Wayne Rooney 'will not sign new Manchester United deal'

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
Manchester United have been informed that Wayne Rooney will not sign a new contract with the club, according to reports from the Press Association.

58.jpg

Ferguson named Rooney as a substitute
against West Brom

The 24-year-old striker's current deal runs out in the summer of 2012 and it is understood negotiations over a new contract have broken down.

There has been speculation that Rooney will be sold in the January transfer window, with Real Madrid interested.

However, United's response was to label that claim as "nonsense".

Rooney's relationship with United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has been under scrutiny in recent weeks.

The striker missed United's Premier League fixture at Everton last month after allegations about his private life and he was then left out of subsequent games by Ferguson, who claimed he had an ankle injury.

However, last Tuesday, after England's 0-0 draw against Montenegro in a Euro 2010 qualifier at Wembley, Rooney contradicted the Scot's statement and insisted he was fit and had not had any ankle problem.

On Saturday, Rooney, who has scored only one goal in five Premier League appearances for United this season, was left out of the starting line-up for the 2-2 draw with West Brom.

Ferguson, who is yet to speak publicly about the current situation with Rooney, brought his striker on with 20 minutes remaining, after United had squandered a two-goal lead, and asked him to play on the left wing.

Former United defender Steve Bruce, now the manager of Sunderland, said he was convinced Ferguson words and actions in recent weeks had been intended to try to protect Rooney.

"He's been trying to keep him out of the spotlight, trying to keep him under the radar, trying to protect him in his way.

"We all know Wayne Rooney is a fantastic footballer and it's the first time in his career he's had this little sort of blip. Make no mistake, he'll be back - he's our best talent in this country and it's about time we tried to protect him and look after him," Bruce told BBC Radio 5 live's Sportsweek.

However, Spanish giants Real Madrid are rumoured to be interested in Rooney, who has not scored for United from open play since March.

Rooney's former United team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo moved to the Bernabeu in the summer of 2009 and the side has numerous striking options in Gonzalo Higuain, Angel di Maria, Mesut Ozil and Karim Benzema.

On Monday, Real's director general Jorge Valdano appeared to quash speculation of an imminent move for Rooney, but he did not rule one out.

He told Telemadrid: "The question is, who would we move aside if we signed another striker?

"In January there will be neither ins nor outs. June is a long way away."

Manchester City, Chelsea and Real's arch-rivals Barcelona are also rumoured to be interested in Rooney, whose value is likely to drop as his contract nears expiration.

I don't see him leaving, if he does leave fergie life at OT will not be worth living anymore.

Fergie has seen more players come and go,Rooney needs to sort himself out quickley before he slips into mediocraty

Fergie has seen more players come and go,Rooney needs to sort himself out quickley before he slips into mediocraty

true he can start on wednesday night in the CL. Guy needs to wake up and do his job on the pitch.

I wouldn't risk buying him on current form, there is no doubt that he is a fantastic player, but his style of playing is so fast paced and physical, that he can't be doing his joints any good. United will soldier on along without him if he is to leave, one thing is for sure... only one person wins an argument with Ferguson.
As for him going to mancity i don't think rooney would have any scruples about that, after all, isn't he the one who said "once a blue, always a blue" shortly before moving to United?

I wouldn't risk buying him on current form, there is no doubt that he is a fantastic player, but his style of playing is so fast paced and physical, that he can't be doing his joints any good. United will soldier on along without him if he is to leave, one thing is for sure... only one person wins an argument with Ferguson.
As for him going to mancity i don't think rooney would have any scruples about that, after all, isn't he the one who said "once a blue, always a blue" shortly before moving to United?

lol yh, but that blue wont be man city ever, only everton :p
as a man utd fan the PL table doesnt look good atm :boo:

rooney would sign for city, would put money on it! he's a mercenary of the worst kind but would city want to upset teves in his current form? I don't think it would be worth the risk personally

rooney would sign for city, would put money on it! he's a mercenary of the worst kind but would city want to upset teves in his current form? I don't think it would be worth the risk personally

money does talk... will be interesting to see what happens now. :whistling:

Back