Worcester boiler 7 year guarantee ends (1 week later)

asmad

TK Veteran
I had a Worcester combi gas boiler installed 25th January 2013 which came with a 7 year extended guarantee.

So long as it was serviced every year, the boiler was covered parts and labour.

Guarantee expired less than 2 weeks and after 7 years of perfect working, guess what? Yes, it's broken.

Looks like a failed pressure relief valve as its losing pressure really quickly and venting out the overflow pipe when the heating is running.

Going to be Monday before its fixed and storm front supposed to bring snow and gales this weekend.

So, I've got to ask how good are companies that they can design devices to break as soon as guarantee expires?

Have you rang them? Some companies will still offer warranty when so close. Just have to be prepared to talk to someone.

Some companies do deliberately create products which have a certain shelf life but also some items simply can only go for so long (maybe a coincidence).

happened to ours the other day. it was an easy fix.

sometimes the prv just gets stuck.

dump all the water out of the boiler via the prv and repressurise the tank then refill, fixed ours.

luckily my plumber owed me one after going out to look at his cctv on christmas eve :laughing:

Ive worked on gas and oil boilers for the last 12 years and they can fail at any time. It might not be the pressure relief valve thats faulty it could be your expansion vessel that has failed. May just need recharged.

As mbath says, phone and ask. As you're asking for goodwill it'll probably benefit you if you ask nicely, rather than casting aspersions about the product being designed to develop faults once the warranty expires.

I have news and its mostly good. (so far anyway)
Worcester Bosch phoned me back and said that they have a 30 day grace period after guarantee expires and they'll fix it for free.

Bad news, looks like Monday before it'll be fixed and storm Ciara is about to batter us here in NI for the rest of the weekend. I've plenty of coal and logs, so we'll not freeze. (theres a slim chance of someone coming tomorrow, but i'll not hold my breath.)

Thanks for all your advice guys. Techkings is definitely the best little forum on the internet.

Ive worked on gas and oil boilers for the last 12 years and they can fail at any time. It might not be the pressure relief valve thats faulty it could be your expansion vessel that has failed. May just need recharged.

Well called Brucey89. Engineer was out this morning first thing. Confirmed its the expansion vessel that's failed. Then apologises that he can't fix it today as it's a 2 hour job. Coming back on Thursday first thing to replace it. Said to just use the boiler and to keep topping up the pressure when it runs low. (So, that'll be once an hour)

Just happy that it's covered under the expired guarantee.

Exactly it happened to me with my DYSON HOVER. Broke Just after two weeks warranty finished. Cheating with innocent people. I have learned now. Taking no warrenty at all

Back