VPN Router

I have experience of both the yellow and black. The critical thing to look at, for vpn purpose, are cpu and cpu clock rate - vpn encryption and decryption put heavy demands on the cpu, and this is nearly always the main reason for the huge degradation of line speed with vpn, so it is critical to pick a vpn router to meets one's vpn throughput needs. Vpn load on the cpu is of course also the reason why running a decent vpn protocol on any lower end enigma 2 box can be unsatisfactory.

I am basing my comments below on the GLi routers' current specs, which changed over time. Current specs are at https://www.gl-inet.com/products/

Forget the white, it has the weakest cpu.

The yellow and blue have similar, better, cpus. Blue has more ram/nand so can handle bigger programs so more "programmable", but such differences are irrelevant just to run openvpn using the onboard client. Irrespective of how high your ISP's internet line speed is, you won't get much above 8mbps up/down out of the yellow and blue ones running openvpn with e.g. 128bit AES.

They can be more expensive, but the black ones are the most powerful and can consistently deliver 13mbps (assuming your feed is above this of course and your latency / signal quality is not terrible), which means they can comfortably handle two hd streams through an openvpn tunnel concurrently.

One of the black models only has the wan port to connect to the ISP router (i.e. no other ethernet port), but is very cheap (just over £20), and would be an extremely cost effective vpn router if your boxes are only connected wirelessly, it would however preclude your running an ethernet line (with or without powerline adaptors) to your box(es).

If like me you are allergic to spending more money than you need to but want some flexibility, I recommend getting the more expensive (c£36) black one (it has the extra ethernet port). AFAIK no other router on the market can deliver a similar (and to me adequate for two devices streaming concurrently) speed running openvpn without your spending 2 or 3 times more.

IMHO they are cracking routers for the price, for the ease of implementing openvpn (which is generally considered the best vpn protocol), for their numerous other functionalities (as a bridge, as a file server, for tethering etc.), for their minute size, and powered by usb (e.g. portable powerbank).

For most people, making the router works with the ISP router should be a piece of cake (see http://www.techkings.org/threads/signal-in-loft.129337/#post-761072 ). To implement openvpn with most major vpn providers see https://www.gl-inet.com/docs/openwrt/openvpn/

Cheers!

nice write up mate.... :) and as mentioned they are cracking little routers, had mine up and running for a few days now (the yellow one) and have had no issues what so ever. and as mentioned, once you get your openVPN config files have a play with them on your PC and check which one is delivering the faster speeds. (i increased mine from about 6.8 meg to about 7.6 or so on the box....

Have fun

GLi is an awsome bit of kit. i have one set up but only ever use it when i go over to a mates place to watch a major even. ie ppv or london derby....
Also comes in handy when travelling around the UK on business and wanting to watch the i55 box in a holiday inn through free internet access :-)

It can be a little twitchy if too many things are connected but i only ever use it for one box and have the wifi disabled..

Also you can connect a usb dongle with a sim card and connect that.. not managed to get my work Vodofone dongle connected and set up yet but would make for an interesting experiment..

All depends on your needs I guess. I bought a router initially and flashed with ddwrt. Set up open vpn and was getting 8mb download......I nearly spat at it and reverted it back to original firmware, sent it back for a refund! No way am I having my 80mb fibre chopped down to 8mb! Besides I have loads of kit going through it so 8mb was no way gonna cut it. I managed to somehow get the Netgear R7000 from Argos for 79.99 (should be £130) and am much happier with up to 50mb through tbe vpn. No its not portable, but when away i just use my phone to connect to free Wi-Fi, run my vpn on the phone and Wi-Fi share to my device! Happy days!!

Hi strawdog
Thnx for the info
Ive just joined the GL inet forum and 1 reply has mentioned the black ar 300m
Would this work the same as mango with the vpn
Thnx

These little Gli routers are good fun little gadgets.....but as the max speed you will get through vpn is 6-8mb I just think they are severely limiting. By all means spend £20 on one and have a play. I suppose you could isolate your device using one these and hope it will be fast enough? When I had 8mb through a router I couldn't even get many streams to start?? And buffering lots when they did. But if people are saying you they can stream 2 hd feeds at once etc...Might just be me lol. If you check reviews online for these devices you will see lots of positive reviews, apart from when streaming video. Then they say get something more powerful as these buffer all the time. Do some more research online about their video streaming capability through vpn....then make a decision.

