What are 'traditional' British Fish and Chips ?

The proprietor told me the shop only had half the year to trade and all the day trippers would be skint and on their way home mid afternoon. The name of the game was to fleece them early and make money in the months you could. It's very funny in the resort as the tourists get fleeced twice. They get a portion of Vietnamese river catfish and once near the beach the gulls swoop down and expertly pluck it from the packaging.

The gulls can also slide hot dogs from finger buns with ease. My dad used to say when they slaughtered a pig the only thing wasted was the
squeal. So the tourist has been conned into buying a finger of lips and arseholes only to have a gull pinch it off them...:sick:

There has been no significant landings of fish at Whitby now for over 60 years - but here is the trick. When the UK fleet sail to Iceland from Hull and Grimsby they are away for 10 days or so and often catch fish on day 4 or 5, so the (fresh) fish is 5 - 6 days old when it is landed at Immingham. The skipper phones his agent the previous day to get advice where the top market price is. Chiller vans load the iced catch and take them to the Whitby (say) morning auction which starts very early. Bidders buy the catch and it is now classed as 'fresh Whitby fish'. It is then loaded back onto the same vans and distributed across the UK or abroad. It was never caught from Whitby nor is it fresh.

There is a famous Whitby smokehouse called Fortunes who supply the best kippers in the world (so they say)

According to the Yorkshire post 'All of our herring now comes from the North East Atlantic Quarter, a massive area off the Faroes. It is caught by Norwegian fishermen, the catch is frozen immediately and brought over in freezer containers to our suppliers in Redcar. :LOL:

Bound by kipper ties

My late wife was from whitby and her old man used to go poaching down the beck. I think he was caught more times than fish he caught.

@stuss aye
Spent many a time whitby, moors road on my bike with lads, better than a track day, Magpie cafe afterwards..
Sorry to hear of your wife passing away.

My late wife was from whitby and her old man used to go poaching down the beck. I think he was caught more times than fish he caught.
@stuss aye
The gamekeeper there was called Cooky (long dead) who also sold the best polecat ferrets around which we call greyhound hobs or jills. He liked a pint and the trick was to get him to bring a ferret to the Salmon Leap and keep him talking while we went down with a lamp and snicker :sneaky:

The gamekeeper there was called Cooky (long dead) who also sold the best polecat ferrets around which we call greyhound hobs or jills. He liked a pint and the trick was to get him to bring a ferret to the Salmon Leap and keep him talking while we went down with a lamp and snicker :sneaky:
Little off topic have you ever had pike? where I go fishing you see other cultered people trying to catch pike and take them home

Back