ET8500 QUAD TUNER Xtrend ET8500 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackwidow

TK Veteran
Well today I got my new box, the Extrend ET8500 which cost me £169 + P&P to replace my Xpeed LX2. I selected the twin tuner option as I don't need a cable tuner, this is the link: [LINK REMOVED] It was delivered next day by interlink so I got a 1 hour time slot which was handy, no waiting around all day.

OK, so the box arrived well packaged with plenty of protection to make sure the box wasn't damaged during transit. I have included to photos so you can see what you get and what it looks like in real life not the glamour shoots you get on website, lol.

The box included:
1x ET8500 box
1x HDMI Cable
1x Remote
1x Batteries for the remote
1x Power Cable
1x Plug converter so it will work with the UK 3 pin plug socket
1x English User Manual, very comprehensive and full details on the box
1x Ariel extender (pointless really)

The box was very easy to setup as I ask for Openvix to be pre-flashed so once I plugged the box in and turned it on I just did the setup like any other box and with the hour I was up and running and everything was done. I also fitted my 2.5" 320GB Hard Drive into the side of the box, the box setup and started using the drive right away. I also added a 8GB USB stick for EPG usage as it came from my old box.

Overall impression of the box is great, its compact and runs blistering fast, switching channels is quick and every menu option just loads super quick, no delay in anything and the EPG is super smooth. The channels display perfect, no glitching with my line and zapping is quick and easy, also the little screen on the box clearly displays the channel name, channel number, program name, time played or remaining (you set that option), program viewing time, which tuner and the local time or it can display the channel picture. When the box is turned off it displays a nice lock face so you can see what time it is.
Running my IPTV service is smooth, better than the MAG254 I borrowed of my mate for the last week so it really does act as a Sat/Cable/IPTV box too so bonus for those who want to run all from 1 unit. Also the fact you can add or swap tuners around and they aren't expensive too just add's to the coolness of this box.
The Remote on this box is great, all the buttons are raised and clearly marked, the box responds really fast to every button press and works within a really wide angle from around my living room so very happy with it and much better than most remotes I seen and used. Also within the booklet provided is all the codes needed to use the remote with your TV so no need to search on the internet for them.

20160708_112040.jpg20160708_122821.jpg20160708_122827.jpg20160708_122845.jpg20160708_122854.jpg20160708_122940.jpg20160708_124547.jpg

Overall I would give this box 9/10 as I would like to do more with the little built in screen than currently offered but thats down to the skin so I might look into designing my own when I get a chance.

Hi Blackwidow,

What dimension hdd does the caddy take. I know its 2.5 hdd but what thickness ?

Nice review. Very interested in one of these.

The hard drive I used was this one: [AGAIN LINK REMOVED] which I purchased awhile ago but never got round to using, lol

Its lists the size as 10 x 7 x 0.7 cm, glad you like the review and hope it helps if you decide to get one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on what you want mate, You can add tuners later as they do sell them on their own so pick a cheaper option for now and then add/swap tuners as you need to later on. Accessing the inside of the box is really easy its 2 screws at the back and the lid lifts off to reveal the slots like you get a in a PC.

From what I understand the price of the boxes is going up on the 10th July due to the exchange rate changing so now might be the time to order :)

Cheers Blackwidow,

What combination would I order for ....
2 sat tuners and 2 cable tuners ?

Thanks
The one you need is this model [Removed by Admin]
Just look through my postings for info on what i have set up on it using bouquets for iptv

Last edited by a moderator:
Evening guys,i have just finished setting up an extend ET 8500,the box i have set up is a quad triple tuner with 3 DVB-S2 tuners so you can record on 2 channels and watch a third,i have got the forth tuner set up for cable which im still sorting out,i have got it setup with chabs new skin and it looks the bees knees,the huge thing which makes the box for me is how it copes with iptv,what i have done is setup in my bouquets list with all the iptv HD channels under each section like for like,example below,im just waiting to sort out something with my iptv supplier to add vod and we should be just about sorted,I can 100% say that running iptv on the extend box is as good as watching HD cable,next on the list is the zgemma i55 which i am half way through,i did do a little posting on it last week saying it would not take vix firmware and i have had a couple of emails to confirm

How would I go about ordering box with tuner setup like yours ?
Will IPTV offer S*y in HD if speed is good enough ?

Thanks

I did not know that.......the provider and HD for IPTV. I take it that you just ask ?
Does the Xtrend allow recording of HD IPTV to HDD ?

sorry about all the questions but I don't want to make wrong choice !! Always has 2 x sat before. Cable and IPTV are all new.

Any advice welcome.

Ok nice one, thanks blackwidow, it sounds most tempting :)

Can the lcd display be turned off if not required, and does it support streaming to tablets etc.

thanks

I'd really like to buy one of these. Is there sufficient support for XTrend as compared to say, Vu or Dreambox ?

I was thinking of any common faults like the capacitor which goes in both vu and venton causing machine to go dead. Its well documented as there are so many of these boxes.

just follow bees tut and suggest a nline usage for this great box and should be up and running in 1/2 hour,you can have your newcamd.list and mg_cfg ready for sending over with filezilla client downloaded to pc.

Bees guide is great but it doesn't cover iptv and setting up all the bouquets in the right order and I have also set up up plex, I will be doing a full support guide on the box in the next week or two, it will be on my complete box posting on how to set it up for all four, cable/satellite/iptv/plex with all channels in all the best places

BEAT POST BREXIT PRICE INCREASE! Xtrend ET8500 from only £169!

Last edited:
When the box is on it displays the channel you are on, the program name, time remaining, local time, which tuner is been used and if any recording is taking place or it will display the actual channel picture too if you want and when its in standby mine box displays a clock

I have just got my new xtrend et 8500 looks great now wot need big help just put open vix on it the latest one but no iptv plugin their don't seem to be much on here for them but I know they haven't been round long but read the reivue and sounds like it is going to be worth it in the end
thanks any way

There are some IPTV plugins still on the feed's so have a look under extensions and you should see them Dreamplex is wicked and runs great

Blackwidow a mate of mine has bought samebox as yourself with vix image preinstalled but he has no free iptv plugin in his exstensions as I have with older vix version , which I use for vumoo and yiffy for movies , is it gone from New image or is it called something else ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back