Glitching help needed!!!!!!!

UPDATE
BT wholesale speed test D/14.3Mbps U/0.95Mbps Ping 39.25ms
OOKLAA D/13.85Mbps U/1.12Mbps ping 16ms so internet fine

opened a command line on my windows computer for now and typed ping 192.168.1.8 -t

been sending a ping to the box since 7:30am and had sky sports news on as always had problems on this channel both ethernet lights are blinking constant which is good and my computer showing
reply from 192.168.1.8: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

it has improved dramatically i thought it glitched once but turned out to be a crap interview with gareth barry haha gonna keep it running i expect it will do it at some point because i think i am pinging a router constantly that cannot handle it as its cheap hand out from the provider will try various channels but up to yet im happy

thanks for the tutorial LJSAT

still been ok up to yet but what i have also done in the mean time is set my DNS to google on my router like i have read on another post on here every improvements helps i suppose

You might find its one of plusnets servers causing you the issue
One of their servers is suffering from random packet loss / packet corruption and high ping spikes
Most people don't really notice it because they are not using their connection to run such time specific software like we run on these boxes
Plusnet are aware of these issues and claim they have been fixed but I'm pretty sure they haven't lol

Last edited:
Good news BonnyJohnny, glad it helps for now mate.

if you do manage to putty onto the box you can background the ping so that you don't need to leave your computer running, you'll need to ping something other than the box though (maybe your router itself)

To background the ping you'd enter something like

ping 192.168.1.1 &
Assuming the I.P above is on your network, or swap it for bbc.c.uk. Basically you need the & at the end.
When you set it running you'll get a PID number , something like [1] 10493. The ping will then start running, you can just close the window as it will continue on the box.
Screen Shot 2016-12-30 at 12.00.28.jpg
With the example above, this means the ping process is number 10493, if you wanted to stop the ping simply open a new connection and type

kill 10493

If you forget the PID then type

pgrep ping

Screen Shot 2016-12-30 at 12.01.23.png

this will show you the PID of the ping inorder to run the kill command.

Last edited:
Is it supposed to only run 4 times? I typed it in exactly as you have (tried both my router and BBC website) and it just runs like a normal ping test, even with the &.

No it should run continuously if you're running it on the box itself - it will only do 4 echo's if you're running it on the PC though.

you definately on the box?

Oh I can't read. I was doing this on a PC, I only skim read your post. Thanks for pointing that out to me. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problem, you could of course run it from the PC and background it too if needs be BUT that's assuming you leave your PC on all the time :)

Back