Zgemma i55 this is how to flash new image

It is a good version but openATV 6.1 is your best option mate
WooshBuild 7 is OpenATV 6.1

A good guide for installing a bare OpenATV on the box. The only thing I don't agree with is always turning the box off before inserting a USB device. USB by design allows hot plugging / swapping. The box detects a newly inserted device and mounts it accordingly.

Reactions: mmm

A good guide for installing a bare OpenATV on the box. The only thing I don't agree with is always turning the box off before inserting a USB device. USB by design allows hot plugging / swapping. The box detects a newly inserted device and mounts it accordingly.
thanks woosh you the top man

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, Yeah @wooshman mate, I knew that most if not all zgemma images including WooshBuild are built around openATV images, I did mention that in my guide at the start of this whole thread, not to worry though, you probably never noticed as it does go on quite a bit, lol.

Thanks mate for mentioning my guide was good for doing a flash of the openATV image, appreciated mate ;), it was just a quick guide I threw together at the time to try and help the many thousands of people that ask the same age old question "how the hell do I flash a new image onto my box from scratch ?".
(I was one of those same people one day same as you were too at some point when you owned your first box etc at the start, but that's life as they say :), all good :) We all live and learn).

I always think it's good to try and help someone if I possibly can, that's why I wrote that guide, I have noticed a lot over the past many many years that hardly any people help others much at all on most forums which is sad to see :(, this forum we are on just now "Techkings" though is great, a lot of people like to help others, so it makes this forum stand out from most of the others in my opinion :)

Pleased to meet you @wooshman , I am guessing that your the chap behind the WooshBuild's, yes ? If so, well done and great job, looks neat mate :)

P.S, about the plugging and unplugging the USB flashdrives and turning the box off/on before doing so etc, this was advice given to me when I got the zgemma, seemingly the zgemma's can sometimes struggle with various different brands of USB sticks not being recognised and/or seen (same thing) with the box or possibly firmware.

I found this to be a problem with both my Zgemma boxes too and that was me using probably the most recommended/reliable usb sticks for the zgemma like the Kingston and Sandisk brands, prepared them the proper way using a tool such as anything like "bootice" (as I mentioned in the guide), but nope, both of boxes still wouldn't flash on one of the USB ports, so it was then I tried using the bit of advice I was given when plugging and unplugging the USB sticks to turn the box off first (switch on the back) before removing or plugging in usb sticks then turn back on and after doing so it did work in that port, so some zgemma's must have slightly dodgy ports, that's all I can think of, I can't see it being a driver problem with openATV as that would have been sorted a long time ago I would imagine.

My Satellite box (VU+Duo genuine model) has never had a problem like that with any images be it openVIX or whatever, but there again, I bought that box when it very first came out and it cost me something like £450-£500, superior quality boxes are the VU's but with the price tags to match as you probably know, that was many many years ago though and I would never spend crazy money like that again on any box, lol, no chance, don't get me wrong, the box paid for its self in a matter of a few months, lol, (if you get what I mean ;)) so I wasn't complaining at all at the time and for years afterwards either whilst we still had everything running great on Satellite.

But yeah wooshman, I know what you mean with the USB thing, it should work like you say, but for some reason unknown, it doesn't always work that way, probably just the cheap wee boxes build quality, cheap as chips, so we really can't expect advanced perfection I guess, but I am happy enough with them anyway for the money, they are sound for their purpose (the i55 model I mean).

Now I Just hope and pray that sky doesn't throw a spanner into the works if they stick to their promise that they will go Dish Free sometime soon, I can't see this happen for many years yet but it's like everything else, we just don't know if/when or what will happen and how this may or may not impact everyone using IPTV etc, let's just hope this is mega years away, hope so :grimacing: https://www.which.co.uk/news/2018/01/sky-tv-announces-satellite-dish-will-no-longer-be-required/ :grimacing:, I can't see how they can possibly go totally dish free when massive parts of the UK can't even get any more than sometimes about 2 to 5Mbps broadband speed, crazy :rolleyes:

Now I Just hope and pray that sky doesn't throw a spanner into the works if they stick to their promise that they will go Dish Free
This won't make any difference as FreeSat will still use a dish as it does now, it just means a few more sly channels gone which will be replaced with IPTV as they are already. Sly will will no doubt run the service for new customers who can be dish free and the dish will stay for those who can't.

