Installing new SSD Drive in Laptop

jolly3434

I have a Dell inspiron 5515 windows 11, I just updated my memory from 8gb to 32gb, which is all went fine,
i then bought a new SSD drive 1Tb to upgrade from the laptops 500gb, i checked Youtube on how to
'How to Activate New Hard Drives and SSD’s Not Showing Up' and thats fine now showing new hard drive in disk management Windows .
I followed the advice on this link, How to Set SSD as Boot Drive in Windows 11, 10, 8, 7?
and using AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional .
I tried migrate OS , then Clone Disk as one web site clone is best.
But when I Clone disk, there is 3 options
1) Clone without resizing partitions
2) Fit partitions to entire disk
3) Edit partitions on this disk

I tried number one, and when finished the new drive was all in sections , f,g,h,j, 500gb unallocated and nearly 500gb unformatted
Not sure what one to choose
the tried booting new SSD dive in BIOS, but it doesnt show up in Bios.

I have searched online on youtube but its all getting confusing now as i have never done this before,
Can someone please help with advice or a link thats easy to understand what steps i need to go in order , Please and thankyou

I have a Dell inspiron 5515 windows 11, I just updated my memory from 8gb to 32gb, which is all went fine,
i then bought a new SSD drive 1Tb to upgrade from the laptops 500gb, i checked Youtube on how to
'How to Activate New Hard Drives and SSD’s Not Showing Up' and thats fine now showing new hard drive in disk management Windows .
I followed the advice on this link, How to Set SSD as Boot Drive in Windows 11, 10, 8, 7?
and using AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional .
I tried migrate OS , then Clone Disk as one web site clone is best.
But when I Clone disk, there is 3 options
1) Clone without resizing partitions
2) Fit partitions to entire disk
3) Edit partitions on this disk

I tried number one, and when finished the new drive was all in sections , f,g,h,j, 500gb unallocated and nearly 500gb unformatted
Not sure what one to choose
the tried booting new SSD dive in BIOS, but it doesnt show up in Bios.

I have searched online on youtube but its all getting confusing now as i have never done this before,
Can someone please help with advice or a link thats easy to understand what steps i need to go in order , Please and thankyou
yes perhaps but other partitions should not be shown normally just your windows partition should be C and others should not have been given letters those should be hidden but sorry cannot help with AOMEI I have always used acronis.

but I would try Fit partitons to entire disk, the way you have done it is it has just cloned your original 500 GB drive i,e with what should have been hidden partitions and allocated the other 500GB to another partition which you would need to format.

I recently added a SSD to a dell mini tower and using macrium was the easiest way..cloned my existing 3.5HD copied to the SSD and done no messing everything worked as it did on the 3.5 drive. Saves you reloading software and keys etc

I installed a new SSD on a Dell 7020 not long back.

I just made a backup with Aomei Backupper and saved it to another drive.

Created an Aomei bootable USB and removed the old drive and installed the new one.

Booted up with USB and restored the image and then set the new drive as first boot device in the bios.

Sorry back again :confused:,
today my laptop asked for my bit-locker recovery key when my laptop started up, i input the key, all fine.
But later on the day when i rebooted laptop it didn't load the new ssd drive but loaded the old ssd drive. Then another time it loaded the new ssd drive and thought all was fine,
but again its loaded the old ssd drive and cant get into the new ssd drive.
Went into bios setting but that doesn't show the boot order .
When i had to get the new ssd dive setup to boot, Dell web site said 'you need to take out old ssd drive, then reboot with new one and laptop will see and set the new ssd as the main boot from, which worked.
I then installed old hard drive and it was fine ,till now. I didn't want to delete old os from old drive until i made sure all was well.

Attachments

• IMG_20230625_160805.jpg
    IMG_20230625_160805.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Sorry back again :confused:,
today my laptop asked for my bit-locker recovery key when my laptop started up, i input the key, all fine.
But later on the day when i rebooted laptop it didn't load the new ssd drive but loaded the old ssd drive. Then another time it loaded the new ssd drive and thought all was fine,
but again its loaded the old ssd drive and cant get into the new ssd drive.
Went into bios setting but that doesn't show the boot order .
When i had to get the new ssd dive setup to boot, Dell web site said 'you need to take out old ssd drive, then reboot with new one and laptop will see and set the new ssd as the main boot from, which worked.
I then installed old hard drive and it was fine ,till now. I didn't want to delete old os from old drive until i made sure all was well.
boot order should be there you need to enter one of the entries and disable older ssd

probably just take out the old ssd drive 500gb and just leave the 1tb in.
I went into boot and for the first time it showed both drives, but couldn't change the boot order.
then restarted laptop and went into bios again, and this time couldn't see both drives, picture attached.
So will probably that the other drive out and keep safe place encase something goes wrong with drive.

Attachments

• IMG_20230626_155835.jpg
    IMG_20230626_155835.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20230626_160018.jpg
    IMG_20230626_160018.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 5
probably just take out the old ssd drive 500gb and just leave the 1tb in.
I went into boot and for the first time it showed both drives, but couldn't change the boot order.
then restarted laptop and went into bios again, and this time couldn't see both drives, picture attached.
So will probably that the other drive out and keep safe place encase something goes wrong with drive.
the problem is the fact you have two bootable ssd drives, do google search for BCDEdit and EasyBCD also look here How to Repair Windows Boot Manager, BCD and Master Boot Record (MBR) | Windows OS Hub

I will be trying this process next week, swapping my Dell 128gb SSD, which holds my OS and is nearly full for a 500gb NVme SSD , as even after removing all of the Sh£t nothing really seems to have changed (space remaining wise), so fingers, toes and eyes crossed all goes well.

I have already Cloned my 128gb SSD to an external HDD and created a USB boot disk (just in case)!!. But I assume (rightly or wrongly) that if I have already cloned the 128gb SSD, then all I will need to do is change the boot sequence so that the external HDD with the cloned data boots, and then clone it back to the newly inserted 500gb SSD, then change the boot sequence again?

Right or Wrong?

Last edited:
I will be trying this process next week, swapping my Dell 128gb SSD, which holds my OS and is nearly full for a 500gb NVme SSD , as even after removing all of the Sh£t nothing really seems to have changed (space remaining wise), so fingers, toes and eyes crossed all goes well.

I have already Cloned my 128gb SSD to an external HDD and created a USB boot disk (just in case)!!. But I assume (rightly or wrongly) that if I have already cloned the 128gb SSD, then all I will need to do is change the boot sequence so that the external HDD with the cloned data boots, and then clone it back to the newly inserted 500gb SSD, then change the boot sequence again?

Right or Wrong?
yes that should work , I never actually clone the drives but I take images of the partitions. You now have a backup so you could just clone ssd to nvme ssd then chang boot sequence or once cloned format the ssd and use that drive for storage.

Right or Wrong?
Well that went a LOT easier than I first imagined it would be

Using EaseUS Partition Master, I Cloned the 128gb SSD whilst still in situ inside my Dell Ispiron 27775 AIO to a 500gb Nvme SSD placed in an Ineteck housing and conected to the PC via USB.

Once the cloning process had finished, I shut down the PC, took off the back of the PC and replaced the 128gb with the new 500gb Nvme SSD. No issues at all all working well no need to change boot sequence or anything. (y)

hi i have a dell xp 8300 and im after cloning my 2tb hard drive to an ssd what i realy want to know is my hard drive has a factory reset partition on it so i can reset the computer to the day i first bought the computer if i want so would this be copied over as well or will it be encrypted

Back