Wireless network problems on the laptop!!

j4v3d

VIP Member
Hi

my brother laptop is going bonkers, driving me insane, feel like throwing it out the window, ive tried everything, upgraded to windows 7, he connects to the network successfully but at times he loses connection which he never did, he is only in the next room I have a N1 belkin router, my other brother connects fine to it with his PC. and he is downstairs, so i cant see nothing wrong with the router.

He has a medion laptop, what can it be? it shows 3/4 bars on the laptop. Oh and sometimes it just does not connect at all.

Someone save me from ending up some mental institution lol

thanks

I would try moving the modem if you can to a more central location, sounds like he might be getting some kind of interference.
See if that helps.
Also make sure the Internet Protocol Version 6 is unchecked in the "Local area connection" properties.

Last edited:
it was working fine though before, the router is more or less bang in the middle of the desktop pc and his laptop. Cant get it more central than that. Before his laptop went in for repair it worked fine, no problems, i connect another laptop to the router from downstairs further away from router and it connects straight away.

I really dont know what else it can be, i know that buying a new router will not sort the problem out

Are there any driver issues showing up in device manager? Network adaptors in particular.

Is the connection being lost as another computer is switched on or is the connection loss intermittent i.e. does it go and then come back by itself?

Are there any driver issues showing up in device manager? Network adaptors in particular.

Is the connection being lost as another computer is switched on or is the connection loss intermittent i.e. does it go and then come back by itself?

no issues at all axxxo. Just checked it, the wireless N device is working fine along with the realteck ethernet whatever its called lol

what happens is, 2 pc's are on and he is using the laptop, sometimes it doesnt connect, so i restart the router, restart his laptop then it connects, but recently the connection comes and goes but it shows on the laptop he is still connected to the network. Bringing the laptop to my room where the router is, it works perfectly fine. But 3 bars is enough because my bro downstairs is working fine. Just 1hour ago he was using the laptop and the connection got disconnected, when i tried viewing the networks available it came up as no networks available, but the wireless was on. You have to press FN + F1 to bring the wireless launcher up

Good call Axxxo didn't even think about something as simple as a driver issue.
j4v check and see if there is a updated driver for the internal modem and see if that helps.

Good call Axxxo didn't even think about something as simple as a driver issue.
j4v check and see if there is a updated driver for the internal modem and see if that helps.

how do i check for updated driver? head is all over the place at the moment.

Are the two pc's wired to the router or wireless?

my PC is wired to the router, 2nd PC downstairs is connected wireless same as the laptop.

Well you can try Icanbe's solution for a start.
Updated driver look on the manufacturers website.

Alternatively you could assign a static IP address to each computer to make sure there are no conflicts when another computer is switched on.

Here's a great guide to set static IP

PortForward

Last edited:
right here are the drivers for Windows 7 for the laptop, i searched it using the MSN number on the bottom of the laptop, i downloaded the bottom driver, last one on the list

medion2.png

396.jpg

how do i assign a static ip address to each computer axxxo? do you think that is ideal? because there are alot of wireless networks in and around my house, (outside area)

Try the updated driver first, what date is on the current driver for a start?

If it happens after the updated driver i left a link for you in my last post ;)

Any questions about how to set them up after reaading through it let us know.

For now test out the updated driver over a couple of days!

Dont forget to try Icanbe's advice too!!!

Give this program a run also

http://www.techkings.org/useful-free-applications/13748-inssider-wi-fi-scanner.html

This will show how many networks are occupying the same wireless channel as your router.

You can then adjust your channel to avoid interference with the pesky neighbours :)

Last edited:
Try the updated driver first, what date is on the current driver for a start?

If it happens after the updated driver i left a link for you in my last post ;)

Any questions about how to set them up after reaading through it let us know.

For now test out the updated driver over a couple of days!

Dont forget to try Icanbe's advice too!!!

i will take his advice on updating the drivers (is that the advice you was on about axxxo) lol, ive gone in to device manager and updated the network adapters, searched for updated drivers via the internet currently downloaded 2 of them and updated them automatically, hopefully it should sort it. If not then will assign the static IP Address.

I would try moving the modem if you can to a more central location, sounds like he might be getting some kind of interference.
See if that helps.
Also make sure the Internet Protocol Version 6 is unchecked in the "Local area connection" properties.

how do i get the local area connection properties up??

wireless network status at the moment for IPv6 connectivity is no internet access and for IPv4 connectivity is Internet. I think version 6 is unchecked then?

UPDATE: Found it, ive unchecked the IPV6 :)

i'll give the laptop a couple of days, if it starts playing games then will DEFINITELY use that software you have recommended. Just checked it, looks really good :)

i'll give the laptop a couple of days, if it starts playing games then will DEFINITELY use that software you have recommended. Just checked it, looks really good :)

By default the recommended channels to use are either 1,6,11. But this can vary from one household to another. Personally I have mines on 6.

How did i chose which one was the best channel to use?

Well, first decided i wont use Inssider, instead I put my laptop in the same place [quite far away from the router] and ran around 2 speed tests on each channel, one by one, until I found that I get better performance on channel 6.

Then i used inssider and found that there were two other WiFi hotspots, one using channel one, and the other using channel 11, so i just stuck with 6. ;)

By default the recommended channels to use are either 1,6,11. But this can vary from one household to another. Personally I have mines on 6.

How did i chose which one was the best channel to use?

Well, first decided i wont use Inssider, instead I put my laptop in the same place [quite far away from the router] and ran around 2 speed tests on each channel, one by one, until I found that I get better performance on channel 6.

Then i used inssider and found that there were two other WiFi hotspots, one using channel one, and the other using channel 11, so i just stuck with 6. ;)

valid points you make there Dan another thing to consider as well. So far it is working fine, i dont hear neither of them howling just yet lol, long may that continue, if they decide to howl then i will change the channel and then assign them with a static ip address

just did the static ip address on my own computer, brothers laptop. his connection kept dropping, now he is saying its faster, when i tried it on bro computer downstairs it said confliction ip address, and it wouldnt connect, so changed it back to dynamic. Now his computer connects first time to the router now.

Hopefully this has sorted the problem. My connection also dropped and came back again, i think could also be the fact i have had 3 months free internet from virgin media which they granted, and i think they must be messing around from behind (putting it kindly) lol

lets give this a few days and see what happens now, knowing my luck something will be wrong in the morning

UPDATE: Like i said something will be wrong in the morning, it didn't connect to the router his laptop, in the morning when no one was on it, it connected, but when i was on it, did not connect for him, but when i connected my iPhone to the router, voila first time no problems, went downstairs and tested brother PC voila connected first time :) restarted the router then his laptop connected to the router, i think his wireless on the laptop is faulty.

Last edited:
Back