This won't make any difference as FreeSat will still use a dish as it does now, it just means a few more sly channels gone which will be replaced with IPTV as they are already. Sly will will no doubt run the service for new customers who can be dish free and the dish will stay for those who can't.

Yeah, was thinking similar mate, plus when we think about it too, look at all the people with sky or freesat via a communal dish and no interest in paying for broadband/internet, can't force people to buy an internet connection if they don't want it, so in that scenario internet providers would have to give customers a free high speed internet connection for life in order for the people to be able to purchase tv packages via the internet "if the people wanted it that is", so there's no chance of that happening, defo no chance, lol, me thinks sky are talking pants, either that or they are maybe about 5+ years to soon even mentioning something like this.

Last edited:
I keep seeing and hearing friends asking for a simple guide to flashing the zgemma i55 box, so I quickly typed this out and hope it helps some people ;)

Choose and download the latest/newest dated OpenATV 6.1 build from the list here >>

>>> http://images.mynonpublic.com/openatv/current/index.php?open=zgemmai55

Once you have downloaded the latest image onto your PC (from the list always pick the latest/most recent dated one of the images available).

Unzip/Unrar it from the file that will be saved to your computer. (if you don't have a program to unzip/unrar the file then download and install winrar onto your computer and then your ready, pick the free edition). you can get it here >> https://www.rarlab.com/download.htm (pick the correct version for your computer).

Then get your USB memory stick, some people say large capacity USB drives dont work but I tried a 32GB one and it did work, but some people recommend using maybe a 4 or 8 or 16GB USB stick drive, so whatever you have just try it and if no joy then best to get recommended usb sticks for the box (here is a thread I started about the best usb sticks for the i55 box >> http://www.techkings.org/threads/zgemma-i55-which-usb-stick-most-reliable.135690/ ), I found that Kingston and/or Sandisk work best but thats just my opinion.

Plug your USB stick into your computer and format the USB memory stick to FAT32. (there are small guides all over the internet that tell you how to do that, takes about 10 seconds to do honestly).

Now look back at the downloaded image file or folder you should have downloaded from that first website I told you to get the image from, it will either still be a file or it will be a folder if you have already unzipped it, if you haven't unzipped it then go ahead and unzip it, you will then see a folder called zgemma

Then just drag or copy then paste the folder called zgemma onto/into the USB memory stick and you will see it take a few seconds to transfer onto your USB Memory stick, when that's finished you have your image on your USB Stick ready to flash onto your zgemma i55 box.

Make sure your zgemma i55 has all it's wires and cables plugged in properly.

Firstly turn your zgemma i55 OFF using the power switch at the back of the box, ALWAYS REMEMBER TO DO THAT BEFORE REMOVING OR INSERTING USB STICKS IN or OUT of YOUR BOX !!!

Now at the back of the zgemma i55 you have two USB input ports, plug in your USB memory stick into any one of them (although I found the bottom one worked first time for me and the top one didn't, It just depends, both of yours could be perfect).

So now you should have your USB memory stick with the zgemma folder on it plugged into a USB port at the back of the i55 box (there are no USB ports at the front anyway, so when we talk about USB ports on the zgemma i55, we mean at the back obviously)

Now switch the power on at the button on the back of the box, you should then see a green and red light switching from green to red quite a few times, it's on the box at the front on the left hand side, there is no other visual display on the zgemma i55 box, just the light that should be flashing at different speed rates with the red and green colour staying green or red for different amounts of time I found, but again, yours may be different.

I can't remember off the top of my head how long this takes, if all goes well I think it's a few minutes at most, if it's going on forever like 20 minutes etc just turn the box off at the back power button again and then try the same process but with the USB stick in the other USB port.

Again, off the top of my head I cant remember if the flash process just stops with a solid light or if it displays the openATV image on your TV screen when it's done, but it will do one or the other of these things, I think it displays the openATV image on your TV Screen when finished but I bloomin can't remember, just typical, eh, lol.

((If it still doesn't work, try preparing your USB Stick the best way using a great free formatting tool that makes sure it's done perfect, its called BOOTICE, get it here >>>>> http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/bootice_64_bit.html , download and install that onto your computer and follow the instructions that come with it usually and then try the whole process from the start again, if it still fails then it looks like you may have a USB stick that your zgemma box does not like and you will have to get a different brand and/or capacity size.))

