Satellite ZGemma H7S 4K-HEVC hdd write error

yeehah1

30 10 2021
Hi all.
I'm a total newbie here and with all things satellite. I left Sky last week and had this ZGemma installed. I understand that it's supposed to have a hard drive installed so that we can record tv programmes. It's the reason we bought this system.
However....everytime I have tried to record something I get an error message...usually a write error. I have seen elsewhere on this forum others talking about having similar issues and being advised to re-mount the disc and where to find the controls to do so. There was also the suggestion to initialise the disc and then re-mount it but I do not know how to initialise the disc.
Taking a very deep breath I searched for the controls to mount the disc and from what I can tell with my very limited knowledge is that there is nothing there to mount.

So I think the disc is there but the system cannot 'see' it so that when I try to record something the system does not know where to put the recording.
Can anyone help me with this please?

Thanks in advance

Liam

Menu- setup- storage- iniatilize device as it should give a name and when done show up as EXT4

If any recordings are there they will be erased.

Box has to setup a new hdd to work by setting it up on box first to be seen

Menu- setup- storage- iniatilize device as it should give a name and when done show up as EXT4

If any recordings are there they will be erased.

Box has to setup a new hdd to work by setting it up on box first to be seen
Hi Cactikid
I went Menu-Setup but there is no Storage option. The only indication that I can find that there might be an internal hdd is in the Movie List Setup. There's an option for disk space to reserve for recording (in GB) and it's set for 40 gb
:unsure:

Last edited:
Does it list Storage and do nothing if clicked on?

Attachments

• settings.jpg
    settings.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 4
  • storage.jpg
    storage.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
If no storage is listed are you 100% sure a hdd was installed?
There's no option for storage. I was pretty sure there was a hdd installed as I requested it specifically. Paid a little more for it too. I'll go see the retailer tomorrow and have a few words.
Thanks for your help

It should show storage like above as i lost mine once or twice and by rebooting it or deep standby and power off at rear it came back to be seen.

What size did you ask for

It should show storage like above as i lost mine once or twice and by rebooting it or deep standby and power off at rear it came back to be seen.

What size did you ask for
I didn't specify. I told them I wanted to be able to record tv programmes and rewatch them.

There's no option for storage. I was pretty sure there was a hdd installed as I requested it specifically. Paid a little more for it too. I'll go see the retailer tomorrow and have a few words.
Thanks for your help
Menu
Setup
System
Network
Mount setup
Go here and mount your HDD or USB for recording
If nothing listed you need to initialise it first.
Menu
Setup
System
Storage device
Choose device and intialise it first then mount it

okay....I have an external drive that I bought a few years ago for some art projects I had to do to off-load the work from my laptop and save space on that laptop.
I just connected it to the usb port in the back of the ZGemma and hey presto! Storage and the option to Initialise.

Which I can't do on this as it'll wipe the drive of the stuff I need to keep.
So....no internal HDD then. I guess I'm going to town tomorrow (y)

Menu
Setup
System
Network
Mount setup
Go here and mount your HDD or USB for recording
If nothing listed you need to initialise it first.
Menu
Setup
System
Storage device
Choose device and intialise it first then mount it
Hi pabloescaban
thanks for your advise. I had tried that but when I select Mount setup there is no device listed to actually mount or iniitilise.
When I do Menu-Setup-System there is no Storage option listed.
When I plugged in an external HDD I get the Storage option. The external HDD is the only one listed then when I go Menu-Setup-System-Storage

I'll go have words with the retailer tomorrow and see if he will replace the unit. It's still under warranty afterall :smiley:

I have to say...thanks for your help gentlemen. Much appreciated.

Liam

When someone says record i have a 2tb externally powered one on mine as i like recording ALOT.
Most people record Corrie, Emmerdale farm and EastEnders then watch them and delete.
If you intend recording every film for prosperity then no HDD is big enough.
64 GB will hold over 60 hours of recordings

I fall asleep alot and have recordings 2015 and missing a recording or so and waiting for the repeats for catchup.

I do like action movies and good ones never getting deleted only moved to a 4tb storage.

I found once you get the ability to record size matters as doing more.

I fall asleep alot and have recordings 2015 and missing a recording or so and waiting for the repeats for catchup.

I do like action movies and good ones never getting deleted only moved to a 4tb storage.

I found once you get the ability to record size matters as doing more.
As far as movies etc are concerned I find VOD, E2iplayer and all the other online libraries have practically every film that's ever been made so can't see the point in stashing them when you can watch anytime you like

Hi pabloescaban
thanks for your advise. I had tried that but when I select Mount setup there is no device listed to actually mount or iniitilise.
When I do Menu-Setup-System there is no Storage option listed.
When I plugged in an external HDD I get the Storage option. The external HDD is the only one listed then when I go Menu-Setup-System-Storage

I'll go have words with the retailer tomorrow and see if he will replace the unit. It's still under warranty afterall :smiley:

I have to say...thanks for your help gentlemen. Much appreciated.

Liam
Hi yeehah1, which image or images are installed on your ZGemma. I have found one or two images are notorious for losing the mounts and making life difficult.

Hi yeehah1, which image or images are installed on your ZGemma. I have found one or two images are notorious for losing the mounts and making life difficult.
Jimdefruit:
here's where I embarass myself ( and not for the first time) : what do you mean by 'image'?

30 10 2021
In other news....went to see the retailer who is pretty sure he set up and installed a hdd into the zGemma and reckons the guy who installed the sat. dish and Saorview aerial picked up 'the wrong box' because apparently there is a similar model that does not have a hdd installed that's used for the likes of hotels and b&b's.
Sounds plausible.

I'm to take the box back on Monday and he'll check it out.
Meanwhile I inserted a usb drive 64gb and initialised it and mounted it and it records beautifully.

Just for my information and education....what is actually happening when you 'mount' the hdd? (Keep it clean :smiley:)

Liam

Opening screen might say BLACKHOLE :LOL: , OPENVIX , OPENATV etc is what an image is supported by a maker.

Mounting the usb / hdd means its setup correctly for using the box functions

Back