Windows Phone Obsolete!!

wheelo

Admin
Staff member
TK Supporter
Microsoft has finally confirmed that it does not intend to release any new smartphones with Windows 10 Mobile or provide software updates for current hardware. To make it as clear as day it means: Windows phones are done with.
Microsoft doesn't entirely abandon current Windows 10 Mobile customers because there will likely be some bug fixes and security patches but nothing new is being implemented. Microsoft has cut the funding as much as it can, and only tries to keep the current customers, mostly business customers, safe from hackers and other security problems.

Even though it was pretty clear a while ago that this is the fate of Windows phones. Now the Windows mobile boss man himself, Joe Belfiore, has revealed that he has changed to using an Android phone.

That if anything should be a sign that it's time to call it a day and move on from Windows phones. Belfiore didn't reveal what phone exactly is he using but it would be funny if it was one of the new Nokias.

According to Belfiore the company tried their everything to lure in more software developers and thus improve the state of their app store. No amount of money or other incentives proved effective, and that is why Microsoft has decided to give in.

In the end the chicken and egg problem of not having users to draw in software developers and not having software to get more users in made it impossible to continue.

Microsoft has been developing their own software for Android and iOS for quite a while since Windows phones weren't working for them. Last week Microsoft announced that it is releasing Microsoft Edge web browser on Android and iOS.

To be honest this news hardly comes as a surprise to me going on Microsoft's past attitude to it's users. Its a bit like the Ryanair attitude vis-a-vis it's customers. Left miles from where you want to go and the two fingered salute. I recall when Windows 7 came out that the amount of peripherals in the form of printers and scanners had to be dumped in skips because their drivers were useless because Microsoft refused new signiture drivers for them work. It also is the case I think that there is no earthly reason why Windows 7 is being dumped due to SSL updates. Put it like this I have been using computers since the Amiga 1200 was about. The whole OS you installed from a floppy disk, a hidden gem of a machine. When I added an expansion 8MB memory on it and a 250 MB hard drive it was good enough to edit video files when Windows didn't know what video editing was.

I could be wrong (not for the first time) but compared to the processing difference these days of both memory and hard disk sizes, I just get the feeling that computers in real terms should be a lot faster than they are. So is it the case that it is Windows itself that is the reason for this difference?

To be honest this news hardly comes as a surprise to me going on Microsoft's past attitude to it's users. Its a bit like the Ryanair attitude vis-a-vis it's customers. Left miles from where you want to go and the two fingered salute. I recall when Windows 7 came out that the amount of peripherals in the form of printers and scanners had to be dumped in skips because their drivers were useless because Microsoft refused new signiture drivers for them work. It also is the case I think that there is no earthly reason why Windows 7 is being dumped due to SSL updates. Put it like this I have been using computers since the Amiga 1200 was about. The whole OS you installed from a floppy disk, a hidden gem of a machine. When I added an expansion 8MB memory on it and a 250 MB hard drive it was good enough to edit video files when Windows didn't know what video editing was.

I could be wrong (not for the first time) but compared to the processing difference these days of both memory and hard disk sizes, I just get the feeling that computers in real terms should be a lot faster than they are. So is it the case that it is Windows itself that is the reason for this difference?
This thread is over 3 years old

Back