All depends on the needs of what you want/use it for. I agree the more power CPU/R
Hi strawdog
Thnx for the info
Ive just joined the GL inet forum and 1 reply has mentioned the black ar 300m
Would this work the same as mango with the vpn
Thnx

not just me, but speedy and everyone else that has contributed :)

I think most importantly is what you want and how much you want to spend on routers, I bought a "dark night" was £120 + at the time as I wanted all my traffic to use a VPN so i bought that as it has a really fast processor and loads of NVRAM so as mentioned if you want a really fast VPN then don't expect to get it from one of these routers.

I had the dark knight out the box for about 4 minutes before I flashed it with "tomato" so i could access all the lovely settings that it has with the firmware, :) everything that was connected to the router used my VPN connection. apart from one device that I didn't want to use the tunnel with.

As it stands at the minute, I'm quite happy with my setup, I have a team speak server and some other stuff that I'm not really bothered about using a VPN which sits on a small PC that's on 24/7, now that i signed up to digi-bit VPN i use openVPN on my PC, and also use one of the configs for the Gli router for my mag254 as mentioned earlier.

my mag254 has no issues with streaming HD channels and all seems to be working fine. Took a little while to find which openvpn config gave me the best speed to use with it. and of course chose a server which is closer rather than a one in outer Mongolia...lol

The reason that I don't or haven't set back up the dark knight using the VPN is for the speeds, gaming etc. sat on a 150mbps connection the VPN would only spit out about 40 - 50 meg using it.

Soooooo, as i only need the mag to be on a VPN constantly the Gli was the choice for me.

Have fun :)

@StrawDog

That's cool brother. My needs are different as I have a dedicated server running Plex and also downloading torrents automatically to populate Plex. Also have a Zgemma i55 and a Zgemma h2s running iptv. Then there are the 2 android devices running iptv/showbox/terrarium.....so I just got a nice powerful ddwrt capable router to sit behind my isp router and take all my devices through one vpn connection. The first router I tried was a linksys router I got for £20, but it could only provide 6-8mb through vpn, so I suffered from constant buffering. I got the R7000 and set the same vpn up on that.....I can download 10 torrents and stream to multiple devices without issue. So the £80 (special reduced price from Argos) was a great investment for me. I guess if I only had one device streaming.....maybe the little Gli router could handle it?! I'll never know

As I mentioned above, the power of the cpu is critical regarding vpn speed, so I do agree that in the ideal world you want the most powerful router you can afford (or you are prepared to pay), provided of course that the ISP feed is also high. For most non-fibre lines, I suspect one of the black GLi routers is close to optimum in terms of investment - there is not much point being able to encrypt/decrypt at 50mbps when the feed max at 15mbps, is there?

Even with a fibre feed, for quick download I use a pc connected to my ISP router, running the windows based vpn software the vpn provider supplies, which invariably works without fiddling of any sort. I suspect most people can approach or even beat 50mbps even wirelessly this way, and without spending a penny on any hardware. One of the advantages of adding a vpn router, is that your workload can be shared by the two routers.

I have never had any problem streaming two hd (not 4k) streams using openvpn with the Gl-AR300M, which as I indicated above delivers 13mbps consistently.

Another neat thing about these GLi routers, is that Openwrt is the native application (rather than dd-wrt or tomato, which are generally considered somewhat less powerful, see e.g. https://vpnpick.com/dd-wrt-vs-tomato-vs-open-wrt/), and it has the Luci user interface, accessible from the GLi GUI (top right hand corner), which amongst many things enables you to monitor throughput graphically in realtime, up and down, for each port. That should help you identify the cause of buffering/stuttering, if any. For a taster, see

Cheers!

dayum! wish i'd bought the black one now, I'd just looked for price when ordering and now I can see that the black one's are cheaper than the yellow one...DOH!

also, I used the V1 firmware that came with it so i haven't even used the "clean" firmware which has openwrt and Luci....argg....shall i pull it off the network and have a tinker with it....lololl

@StrawDog

That's cool brother. My needs are different as I have a dedicated server running Plex and also downloading torrents automatically to populate Plex. Also have a Zgemma i55 and a Zgemma h2s running iptv. Then there are the 2 android devices running iptv/showbox/terrarium.....so I just got a nice powerful ddwrt capable router to sit behind my isp router and take all my devices through one vpn connection. The first router I tried was a linksys router I got for £20, but it could only provide 6-8mb through vpn, so I suffered from constant buffering. I got the R7000 and set the same vpn up on that.....I can download 10 torrents and stream to multiple devices without issue. So the £80 (special reduced price from Argos) was a great investment for me. I guess if I only had one device streaming.....maybe the little Gli router could handle it?! I'll never know

Hello Bannosantoro i have just got the netgear r7000 what firmware are you using advanced tomato or dd-wrt as i was going to try kongs firmware

cheers paul

Would one of these work along with sly broadband just to connect into when I need to run off a vpn.?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Back