vw polo epc light on.

babs

TK Veteran
hi my daughters vw polo has a light coming on it says epc can anyone tell me what this means .thank you

might be a faulty brake light switch as some switches are wired up to ecu,also make sure brake light works also,they have a bulb fetish lol

EPC - Electronic Power Control (i.e. Engine Management system) fault. Means there is most probably something wrong with a sensor signal. Could be the brake light switch. When fault is fixed the light will go out.

The Epc light is electronic pedal control. The light will come on when there is a problem with the accelerator pedal control.

The mass air meter, throttle body, accelerator pedal, wiring from the accelerator pedal to the throttle body, wiring at the mass air meter, and of course the brake switch. The problem of being stuck in park is usually only one problem.

The brake switch not reading your foot on the brake pedal. So if the brake lights don't work, the epc light is on, and the vehicle is stuck in park then its either all four wires at the brake switch is bad or the brake switch is bad.

The switch can fail in all the symptoms , one of the symptoms, or share two of the symptoms. There have been a VW recall for many years on the brake switch.

Its been updated many times. Sometimes even new ones last a couple of weeks. If they`re installed wrong then the switch fails and a new one most of the time is required.

Wiring of the switch is for the engine module to let it know when to cut back on fuel and expect to close the throttle plate in the throttle body, the other wire is for the transmission module to let it know how to down shift and to expect a decrease in engine power. The other wiring from is for the brake lights. The transmission module sends a signal to the park neutral solenoid to unlock the lever when brakes are stepped on.

The new switch is most likely bad. The shift lock solenoid will not turn on the epc light but will keep the shift lever in park if the solenoid lock fails or gets soda on it. There is a recall on your vehicle called the N4. If this has not been done then go see the dealer. If it has been done then get the part warranted. Most of the time you can not return a electrical part after its been used.

Only way to return it is if a VW tech installed it and the part failed. So I suggest see the dealer for the recall. Its only been around for a couple of months. If you need more help keep in touch. Good luck.

From the net.

Last edited:
hi noely got the car checked in a garage set it up on dignostic and there was air getting in a tube had a tear and it was replaced. mechanic said this could have been the fault.thanks for your help.

Last edited:
hi noely got the car checked in a garage set it up on dignostic and there was air getting in a tube had a tear and it was replaced. mechanic said this could have been the fault.thanks for your help.
did the brakes feel funny as pressing very hard to stop,as the hose u describe sounds like the brake booster/servo hose which does fail on early vws and air would leak into engine affecting tickover and running smoothly.i would have said it would have put an engine light on in dash.

Back