Getting a Ibox 2 plus soon... any tips/help

umerds

Hi,

Few days ago I bought an f5s and I'm now returning it for a Cloud Ibox 2 plus. From the little bits I've read I think I will be using the Openvix (I think it may even be preinstalled on the box), But I am clueless as to how the whole setup process is. I hear its a hard task setting it up and I have no idea where to start or what/how to do anything. Any help would be appreciated. Im looking to setup the box, add a c/n line and setup an automatic 7 day epg plus channel lists and all that.... might even want to put on the sky menu thing. Could someone just list all the things I need to do and I'll try and work it out from there.

Thanks,
umerds

Have a look here.

http://www.techkings.org/cloud-ibox/53778-cloud-ibox2-review-guide-tutorial.html

Hi,

Few days ago I bought an f5s and I'm now returning it for a Cloud Ibox 2 plus. From the little bits I've read I think I will be using the Openvix (I think it may even be preinstalled on the box), But I am clueless as to how the whole setup process is. I hear its a hard task setting it up and I have no idea where to start or what/how to do anything. Any help would be appreciated. Im looking to setup the box, add a c/n line and setup an automatic 7 day epg plus channel lists and all that.... might even want to put on the sky menu thing. Could someone just list all the things I need to do and I'll try and work it out from there.

Thanks,
umerds

Hi mate I was looking at that and learned about the cline part but i would imagine its differs because hes using PLi system

PLi is an image (firmware). Can be changed or modified on those boxes. The tutorial relates to your receiver and can/should be followed if you want to get setup. I got one recently, found the best thing to do is follow the instructions provided. Works well.

IMHO Vix ibox safe version is much more user friendly and ergonomic. Also reported to be a little less crashy with the plugins. Add the sky skin (which I think is ok but nkt necesssary) and it seems to deliver everything most people could want from a box.
All below is just me not a 'how it has to be'.

1st - if its running vix hit menu-information-about. That will tell you what version and build you are running. Anything that isn't called Zeus, Helios or Apollo is probably too old to be of any use and ur going to want to flash.

2nd - choose whether you want to start with a raw image and set every detail up yourself or use a backup image someone has made with everything done apart from personalised to ur liking. If the image installed is not set up you may still want to do this.

3rd- find and download that image making sure its DEFINITELY ibox safe.

( I'm biased because it's my image with loads of help from dumbguy but this is a link for safe up to date ibox 2+ modded Vix Apollo 022 image already setup. You just have to change region and set up ur usb/hdd. Instructions included. Easy to flash again later)
http://www.techkings.org/downloads.php?do=file&id=459

Last edited:
Nice one mate looks and sounds pretty good... few questions though...

1. Ill be using 2 usb's... does the pre-initialised one stay in all the time? and what happens if it were to plug out?
2. It says it set service scanning to SD but will that still pick up the BT sport and espn (plus FTA) in HD since they still work? If not how do I change that?
3. Whats a swapfile setup?
4. Do i have to do anything about that new bootloader thing that's at the bottom of the page? Im completely confused by that....

Other than that... i feel somewhat confident... lets hope it outperforms that terrible f5s ive sent back :)

IMHO Vix ibox safe version is much more user friendly and ergonomic. Also reported to be a little less crashy with the plugins. Add the sky skin (which I think is ok but nkt necesssary) and it seems to deliver everything most people could want from a box.
All below is just me not a 'how it has to be'.

1st - if its running vix hit menu-information-about. That will tell you what version and build you are running. Anything that isn't called Zeus, Helios or Apollo is probably too old to be of any use and ur going to want to flash.

2nd - choose whether you want to start with a raw image and set every detail up yourself or use a backup image someone has made with everything done apart from personalised to ur liking. If the image installed is not set up you may still want to do this.

3rd- find and download that image making sure its DEFINITELY ibox safe.

( I'm biased because it's my image with loads of help from dumbguy but this is a link for safe up to date ibox 2+ modded Vix Apollo 022 image already setup. You just have to change region and set up ur usb/hdd. Instructions included. Easy to flash again later)
Vix Apollo 022 Cloud ibox2+ SkySkin - Downloads - TechKings

1- the usb that lives in the box is to take the EPG info off the memory in the box and swapfile etc is to do the same. Less stress on box memory. If you unplug it settings would just revert to internal memory (small). Kt could then freeze up and need a reflash being a pain in the ass.
Its also to record/download to.

