale" section and got a like of the admin? i can see the above pic? it's hosted on photobucket? any way can post it again using that link....

cdBf9m

any way i thought i'd drop by with an update on the device.

it's not as easy as i first thought, once you give it a static IP address (for example i gave mine 192.168.1.222) you can't access it via your network, (so you can't get access to the web page via 192.168.1.222) you can how ever access it via your network using the web access IP address and your port (yes this sounds dutch) so for example 192.168.1.22:83) what I mean is you have to open a port on your router (i have 83 opened and have also added the static IP address of the router to DMZ.

you also get an external link that you can access but i'm not really wanting to open a port and leave that open via the WAN.

Have fun, up and working here for me via the VPN

13_12_2017_19_42_02.jpg

Last edited:
Earlier in the year, I bought a Netgear R7000 and followed a guide to flash the required DD-WRT firmware onto it. I then signed up for IPvanish VPN and set the router up as an Open VPN client.

Has worked really well for me...I have four Fire TV devices and a NAS device connected to it. All of my other devices that I don't need behind VPN, I just leave connected to my regular VM Superhub router.

You don't have to be an expert, but helps if you are a little tech savvy when setting it all up.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I have the same setup!! Picked up a Netgear R7000 for £80 from Argos, flashed with ddwrt and set up open vpn using ip vanish. It takes my 80mb connection down to between 35-58mb but I have 2 android devices, a Zgemma h2s, LG smart tv, dedicated plex server and several laptops and phones all going through it. Everything works fantastic! The pkex server also runs ducky tv so it's constantly downloading multiple tv shows and still I have no issues. My iptv runs near perfect on the zgemma, and 100% flawless on my new firestick using perfect player. Couldn't be happier. Netgear R7000 is a great choice imo.

I have a router that is flashed with tomato and used to have all my devices going out via the VPN etc. just bought a VPN service for £2.00 a month and they have supplied me with the openvpn config files, found a router for less than £20.00 that has openvpn config settings on it, you simply upload the config files and away you go, i'll let you know how i get on once it's here. I could mess about with the existing router that I have but since i only need one device to use the VPN (mag254) i thought for the price of it why not, that can sit on my network and use the VPN just for the mag :)

"OPENVPN CLIENT & TOR: OpenVPN client pre-installed"

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073TSK26W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.gl-inet.com/docs/openwrt/openvpn/
Hi strawdog
Not having issues at mo with any provider
However always have a vpn in mind & have already looked into the vpn provider you mention ££
How are these little gems set up
Thankyou

Quite easy to do, i bought a VPN for £2.00 a month over at https://digibitdesign.com/vpn/ and they will send you the openvpn config files.

attach the new router to your LAN and access the web interface of the router, (192.168.8.1) then give it a static IP address of what your network uses. (so i gave mine 192.168.1.222 rather than the 192.168.8.1 address

Under settings there's a "allow access via port 83 on the WAN that you enable.

Then in your normal router allow it either to be under DMZ (192.168.1.222) or allow port 83 to be open on your LAN.

Then simply attach the WAN port to your network and the LAN side of the router to your device that you want to use the VPN.

Then you can log into the router using 192.168.1.122:83

From there, go to VPN and upload your openvpn config file of choice. (good idea before you do this is to experiment with openvpn on your PC and the config files and see which one gives you the best upload and download speeds)

then in the router you simply upload the open vpn config file and input your user name and password that you get from your VPN supplier, as per screen shot above. then enable and wallah, away you go. the device that's connected to the LAN side will use the VPN.

Last edited:
attach the new router to your LAN and access the web interface of the router, (192.168.8.1) then give it a static IP address of what your network uses. (so i gave mine 192.168.1.222 rather than the 192.168.8.1 address

Under settings there's a "allow access via port 83 on the WAN that you enable.

Then in your normal router allow it either to be under DMZ (192.168.1.222) or allow port 83 to be open on your LAN.

Then simply attach the WAN port to your network and the LAN side of the router to your device that you want to use the VPN.

Then you can log into the router using 192.168.1.122:83

Hi Strawdog can you explain why is it necessary to implement these steps? In my experience all one needs to do is to power up and connect the wan port of the GLi router into any of the ethernet ports of the ISP router, and the GLi router's control menus can then be accessed by 192.168.8.1.

To secure the protection of vpn tunnel (after putting vpn on these routers, which takes under 5 minutes with a set of openvpn files from any decent vpn provider), all one then needs to do is select the GLi router as internet provider for the device (and the device would then be given an IP address of 192.168.8.X).

hmm.. i'm not using the ISP router, maybe that's what I missed, I have the virmin hub in modem mode and have my own router..with it's IP range starting from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.255

When it was connected to my network with the IP address of 192.168.8.1 i could not access the web interface, only way i could was to give it an IP address as mentioned within the range of my network. as it only has 1 LAN and 1 WAN then i figured that your accessing it via the WAN (192.168.1.122:83) as the LAN is connected to the said device of choice that you want the VPN to work on......so it has internet access set the default gateway to 192.168.1.1

Last edited:
Hi strawdog
Whats the difference in the other routers in question ie: yellow/ black/ blue/ white
Thanx
Idledawn

if you have a look under "routers" they have a break down on what the differences are, some have more NAND and RAM and some have external wi fi antenna, some allow free MAC address changes etc. :)

Back