Xpeed LX2 USB Slots and assorted goodies

adrianfo

Hi
I'm looking for a bit of guidance on a few things please,
Is there any reason why I couldn't use an 8gig stubby usb in the front slot for the EPG, and just use the rear usb 500gig drive for recording. Would this be better or no difference.
Does channel 5 HD belong to sky and is that the reason it's not available via 28.2.
When in a motorhome for example, could I use my phone's 3g as a hotspot and connect the box wirelessly to the net to verify the line. After connecting to a dish of course.
Regarding performance of Dreamplex. Does anyone use Dreamplex on their box and have previous experience with Roku. Cos although they're on the same network, and powerplug Roku is a hell of a lot quicker.

Thanks in advance
Adrian

1st things 1st, 3g would not be quick enough to run the box,a 500 GB hard drive will do your epg as well as recordings,channel 5 is its own station which you will get on 28.2E,sorry cant help with other 2 things as dont use either

Yes you can use 3G as I do ,
Actually a very poor signal to my dongle but it still works to clear the line .
Hth

Thanks for the reply.
Would 4g be quick enough?
Channel 5 HD and SD appear in my bouquet. Only 5 SD will unscramble. I thought maybe it's the same as Sly Atlantic and the rest of Sly's HD channels - Only SD.
Cheers
Adrian

Its not wise to connect via mobile, internet connection is just not stable enough plus if your switching IP addresses your line provider may delete your line as it could be seen as you sharing it with friends and family so lots of boxes connecting to the same line.

As for using the front USB, if your runing a 500gb HDD at the back use that for everything, epg and recording etc, you have more than enough room on that drive. As for Channel 5 HD that will be a setting, If you used my backup then HD is disbaled for channels, you cant get regional news with HD and its either on or off so I set BBC1 to Channel 5 as SD for that reason, you can change it just by going into ABM and chaning the option "Swap Channels" from Yes to No for the FTA signal

HI, as advised you can use 3g/4g but best to have a radio app streaming on mute on a phone or tablet to keep the connection "alive" as mobile broadband is not "always on" per say like home broadband.
Yes, you can do that with your USB slots if you want but you can also use the larger drive on the back and use it for everything, make sure the paths are correct in mount manager, etc if using 2 usb drives.
Yes channel 5HD is encrypted like the other Sly HD channels.
Dreamplex is slower on the LX2 but much quicker on the faster boxes with dual core cpu's, the ROKU is purpose built from that type of app, what's the roku like at sat channels?
HTH

Cheers for the reply
I havn't tried the Roku with Sat. To be honest I didn't know it could be done. Come to think of it, how could it be done. The only inputs are Eternet, HDMI and micro SD. Am I missing something here :whacko:
The reason I'd like to use a separate USB for the EPG is so that it stays where it is. I might want to move the 500g portable drive for whatever reason but the EPG would stay put. Good tip about streaming the radio.
I've only been messing with this for a couple of days so so I apologise in advance for the question. What's the story with Sly HD - will it ever be cracked, so to speak.
I've been paying £70 - £75 a month for the past 10 years, is the only way to get HD to keep on paying. It breaks my heart:madsware:
Cheers
Adrian

---------- Post Merged at 02:40 PM ----------

your line provider may delete your line as it could be seen as you sharing it with friends and family

Ah, understood. If I contacted them 1st and explained.................... It will be the same box, just in our Motorhome when on holiday. Any Idea what's up with FullUk?

Adrian

Hi, thats what I mean about the roku, you can't so no good comparing it to a sat box, if power and speed was needed you should have bought a solo2 lol.

I also use a separate USB for EPG and picons, not the internal one, also make sure the paths are ok in mount manager when 2 drives are installed, same with EPG, make sure it saves to USB and not HDD.

As for sly HD, do some googling and it don't look good, just enjoy what you have in the meantime while it lasts.

You can get HD on cable or motorized dish.

Back