2 - yes hd all still there. In my image its like skys sd package. All the sd are main in list but hd on down if you want them. If its broadcasting and not blocked you get it.

3 - just quick thing to take work onto usb off internal memory.

4 - new bootloader is optional update for I think just the linux. Personally im ignoring until feedback.

The skybox? If it was the ui and terrible record function that p'd u off yeh this box isnt even in same league. But if it kept saying scrambled its down to the server ur on (dude u bought off) but hopefully it wasn't that :)

Last edited:
Thanks sucmnsee you've cleared a lot up... plus the usb that stays inside (hdd in my case) does it have to be a certain format?? and am i using it with any files or just plugging in the hdd empty? And OMG the skybox is useless... the ui was soo slow and too much of a downgrade from my skyHD box... plus it came with a preinstalled cline which was s*** imo but luckily ive got a separate provider and ive tested the line and its much better.. but yeah... the skybox was a horrid experience and im glad im getting my money back!! :grin:

After you flash the box ( or if ur happy with whats on it ) plug an empty/deletable drive (MAKE SURE FLASHFILE IS REMOVED FROM ANYTHING BEING PLUGGED BACK IN AFTER FLASH) in before powering on then go to
Menu
Setup
System
Storage devices
Initialisation
Select ur drive
Press red to initialise.

Once this is done it will be wiped and formated to ext4 and not readable on any other device like PC. Then you set up the epg to save to /hdd and swapfile of 256mb on the drive

Thanks mate... he says its running the latest openvix but id rather use your pre-setup one anyway thanks for the help ill let you know if i need any help (hoping to get the box end of this week)

After you flash the box ( or if ur happy with whats on it ) plug an empty/deletable drive (MAKE SURE FLASHFILE IS REMOVED FROM ANYTHING BEING PLUGGED BACK IN AFTER FLASH) in before powering on then go to
Menu
Setup
System
Storage devices
Initialisation
Select ur drive
Press red to initialise.

Once this is done it will be wiped and formated to ext4 and not readable on any other device like PC. Then you set up the epg to save to /hdd and swapfile of 256mb on the drive

No probs. 1 thing to ask him would be has it had the 05/08/14 bootloader run on it. Just something to know.

Ok I'll ask... if he says no/doesn't know then is there anything I have to do? (lets hope he picks the simpler option whichever one that is lol)

No probs. 1 thing to ask him would be has it had the 05/08/14 bootloader run on it. Just something to know.

I just purchased one of these boxes and came here to ask the same sort of questions but noticed this thread.

If you don't might a few questions

The box I purchased already has 750mhz cpu even on packaging it has it listed so will this image be fine?
I noticed on the web people mentioning the front display not working with Vix has this been fixed with this version?
Another thing regarding Vix I heard TSMedia has crash issues when streaming is this fine on this build?
Which picons are best to use and is there a curtain path they should be stored in?

Thanks

Firstly are you needing to flash the box or are u happy with the image on it?

Then are you looking to use a raw image and set up from scratch or someones backup that has everything done to it? (Including tsmedia fixs)

Tsmedia best on vix but vix still no front display but minor niggle. Everything else great on vix..

Firstly are you needing to flash the box or are u happy with the image on it?

Then are you looking to use a raw image and set up from scratch or someones backup that has everything done to it? (Including tsmedia fixs)

Tsmedia best on vix but vix still no front display but minor niggle. Everything else great on vix..

Current image was a very old vix something like build 3.0.8 it kept crashing so I tried openpli 4.

I just flashed the image you had linked to but I am having issue the remote wont work and Vix appears to take ages to boot up (i tried reflashing in case it may of been an issue but still problems occuring)

Why is if Vix still haven't sorted the front panel out when openpli has supported that function since the start?

Last edited:
Front panel because Vix dont do this box because its a clone. Its modded (well).

Remote not working means u must run 29/05/14 bootloader and reflash or stick to old non working images. The new 05/08/14 bootloader isnt necessary yet but up to you. Im avoiding until I have to.

Id use the 11/08/14 image imho

Hi, I am just trying to download from your link but so I can follow your tutorial on setup of a ibox 2+ with sky . I am downloading a .js file? how do I get the cloudix file.
cheers

Last edited:
Should be a 65mb rar file

---------- Post Merged at 03:07 PM ----------

I just tried link and working. Try clicking diff place thats not an add.
Dont think its in my dropbox at mo. Will look now

Back