GrogBuild Worth updating from ATV 6.4 to 7?

Currently running a H9SE, on ATV 6.4 with Grogbuild.

So far so good, except for bouqet issues (but thats seperate)

Was looking to reflash and clean up the box, but can only find images of ATV 7. I know grogbuild will not work on it, as of now.

Was wondering if going from 6.4 to 7 has any tangible benefit?

I personally like openATV and use version 7.

If your setup does not need any Py2 plugins for IPTV etc and you are decent with the setup that is automatically done for you on the builds then go for it.

Plenty of skins similar to what the builds.

Benefits are 6.4 will soon no longer be supported by OpenATV

Last edited:
Most of what is included in Grogbuild is available to install manually, ie Kiddac has updated skins that work on py3, grogbuild uses the py2 versions. It's mainly my own scripts and plugins that won't work so if you have a spare half an hour then flash ATV 7, iinstall Kiddacs skins (I think they are part of the ATV feeds now) and install the plugins you need. You will lose some cosmetric things like the bouquet tabs inn the EPG, you will only see the current tab compared to seeing multiple tabs on Grogbuild,,

6.4 was end of life yesterday but they are keeping feeds just no more image updates. How long they keep the feeds running is unknown.

From OpenATV

We will stop updating the 6.4 images on November 18th, 2022.

We regret this step, but 80% of the backers who paid for the servers are gone
, and we need to reduce image building expenses.

Privately you can continue to build the images yourself.

The image download as well as the FEED will remain online after November 18th, 2022,

there will only be no new updates then.
The image on your box will continue to work, we would be happy to see you again
with the 7.0 or 7.1 image.

You will lose some cosmetric things like the bouquet tabs inn the EPG, you will only see the current tab compared to seeing multiple tabs on Grogbuild,,
Is there a way to have such function in Open ATV 7? It was one of the features which i really liked from grogbuid - gave a sense of direction lol.

Thank you all for your response, a flash to ATV 7 it seems to be the case...
Is there a way to install it OTA? or back to good old USB and initilization as per many years?

Is there a way to have such function in Open ATV 7? It was one of the features which i really liked from grogbuid - gave a sense of direction lol.

Is there a way to install it OTA? or back to good old USB and initilization as per many years?
Blue button
flash local/online image.

Make a complete backup image before flashing so you can go back if needed. Tabs won't work on py3 kiddac doesn't support them due to different images using different files

Unfortunately not, which is a shame as many people like it that way

A build is nothing special, anything a build has on it (unless its a bit of customisation) can be done on a box with bare ATV or Vix on it, you just install the plugins and skins you need,

builds like Grogbuild and Wooshbuild where tailored initially for using with Live tv, cable/sat etc more than IPTV so will have things installed that you wouldn't need it just using your box for IPTV.

The point of a 'build' initially was to enable new enigma2 users to get a working setup as quickly as possible with very little setup or knowledge required.
Most experienced users will set their box up from scratch using only the plugins that they will use.

I used to find that the first 10 minutes of setting ATV up was spent removing stuff!

Thanks for all your suggestions. I stupidly restored the backup (i thought it would be settings only), and now its just looping on the GB logo page with ATV 7 image.

Tried to hard reset with base image but to no avail - following all relevant instructions and trying different variations.
using 1 gb or 16gb USB, FAT 32 formatted.
Zgemma H9S SE box.

Tried putty but cannot get past the latestatv (function not defined).

Any suggestions?

Thanks for all your suggestions. I stupidly restored the backup (i thought it would be settings only), and now its just looping on the GB logo page with ATV 7 image.

Tried to hard reset with base image but to no avail - following all relevant instructions and trying different variations.
using 1 gb or 16gb USB, FAT 32 formatted.
Zgemma H9S SE box.

Tried putty but cannot get past the latestatv (function not defined).

Any suggestions?
Not sure im reading this correctly.

Have you managed to flash openATV via USB ?

If you have telnet or any type of connection to the box wont work until you have given the image a password.

Menu-Setup-Network-Password

Sorry, wrote the above while half asleep.

To confirm, I have not managed to flash ATV via USB. I tried ATV 7.0, 6.4 images but to no avail. Tried with standard image as well as recovery image.
I press the reset button at back while powering on button, but it just shows up with ATV logo. When I let go of the reset, it just waits on the logo.
If I turn it off and on again without pressing any reset, it just proceeds to the GB logo and stays at that screen.

Power box off at back.
Now point remote control at box holding down the red power button,at the same time release the white button,wait and it should go into the recovery menu,30 secs to 1 minute.
when in recovery menu choose image to flash.

You can't use Grogbuild with openatv 7, it's not compatible
Yes, I am aware. But Grogbuild came on when i pressed to restore settings accidently. I did not delibrately go about installing GB

Power box off at back.
Now point remote control at box holding down the red power button,at the same time release the white button,wait and it should go into the recovery menu,30 secs to 1 minute.
when in recovery menu choose image to flash.
Thank you so much! I was pressing the reset button all this time!!!

The point of a 'build' initially was to enable new enigma2 users to get a working setup as quickly as possible with very little setup or knowledge required.
Most experienced users will set their box up from scratch using only the plugins that they will use.

I used to find that the first 10 minutes of setting ATV up was spent removing stuff!
I now remove plugins on openatv from myrestore script when doing online upgrade and add the plugins that are not in feed from hdd/ images / ipk folder
Code:
#!/bin/bash

## variables ##
LOGDIR=/home/root
LOGFILE=$LOGDIR/_myrestore.sh.log

# general logging.
exec 3>&1 4>&2
trap 'exec 2>&4 1>&3' 0 1 2 3
exec 1>$LOGFILE 2>&1

# Language files deinstallations
LANG_TO_REMOVE_LIST="$(ls /usr/share/enigma2/po/ | grep -v '\(de\|en\|en_GB\)$' | tr A-ZÄÖÜ a-zäöü | tr '_' -)"

for j in $LANG_TO_REMOVE_LIST; do
    opkg remove --force-depends enigma2-locale-$j
done
opkg --force-depends --force-remove remove enigma2-plugin-extensions-enhancedmoviecenter
opkg --force-depends --force-remove remove enigma2-plugin-extensions-cutlisteditor
opkg --force-depends --force-remove remove enigma2-plugin-extensions-dvdplayer
opkg --force-depends --force-remove remove enigma2-plugin-extensions-pictureplayer
opkg --force-depends --force-remove remove enigma2-plugin-extensions-programmlistenupdater
opkg --force-depends --force-remove remove enigma2-plugin-extensions-mediaplayer
opkg --force-depends --force-remove remove enigma2-plugin-extensions-mediascanner
opkg --force-depends --force-remove remove enigma2-plugin-systemplugins-transcodingsetup
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/fairbird/NewVirtualKeyBoard/main/installer.sh -O - | /bin/sh

exit

Attachments

• Online flashing with restore of the settings and plugins.pdf
    153.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    15 KB · Views: 10
Back