Who to trust - "line-wise"?

Dead_dog

Hi all

First off, this is NOT a post asking for a line, I know they go in the request thread!!

I purchased a used V8S off a well known auction site that came complete with the remainder of the seller's line subscription and, so far, I have been happy with the line - occasionally glitches but no more than 3 or 4 times a day and cures afterthe usual 8 seconds. Whilst I have a few months of subscription left I thought it might not be a bad idea to look into who I should get my replacement line from when the time comes and so I asked the box seller who he got the current line from. He gave me an email address that now appears to not work so I am left with the problem of finding a supplier of lines.

I have read many threads on here about the same thing and the advice seems to be "Don't buy off auction sites, use the thread here to ask one". The problem with that advice is that if I post a request on this forum and my inbox fills with offers I still don't know any of these guys from Adam and I could still end up purchasing a line from someone that disappears after 6 weeks (or even sooner!). Why is buying off of this forum more relaible than buying from anywhere else on the web? How do you determine which of the numerous offers filling your inbox is from a genuine supplier and which are from shysters trying it on?

I hope someone can enlighten me on this point.

Cheers

DD

HI,

There are no guarentee's sorry, what you are doing is basically illegal and so the lines could disapear at anytime, we all take the risk BUT that said some of us have been doing this for many moons and have suppliers who we have been with for sometime. Requesting on Techkings I feel is safer than eBay, I've never seen anyone have a happy purchase from eBay sellers, 24 months for £15 is a joke, I've never seen anyone selling 2 years for that cheap.

Best advice I can give is demand a test line, any supplier worth using will issue a test line first, then look at subscriptions some offer 1 month, 3 month, 6month and 1yr so buy per month or 3 months if it will put your mind at ease.

Read the first post on the request line here

Advisory!

Please don't take advice from Zero posters or members who haven't been on the forum for long.
I would listen to VIP members or TK veterans when being recommended by users here.

Like Forcefire has told you some members have been at it long enough now that they should be able to give you a decent recommendation.

That does not necessarily mean they are supplying the line to you themselves, but from having good service from a supplier
they are willing to pass on the information.

Although nobody knows if that will continue into the future, it still must be better than taking an Ebay Lucky Dip lol

Last edited:
I was ripped off some guy on Facebook sold me a skybox f5s with 1 year line for £130 for it to only last 5 months he didn't give me any info about updating channel list or epg. luckily I found this site learned about channel list and when my line ran out I was like you wary about been ripped off so I went with the one that had most recommendations started of with 6 months for £35 then got a year line for £60 some may say that's expensive but it's still cheaper then 1 moths sky sub. I was happy with my service when I brought my zgemma I brought another line for that box

Hi dsayers2014. Thanks for the info. You mention that you "went with the one that had most recommendations", where are they recommended? Or, have I misinterpreted your meaning? Fortunately I had found this site prior to buying my V8s so I was familiar with channel lists (the concept and how to load them rather than how to create them). The lack of EPG on my box is a real PITA and I think that when my current subscription runs out I might "bite the bullet" and go for a zgemma2s. I'm concerned that there isn't as much support for it as there is for the V8s (which is why I went that way in the first place). By support, I mean tutorials and youtube videos (yes, I really do need a video to walk me through this stuff!!), but maybe I will be able to work it out.

There is loads of support for the zgemma on here, its a good box and plenty of users have one. Its difficult to write a "guide" or do a video as there are so many settings but use a preloaded image like sucmnsee for the hard work

I'll keep looking at the threads. Hopefully I'll find the info I need before my current subscription ends and then maybe go for the upgrade then

Last edited:
Hi dsayers2014. Thanks for the info. You mention that you "went with the one that had most recommendations", where are they recommended? Or, have I misinterpreted your meaning? Fortunately I had found this site prior to buying my V8s so I was familiar with channel lists (the concept and how to load them rather than how to create them). The lack of EPG on my box is a real PITA and I think that when my current subscription runs out I might "bite the bullet" and go for a zgemma2s. I'm concerned that there isn't as much support for it as there is for the V8s (which is why I went that way in the first place). By support, I mean tutorials and youtube videos (yes, I really do need a video to walk me through this stuff!!), but maybe I will be able to work it out.

It would be a bad idea to have video tutorials because there's different images and with each one there's different ways to setup it's easy to choose 1 of the backups from this site and follow the guides. As for recommendations I mean the person that gets recommended the most times bye tk veterans.

Gutted just recently, I bought off an auction site and after 4 months of decent service it just cut off on Friday night! end of, no reply from provider, line showing not active and I've tried reinstalling etc. Guess I have just been done! As I have read, this happens, but still gutted.

I've often thought about the scenario of recommending good servers, in that if I had a good provider with almost glitch free viewing why would I recommend this to many\others therefore increasing the number of users on that particular server with the potential for over subscribing and poor viewing going forward? I know decent providers will limit the amount of users to a server, but others don't.......just a different perspective on things

I've often thought about the scenario of recommending good servers, in that if I had a good provider with almost glitch free viewing why would I recommend this to many\others therefore increasing the number of users on that particular server with the potential for over subscribing and poor viewing going forward? I know decent providers will limit the amount of users to a server, but others don't.......just a different perspective on things

Ha ha I'm same I have friends and family asking me to set some boxes up for them but I don't want to use the same server in case he gets too many people and it gets overload.

If the server owner/client has to worry about how many users he takes on then he is not the server you want to be with;)

Last edited:
I personally bought a line from a recommendation on this site, along with a 2nd backup from our favorite auction site, to be fair they are both pretty good and the support from Fleebay seller has been excellent, so its hit and miss which ever way you go

I understand your point but have no idea on what other sites he/she is selling lines and other users suggesting service. These poeple need a steady supply of customers to keep the service running, they have to pay for the cards etc so need some income to keep going. I've found good servers sell lines but also invest in extra servers for more members just balence how many asigned to each.

The lack of EPG on my box is a real PITA

If you put a memory stick in the back of your box and download the XMLTV EPG in the menu you should get a full 7 day EPG on a V8s.

The other thing to mention that when using Ebay there are lots of re-sellers.

So they buy lots of lines at a discount from a server owner and flog them on with a profit.

They are essentially a middleman taking a cut.

They have no control over the server or it's performance, you are best dealing directly with a server owner.

If you put a memory stick in the back of your box and download the XMLTV EPG in the menu you should get a full 7 day EPG on a V8s.

The other thing to mention that when using Ebay there are lots of re-sellers.

I thought I had read somewhere on the Openbox forum that said that this no longer works? It certainly didn't work for me, maybe I have incorrect firmware installed? Not keen on flashing it as I don't want to turn it into a paperweight so soon after purchasing it!

Last edited:
Done one last night and it worked for me,

there is an issue with the summertime settings which will effect recording, as the EPG and clock won't match, as I understand it.

So it causes a problem using the timer recording function.

But as far as I can tell if you just need to have a look what's on it works.

Just set it up for a mate so didn't really take that much notice of the detail.

I have just done some v8s boxes and the epg works as long as you don't remove the USB stick.
As for the one hour time difference just apply a one hour offset and it is OK, I personally think the v8s is great wee box for the money, and if you know how to use it has dlna and iptv, just my opinion though.

Back