Why did VPN not work?

Rowan88

Hi.

I have a Formuler Z7+ and 3 different subs for IPTV I can test. I got NordVPN and connected to a Netherlands server.

All day I was getting around 29-35mbps of my 38mbps connection. All the IPTV subs ran no problem buffer free.

However when the champions league started on BTSports I started getting a lot of buffering from all the subs.

I tried changing different netherlands servers and even switzerland. When I ran a speed test during this period on vpn servers my speeds where dropping to 1-5mbps.

I thought a VPN was suposed to eliminate throttling for ISP and IPTV?

I also disconnected from VPN and got good speeds. However only 1 out of the 3 subs loaded and again there was heavy buffering.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks

When I say 3 subs sorry I mean 3 different providers. So all three were similar results.

Seems only one of them never got hit with a block but because speeds were dropping so low with VPN active i assumed the VPN was getting throttled also... which would mean it wasnt stopping my isp doing it to me.

I know a lot of providers are dealing with block issues at the moment.My current provider had issues but most are ok now with no vpn but a few people can only get it to
working with a vpn but I know people had issues with different vpns with different providers.

I can get channels loading fine but why is speed being throttled through vpn though? Which I assume caused buffering on mid week champ league and saturday 3pm

Have you disabled any family filters your isp have in place as this can affect it.I know vpn kills your internet speed but have you tried connecting to a different location on your vpn.

Yeah skyshield off.

Last night connected to 3 different netherlands servers and 2 different switzerland ones. Tried TCP and UDP. Still speeds way below whats needed. Also the dutch server was fine before footy.

Thats why I assumed it was VPN servers getting hit.

I have another VPN I will try later but Nord is meant to be very stable.

I tried changing different netherlands servers and even switzerland. When I ran a speed test during this period on vpn servers my speeds where dropping to 1-5mbps.

I would have thought this is a, if not the crux of the issue. In the future, do speed tests through the list of Nordvpn server locations (geographically closer ones first) until you can find a consistent, decent (say 10 mbps) speed, before trying the different iptv servers.

If your internet speed through vpn was fluctuating between 1-5mbps, it wouldn't matter how good your iptv services are. If your internet speed via vpn was decent, then the issue likely lies with your iptv servers.

But say for instance i was connected to netherlands 34. It worked perfect all day until footy starts then fixed again after footy finished.

I still have two weeks left of HMA so will test tonight .

But I was told use netherlands or switzerland as they are closest and do not get hit by blocks.

I have a Formuler Z7+ and 3 different subs for IPTV I can test. I got NordVPN and connected to a Netherlands server.

All day I was getting around 29-35mbps of my 38mbps connection. All the IPTV subs ran no problem buffer free.

As a matter of interest, is your NordVPN implemented on the Z7+ or on a router? I am wondering because I find it surprising that the Z7+ can deliver 29+mbps running vpn. In fact I am unaware of ANY box (router included) under £100 that can deliver that running a proper vpn protocol. See https://www.formuler-support.tv/ind...peed-With-VPN-connected/?postID=6908#post6908

If you were running vpn on a router, it might be worth performing a leak test with a pc.

I had Nord app on box. I usually get 37mbps. When I connected to nordVPN I got 28-29mbps.

The PC was also giving similar spedd results.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two suppliers one I dont need any vpn for football. The second (different tv - wife had commandeered tv 1) I use a vpn for football. I normally use a Netherlands server but last night no joy at all, I changed to various locations around Europe no difference. After about 20 minutes I changed the vpn to Florida USA and it was perfect for the rest of the match. To test it was the vpn that was making the difference I turned it off for a minute and at the same time the football stopped. That was my experience for what its worth and the Florida server must be pretty good as there was no buffering at all. BTW I use PIA.

Just thought I would add I am using a H96 android box with pia vpn app installed and stb emu pro. Without vpn I get about 60mbps, with it on about 35mbps.

Got home and ran some tests.

No vpn - 35mbps
USA - 5mbps
Netherlands - 7mbps
Switzerland - 14mbps

These were all using HMA and SpeedTest.

Does that mean this VPN is bad or am I missing something?

All i am using this for is IPTV.

Im not even 100% sure my ISP is throttling me. Is there anyway to test it?

Use a UK server instead? Assuming your in the UK. And try to find the closest one to you. I don’t use NOrd but a good VPN provider will have servers dotted around the major uk cities.

Alternatively try a different VPN provider

If i use a uk sever surely they will also get hit by the football blocks. Which is why I picked netherlands or swiss

Nope. You are misunderstanding how a VPN works. In the main, you Only use VPN servers in another country if you need to get round geo-restrictions.

For the EPL block, UK servers will be just fine.

Back