xpeed lx2 HHD Drive or will a NAS work ?

graycbr600

hi guys ..
Should have my unit within a couple of days .
Now moving to other hardware for the unit & looking to get a HDD or Putting a NAS unit ..
Which hardware are you guys using ..
Plus would a Nas unit work by USB ?
Any input would be helpful

Hey,

A NAS drive works off the network, most NAS drives don't have a USB connection they have a Ethernet connection and you will need the Ethernet connection on your LX2 for your line so its connected directly to your router, the LX2 can't detect NAS drives on a network so you can do it that way.
If your not doing much recording or watching the recording quickly after and then deleting them than a 16GB USB drive will be fine, it will store your EPG, box data etc and will do just fine.
If you plan to record alot, watch the stuff later or even save stuff for a later day or use the timeshift feature then get a external HDD but it will have to have its own power connector or be plugged into a powered USB hub as the LX2 wont supply the HDD with the power it needs. Something like a 250-500gb will store hours upon hours of recordings. If your using a HDD then you wont need the USB too, one or the other is fine.

I have a 320gb slim external HDD (Pocket sized) connected to a powered USB hub and it does the job perfect, the drive cost me about £25 and the powered USB hub cost me £5 all off eBay, delivered next day

Just confused to why you would buy a powered hub ( that plugs into mains ), why not just buy a mains
Powered Hdd?

external hdd are 2 types passport just usb but can screw up ports on the cheaper boxes with the strain.running 2 tb toshiba external hdd with powered [ 13 amp plug ] to power the hdd.

Also, USB 3.0 HDD are available now so you don't get any lag problems.

Using a USB 2.0 pen drive or HDD sometimes caused the audio to go out of synch with the picture, especially if you wanted to FF or RW then play again.

I don't think this happened so much with externally powered HDD's, but the faster drives that are out now shouldn't give any issues.

Just confused to why you would buy a powered hub ( that plugs into mains ), why not just buy a mains
Powered Hdd?

Not all external drives come with mains power, some are designed to be powered via USB port but as stated before the LX2 can't power these drives so a powered USB hub is required. The main thing about these drives is that they are cheaper, you can pick up a USB powered drive for £20 but a mains powered drive can cost £30-40 so its cost saving really

Ok I understand now, I've got a 250gb powered hdd knocking around somewhere in the attic, might give that a whirl, trouble is I'm running out of plug sockets behind my tv, got two 4x power strips full.

So going the USB route might be best, I've seen a 125gb USB stick, might try that instead?

Or maybe you could link me ( if allowed ) Forcefire to what drive and powered hub you bought?

Last edited:
Question on this , I have a usb hdd with just the one usb lead coming from it .
how do I power this and yet still connect it to the box ?
do I need a special lead ?
cheers

You need a USB powered hub, the hub comes with a lead that plugs into your device ( sat box ) then your hdd plugs into the hub.

Question on this , I have a usb hdd with just the one usb lead coming from it .
how do I power this and yet still connect it to the box ?

Just plug the USB end into the back of the box and the other end into the HDD

Then initialise and mount the HDD in the boxes menu then the box to be able to see it.

Bees I thought the LX2 would not power a hdd ? That's why I thought I needed to power the hdd from elsewhere ?
cheers

I use a Toshiba 500Gb USB 3.0 Hdd, never had an externally powered one.

See post #7

Some pen drives can just be plugged in and recognised straight away.

Hdd's are bigger so need to be initialised and mounted, the box will then recognise
the Hdd is attached and it can then be used for EPG storage and recording.

If you don't initialise it the box doesn't see it, so maybe that's where the confusion is.

Last edited:
I'm confused to now.

So if you've got a 3.0 hdd the Xpeed can power it?

I bought a powered USB hub for my Lacie 250gb drive I had knocking about, but the hub wouldn't power it even tho it's usb powered.
So I've now ordered a power supply for it that plugs in, ( didn't come with the drive, optional ) I hope this works?

Last edited:
Yes, it will power it, I have got it attached to my other box at the mo but the Xpeed
would be the first box I have had that didn't power a USB Hdd.

I will check when I get home but I can't see there being a problem.

"initialise and mount" then the box will recognise it.

Maybe I should clarify, slower Hdd's (USB 2.0) sometimes had synch problems with audio and the picture
if you rewind and fast forward, then play again you could get synch problems.

I don't think the powered versions of the USB 2.0 type had as many problems as the unpowered USB 2.0 versions so some people preferred to go down the powered route.

USB 3.0 Hdd are a lot faster, so the synch problem is no longer an issue, so they don't need to be powered.

Last edited:
Bit confused myself now too.

I plan to order an xpeed. I have. 3.5" external hdd I planned to use but it's only USB 2.0. And no idea what the drive speed is.

So are they not fast enough? Do I now need to also order a USB 3.0 enclosure? Or face issues with audio and video sync?

My power plug should be here tomorrow for my 2.0 USB hdd
So mean while would my xpeed power this with out the seperate power supply?
I would try it but I don't want to do any damage to the device.

Bees have you got a portable Usb 3.0 drive ?
This may be the reason why he don't need a power supply !
If so these are diff to a normal 3.5" HD in a USB enclosure !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Bee's, I'm confused with your post too buddy. I have plugged in my 250GB external SATA USB 2.0 HDD and the LX2 couldn't power it, I had to use a powered USB hub to get it to work so I could mount it and use it. Seems odd that your saying you don't need a "other" power source but I did.

Is it just certain types of USB drives?

Then again I'm getting a USB 3.0 powered Blu-ray drive and I'm hoping I can get it to play via my LX2 so will need the hub lol

Last edited:
Back