Anyway, if all is done ok once done, remember, power off at button at the back of box, remove usb stick out of box and then power the box back on with the button again and hey presto, as if by magic that's your zgemma i55 flashed with the newest/latest edition of openATV, some guys use wooshbuild and other images etc, but these are all just built around openATV anyway, so it's your own choice, for me I always prefer to go directly for the main latest official openATV 6.1 version and that's it.

openATV version 6.2 is being tested out just now but it will be a while I'm sure before we need to even think about that, especially when most people with the zgemma i55 are still sitting quite happy with the rather old version 6.0 which is perfectly fine anyway.

So, I hope this rather rushed post I have just stuck up for you is of some help to anyone that is starting from scratch, let us know how it goes, if you get stuck and I am not around I am sure someone else will be here to help, this is a brilliant forum and usually people are here 24/7 to lend a hand. ;)
I've flashed my i55 to avt 6.1 , but my iptv has gone and not much left , can my provider put my iptv back on and how easy is it ?

I've flashed my i55 to avt 6.1 , but my iptv has gone and not much left , can my provider put my iptv back on and how easy is it ?

(See my post number 6 on the 1st page of this thread your in now mate)

if you got a box with it all preinstalled, you should ask your provider for the "Script" line and if he's ok he will give you the script line via email or whatever, after that use something like the little program called putty to input the script line and hey presto your iptv will come back again.

Or, if he is a nice enough guy ask him for a little help if its not a problem, if he isn't interested in helping at all then at least you know not to renew with him again if and when the time comes, these guys should have the decency to try and help at least a little bit, if they are just in it for the pure greed of the money and not interested in helping someone now and again then they are not very nice and should be avoided full stop, some are ok, some aren't, so you wont know until you ask for you script if thats the way it's set up.

Let us know how it goes @gazzamanc , good luck mate :)

p.s, it's "VERY" simple if it's a box with a line of script you simply add to the flash image like I said, just saying as you asked how easy it was.

Last edited:
I keep seeing and hearing friends asking for a simple guide to flashing the zgemma i55 box, so I quickly typed this out and hope it helps some people ;)

Choose and download the latest/newest dated OpenATV 6.1 build from the list here >>

>>> http://images.mynonpublic.com/openatv/current/index.php?open=zgemmai55

Once you have downloaded the latest image onto your PC (from the list always pick the latest/most recent dated one of the images available).

Unzip/Unrar it from the file that will be saved to your computer. (if you don't have a program to unzip/unrar the file then download and install winrar onto your computer and then your ready, pick the free edition). you can get it here >> https://www.rarlab.com/download.htm (pick the correct version for your computer).

Then get your USB memory stick, some people say large capacity USB drives dont work but I tried a 32GB one and it did work, but some people recommend using maybe a 4 or 8 or 16GB USB stick drive, so whatever you have just try it and if no joy then best to get recommended usb sticks for the box (here is a thread I started about the best usb sticks for the i55 box >> http://www.techkings.org/threads/zgemma-i55-which-usb-stick-most-reliable.135690/ ), I found that Kingston and/or Sandisk work best but thats just my opinion.

Plug your USB stick into your computer and format the USB memory stick to FAT32. (there are small guides all over the internet that tell you how to do that, takes about 10 seconds to do honestly).

Now look back at the downloaded image file or folder you should have downloaded from that first website I told you to get the image from, it will either still be a file or it will be a folder if you have already unzipped it, if you haven't unzipped it then go ahead and unzip it, you will then see a folder called zgemma

Then just drag or copy then paste the folder called zgemma onto/into the USB memory stick and you will see it take a few seconds to transfer onto your USB Memory stick, when that's finished you have your image on your USB Stick ready to flash onto your zgemma i55 box.

Make sure your zgemma i55 has all it's wires and cables plugged in properly.

Firstly turn your zgemma i55 OFF using the power switch at the back of the box, ALWAYS REMEMBER TO DO THAT BEFORE REMOVING OR INSERTING USB STICKS IN or OUT of YOUR BOX !!!

Now at the back of the zgemma i55 you have two USB input ports, plug in your USB memory stick into any one of them (although I found the bottom one worked first time for me and the top one didn't, It just depends, both of yours could be perfect).

