XBMC Should I invest in a Intel NUC or should I go for a MINIX NEO X8-H Android Box?

Hi Guys, only just registered on here recommendation from a friend of mine

Basically I'm looking for a device that can play all my XBMC HD files flawless and smooth.

I'm currently running an Acer Revo 3700 which has the atom cpu, it's ok but it's not perfect, the playback is fine however the XBMC menus do stutter a little every now and again, I use a Logitech Mini Keyboard to control it all but that too is fiddly to use.

Basicall I'm looking for something I can just turn on, boot straight into XBMC has a simple remote to navigate and pulls everything downstairs from my NAS.

I've been looking at an Intel NUC, doing a little reading some say don't bother with the cheaper models and go for a i3 or i5 model if you want a flawless example, however the cost of these are basically holding me off, given that you have to add memory, SSD and wireless card then IR remote brings these up to around £400+, Plus you then have to install Windows 7 or 8.

Another alternative I was looking at was going for a Minix Neo X8-H

I've been told that this is the best android box to go for, amazon reviews seem good.

However I wanted to know if anyone owned one and could give me any hands on on how it performs.

Sorry if this sort of question has been asked before

Thanks

Pete

Hi Pete

I have also pondered the same question. I have bought a NUC 2820. I found the HDMI output to have issues into my TV, I can't remember the exact problems now but I remember thinking it was not suitable to run xbmc. I put Openelec on a raspberry Pi and apart from being a bit slow it ran fine with better picture quality. In hindsight I would go for the Mini Neo X8 H. There is a lot of support for that unit. Better than the M8

I never got into running xbmc on a PC android boxes are the way forward if you just want something to boot straight into.

The M8 and Armada box do the job really well, some skins may cause glitches as some are very demanding on these little boxes but otherwise they a fine.

Back