What is a 'traditional' English Breakfast ?

basejumper

TK Veteran
Traditional English Breakfast

Sometimes also called a ‘fry-up’, the full English breakfast consists of fried eggs, sausages, back bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms, fried bread and often a slice of white or black pudding (similar to bloodwurst).

It is accompanied by tea or coffee and hot, buttered toast. These days, breakfast may also include other items such as baked beans and hash browns.

Surely baked beans and hash browns can't be part of our English tradition they are from American menus. Hot buttered toast is not fried so also spurious :unsure:

Traditional English Breakfast

Sometimes also called a ‘fry-up’, the full English breakfast consists of fried eggs, sausages, back bacon, tomatoes, mushrooms, fried bread and often a slice of white or black pudding (similar to bloodwurst).

It is accompanied by tea or coffee and hot, buttered toast. These days, breakfast may also include other items such as baked beans and hash browns.

Surely baked beans and hash browns can't be part of our English tradition they are from American menus. Hot buttered toast is not fried so also spurious :unsure:
The whole menu barring beans, sounds beautiful..

Got me starving now ffs!

Baked beans maybe aren’t the tradition but seem to be the norm these days.

There's a proprietor in our village who's fish shop sign says 'traditional British fish and chips' . He fries in vegetable oil which is not traditional in Yorkshire at all. Beef dripping is. :love:
i remember years ago there was a little old lady who ran a chippy,always used slabs of beef dripping and pans were heated by coal or wood cant remember which :)

Traditional vintage Full English actually used a 'Pork Chop' and 'Bone Marrow' instead of 'Bacon'.

traditional_english_breakfast.jpg

Not that I'm a fan of that. Give me crispy smoked danish bacon with mine.

There are a lot of regional variants though and many have their own preferred preferences and cooking methods. Even how it's plated is important - ask Alan Partridge ..

Last edited:
What's that behind the black puddin?
It looks like naan bread leaning on a fish finger?
My cafe does same thing for £5.95 but that includes tea/coffee and two toast

What's that behind the black puddin?
It looks like naan bread leaning on a fish finger?
My cafe does same thing for £5.95 but that includes tea/coffee and two toast
You referring to my pic lol its hash brown get choice of tea or coffee aswell but don't bother as it's usually smart price coffee

Back