Can i run 2 pcs from 1 screen

Linny40

TK LADY VETERAN
Ive got 2 desktops but can i run them both via 1 screen 1 mouse and 1 keyboard. Is there a way or adapters so i can use both pcs and just switch between the 2 rather than have 2 totally seperate ones (for spacesaving)

Icanbe said:
You'll need a KVM switchbox, it will allow you to run two computers using 1 mouse and 1 keyboard.<br />
<br />
Here's a link <br />
<br />
<a href="http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2151735&Sku=A225-3050" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Buy the Iogear 4-Port KVM w/Audio and Cables at TigerDirect.ca</a>

Thanks when back on my pc i will take a look at that link
looked at that link but cant find anything like that in the UK!

Last edited:
There are loads of makes and models out there linny. Just do a quick search on any of the pc/electronic retailers that you frequent for KVM switches. Just be aware of the different aspects of each and be sure that it fits your needs. Some are USB while others are for PS/2 type periphials or even both. Video can be DVI or VGA. Some can even provide switching for your sound output.

ferguj1 said:
There are loads of makes and models out there linny. Just do a quick search on any of the pc/electronic retailers that you frequent for KVM switches. Just be aware of the different aspects of each and be sure that it fits your needs. Some are USB while others are for PS/2 type periphials or even both. Video can be DVI or VGA. Some can even provide switching for your sound output.

Cheers ferg will look on the usual sites 2mora

thanks guys now ive got a better idea of what im looking for and exactly what it does and they are not as expensive as id have imagined!

Update!

well thanks to you guys i now have 2 pcs on the go thanks to this gadget
139.jpg

its nice n neat and i quick touch of the switch and away ya go!! simple enough to install ( well IF you read the instructions) you must plug leads into 1st/main pc then when its registered add leads to 2nd pc
so now 1 pc for main use and 2nd pc for gaming downloading etc lol!

i got a bit carried away of feebay and ended up with 2 of them lol! could end up with 3 as i put a £1.04 bid on another one and im still winning - oops!!
mind you 1st one ive got here working but seller has not yet claimed money from paypal - nothing i can do :whistling: if he dont take funds lol!

only disappointment i have with this is 1 lead is very short and other lead is a decent lenght.

Looks good linny, might invest in one myself!
Could come in handy when fixing two pc's at the same time!
You can always get a joiner if your not happy with the length. Just get a good quality one.

if you want one i got a spare lol! and might even have a spare spare in a couple of days lol! Both pcs are next to each other so its not a problem, just limited space for me to get behind them they both fit next to each other with an inch each side but as you can imagine back of pc desk is FULL of leads i have about 4 double sockets lol!
2 x pc
1 x tv/screen
1 x router
1 x modem
1 x printer
1 x dymo label writer
1 x light
1 x EHD
1 x dvd player
1 x extension lead
( phone had to be plugged in elsewhere lol! )
all untangled and labeled :)

Update!

Well i have the Belkin KVM switch2 (F1DG102U)
images

52.jpg

But its not working as it should!
According to instructions you basically plug n play! No install disk. just 3 simple instructions
1 power on pcs
2 connect monitor keyboard mouse and speakers to base, now connect the remote
3 connect 1 set of cables to monitor and USB on 1st pc wait for it to recognise, then connect 2nd pc. Now ready to use!

Simple
it also says When you power on your pcs your 1st pc will appear on monitor, you are now ready to roll, to switch access to other pc press remote.
BUT!!
my problem is when i turn on pc ( either one) neither keyboard or mouse will move - no matter how long i wait. I have to reach behind pc take out the USB and re insert for each pc that i want to use!
So if i switch one daily i have to do this once a day.
I contact belkin who were not really much help. Told me to start over - which i had done, then said to change mouse, keyboard ( not got another - whole idea of switch 2)
But they also tellme :
Check if the keyboard and mouse works fine, when you connect directly to your computer.

• Make sure the mouse works when directly plugged into the computer.
(Rebooting may be necessary when trying this.)
• Try a different mouse.
Check that your mouse cable is connected properly to KVM.
Tighten any loose connections.
• Attach the mouse directly to the computer with which you are experiencing
mouse problems.
• Allow up to one minute after your computer wakes up from standby mode
for mouse function to return.
• Deactivate power management schemes on the computer with which you are
experiencing problems.
• Try swapping the mouse with a different one.