So now you should have your USB memory stick with the zgemma folder on it plugged into a USB port at the back of the i55 box (there are no USB ports at the front anyway, so when we talk about USB ports on the zgemma i55, we mean at the back obviously)

Now switch the power on at the button on the back of the box, you should then see a green and red light switching from green to red quite a few times, it's on the box at the front on the left hand side, there is no other visual display on the zgemma i55 box, just the light that should be flashing at different speed rates with the red and green colour staying green or red for different amounts of time I found, but again, yours may be different.

I can't remember off the top of my head how long this takes, if all goes well I think it's a few minutes at most, if it's going on forever like 20 minutes etc just turn the box off at the back power button again and then try the same process but with the USB stick in the other USB port.

Again, off the top of my head I cant remember if the flash process just stops with a solid light or if it displays the openATV image on your TV screen when it's done, but it will do one or the other of these things, I think it displays the openATV image on your TV Screen when finished but I bloomin can't remember, just typical, eh, lol.

((If it still doesn't work, try preparing your USB Stick the best way using a great free formatting tool that makes sure it's done perfect, its called BOOTICE, get it here >>>>> http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/bootice_64_bit.html , download and install that onto your computer and follow the instructions that come with it usually and then try the whole process from the start again, if it still fails then it looks like you may have a USB stick that your zgemma box does not like and you will have to get a different brand and/or capacity size.))

Anyway, if all is done ok once done, remember, power off at button at the back of box, remove usb stick out of box and then power the box back on with the button again and hey presto, as if by magic that's your zgemma i55 flashed with the newest/latest edition of openATV, some guys use wooshbuild and other images etc, but these are all just built around openATV anyway, so it's your own choice, for me I always prefer to go directly for the main latest official openATV 6.1 version and that's it.

openATV version 6.2 is being tested out just now but it will be a while I'm sure before we need to even think about that, especially when most people with the zgemma i55 are still sitting quite happy with the rather old version 6.0 which is perfectly fine anyway.

So, I hope this rather rushed post I have just stuck up for you is of some help to anyone that is starting from scratch, let us know how it goes, if you get stuck and I am not around I am sure someone else will be here to help, this is a brilliant forum and usually people are here 24/7 to lend a hand. ;)

Hi i'm sorry for jumping onto this thread after such a long time, i came across it online and joined the group to ask a few questions i have just bought the zgemma i55 and have powered it on the load page is currently showing Open ATV 6.0. without me putting any ubb stick into it.. so do i not need to do the steps that you have mentioned above if i am happy enough with the 6.0 version???

OpenATV 6.0 is out of date by a long way. It will be worth flashing to at least 6.1 or maybe even 6.2.

You can carry on using 6.0 if you want to but there are no longer any updates for it from openATV.

OpenATV 6.0 is out of date by a long way. It will be worth flashing to at least 6.1 or maybe even 6.2.

You can carry on using 6.0 if you want to but there are no longer any updates for it from openATV.
ok i will go for the updated version do i need to delete the version that is on the box ?? as it is on there without a usb being plugged in

You will need a USB plugged in to to be able to update, but when you flash a box it completely wipes anything that is on it so you don't need to wipe anything first.

You can flash using the blue button -> Flash online -> green -> select the latest version. If it shows 6.0 in the list, press the blue button once to change this to 6.1 and then select the latest version.

You will need a USB plugged in to to be able to update, but when you flash a box it completely wipes anything that is on it so you don't need to wipe anything first.

You can flash using the blue button -> Flash online -> green -> select the latest version. If it shows 6.0 in the list, press the blue button once to change this to 6.1 and then select the latest version.

that seems to be it updated. do you know how to pair a usb to the box for storege Thank you for your help

Last edited:
Why not use WooshBuild Infinity on the box as it will guide you through each step on your remote and sort your USB out for storage too as well as letting you select your preferred skin and sort your settings out too.

Long and short of it is you need to initialise the USB. This is done from Blue button -> Harddisk -> Initialisation

Hi can someone help i have the red light of death on my zgemma i55 box. I have tried to reflash the box but nothing happens when i plug my usb stick in to the box. My usb stick is formatted correctly and i have followed the instructions in the thread but the light just remains red on the front of the box. Any help or guidance is appreciated.

What software did you use to format the usb?
My usb was already formatted from a while back I’ve flashed a few boxes with the usb so figured it isn’t this that’s the problem? I can remember what software I usb to format the usb it’s been a while,

Back