VPN routers

Thanks Speedy very informative but like most information it prompts more questions and I may be digressing from the subject of the thread but I will continue anyway! I was going to hot foot it down to Currys and buy one of these routers. I might add only as a bit of security as my IPTV has never been blocked, however I made an enquiry with the providers and although if I inform them I can use a VPN on my SIPTV they dont allow them on Magboxes or STB emu and as I have a Mag on one TV the router is not the potential solution I thought it was. I am just taking delivery of an android box for my main tv to replace SIPTV (had it 12 mths dont like the app) with Kodi or Perfect Player. Therefore would you think my best option is to put the VPN directly on the android box and for downloading use my PC with VPN as its fairly powerfull. I am quite happy to leave the Magbox as it is for the kids to watch VOD and kids channels. Would appreciate your opinion, would the VPN be faster and more efficient if installled on the android box than putting it on the cheap router (and save money) and as you say download torrents and so on from PC?

Hi it is impossible to say how well vpn will run on your new android box, because it would depend on the box.

Running openvpn, a decent pc would seldom if ever be beaten in speed by a consumer quality router.

Or one can do both. I have vpn on a dedicated router mainly because it makes life so much easier - it can be a bit of a pain (and indeed not always possible) to put vpn on each and every device, especially if you have a wide variety of devices, or devices are not exactly "mainstream" (e.g. Enigma 2 boxes).

Cheers!

Thanks Speedy very informative but like most information it prompts more questions and I may be digressing from the subject of the thread but I will continue anyway! I was going to hot foot it down to Currys and buy one of these routers. I might add only as a bit of security as my IPTV has never been blocked, however I made an enquiry with the providers and although if I inform them I can use a VPN on my SIPTV they dont allow them on Magboxes or STB emu and as I have a Mag on one TV the router is not the potential solution I thought it was. I am just taking delivery of an android box for my main tv to replace SIPTV (had it 12 mths dont like the app) with Kodi or Perfect Player. Therefore would you think my best option is to put the VPN directly on the android box and for downloading use my PC with VPN as its fairly powerfull. I am quite happy to leave the Magbox as it is for the kids to watch VOD and kids channels. Would appreciate your opinion, would the VPN be faster and more efficient if installled on the android box than putting it on the cheap router (and save money) and as you say download torrents and so on from PC?

You are asking another member here fair enough but i would just like to add that you are better using a vpn on a specific router that takes it.

You can also add open dns servers to kids devices to eradicate viruses/bad sites

Hi,

Just an update, i have OpenVPN working on the router with pureVPN and just ran another speed check and it is coming in at 11-12mb. The reason i wanted the vpn on the router was so i did not have to have the pc running all the time for the vpn to be active.

PC running well on websites and streams HD IPTV no problem so seems to do everything i was after without spending a fortune. Perhaps in hindsight i may have opted for a more expensive router but it seems to be doing everything i was wanting it to do.

Back