Check that your keyboard cable is connected properly to KVM. Tighten any
loose connections.
Enable USB support on your BIOS.
• Connect the KVM USB cable directly to a USB port on your computer.
• Make sure that the drivers for your keyboard are installed on your computers.
• Uninstall all other keyboard drivers from your computers.
• Try swapping your keyboard with a different one

Dont know how to enable USB support on my BIOS??
IF the keyboard and mouse work fine on both pcs before the switch was added why should they not work now. Why would i need to enable the USB support on the BIOS - surely this has already been done for other USB devices to work.

Last edited:
Having checked your KVM Linny, the listed Operating Support stops at XP, no mention of support for Vista or Windows7 (it is possible that Vista or Win7 may, or may not support it. I do not know what OS you are using on your comps.

To enable USB support in your BIOS you need to keep dabbing a switch when your comp\comps are booting up, the switch varies from BIOS to BIOS, usually F1, F2, F10, or DEL (it is normally listed at bottom of the screen as comp is booting up). Once BIOS is accessed just hunt about for the "ENABLE LEGACY USB SUPPORT" option (Look in the section called Advanced or similar, that's where it is in a lot of BIOS). Just change to YES from NO, then you will usually have to press a switch like F10 to save and exit BIOS.

To put it simply, this option is to help software\Hardware that does not have its own USB support like DOS etc to use a USB keyboard etc. Do not mess about too much in the BIOS Linny, but do not be scared of it also, if you think you have changed something accidentally, and do not know or remember what it was, just do not save on exit, and there is always an option to set system defaults.

If you still have no joy, you could try windows update to see if there is an update to help support your KVM.

Sorry to hear that you are having issues Linny. I am like you in saying that I do not believe it to be an issue with enabling the usb support in the BIOS, although if so jodav gave you an explaination of how to get it done. I believe that on my initial setup I had both pcs hooked up completely to the switch prior to powering them on. That seemed to work just fine. Only problem I ever have comes from my impatience. If I reboot or power on a pc and then switch to the other one instead of waiting for the os to load, it does not auto detect my monitor and my resolution will be messed up. Took me a few times to figure that one out. Otherwise it works great. I will do some more looking for you and post back if I can find anything.

@jodav yes both pcs are windows 7 - thanks i will try that over next few days!
@ferg - mmm sounds like i might do that take the whole lot out ( put it all back together) and then try it again before powering up the pcs.
Problem is they are in a tight space, so gotta pull the whole desk out and try n get behind it - oh the joys :)
The annoying thing is when i switch on pc1 both keyboard and mouse lights come on - so i know its connected but just dont wanna work :( When i switch on pc2 neither light comes on the keyboard or mouse. so its got to be something really silly thats causing it.
Once on it works fine and i can turn pc off and back on again ( not via restart) without a problem.

I have tried putting pcs on 1 at a time 1 then 2, then vice versa 2 then 1, and then both together with same problem. Have to get behind and takeout both usbs to base and insert again. Yesterday i turned on pc2 only and had to only take out and reinsert the usb for that one.

And i thought i could make life a little simpler LOL!

Hi Linny

I did a little reading on a few sites about your problem with the KVM switch box and one solution that I came across a couple times from other people with the same issue was to plug a usb mouse into one of the empty ports on the 1st pc, you don't actually use the mouse just plug it in and tuck it away some where out of sight.

Hopefully this helps, I know it's not a true fix but if it gets everything working I would try it.

You could also try switching on each pc one at a time for instance switching on both of them at the same time could be causing a conflict between each one and the switch.
Leave the first pc power on and startup fully, then switch on the next.

Oops, i see youve already tried that.

I wonder would monitor settings help in this case?
Have one pc registered to monitor 1 and the other to 2?

Last edited:
Axxo yes ive done that switched on 1 at a time waiting for it to load up then trying the other one but to no avail!
how would i change that for settings. I have looked in the display settings and it comes up with identify -1. Thing is monitor works ok for both its the keyboard and mouse!
will see if i have another usb mouse and try Icanbe's advice

Back