Installing new SSD Drive in Laptop

hi i have a dell xp 8300 and im after cloning my 2tb hard drive to an ssd what i realy want to know is my hard drive has a factory reset partition on it so i can reset the computer to the day i first bought the computer if i want so would this be copied over as well or will it be encrypted
If you clone your 2tb HDD to the SSD, the SSD will be exactly the same as your HDD

cheers was just because a few people said that i might not be able to copy the ome factory rcovery image that dell put on as it may be encrypted

cheers was just because a few people said that i might not be able to copy the ome factory rcovery image that dell put on as it may be encrypted
I have a Dell, and everything on my old ssd went across no bother the only change I seen was more space available. The safest way is to clone your HDD whilst it is still installed to an SSD connected via usb. This way once the cloning has completed you can check both the HDD and SSD contain the same

cheers will order one today thanks for your help it will be ok to just get a 1tb ssd wont it to do the job as it says i have got 1.53 tb free of 1.80 tb dont know why it only says 180 tb when got 2tb but im assuming thats the dell factory recovery the other 20tb
soz for mythering just need to be sure and thanks again

I only installed 500GB SSD and even then I partitioned it only reason was to increase bootup speed, I removed cdrom drive and put my old 1TB hard drive into cd cady I use that for backups and storage

cheers will order one today thanks for your help it will be ok to just get a 1tb ssd wont it to do the job as it says i have got 1.53 tb free of 1.80 tb dont know why it only says 180 tb when got 2tb but im assuming thats the dell factory recovery the other 20tb
soz for mythering just need to be sure and thanks again
Yes it should be fine, it will just clone your HDD and resize the partitions on the SSD to fit the SSD accordingly. It would have been a very different story if your 2tb HDD was nearly full or over half full:laughing: But you should be fine mate(y)

Yes it should be fine, it will just clone your HDD and resize the partitions on the SSD to fit the SSD accordingly. It would have been a very different story if your 2tb HDD was nearly full or over half full:laughing: But you should be fine mate(y)
just one last thing read on internet to unplug all usb,s and things from computer before cloning have you any knowledge on this thanks. ssd should get delivered in few days ordered from crucial and didnt realise that they were shipped to the uk but had email its on its way so every thing ok thanks for your help

just one last thing read on internet to unplug all usb,s and things from computer before cloning have you any knowledge on this thanks. ssd should get delivered in few days ordered from crucial and didnt realise that they were shipped to the uk but had email its on its way so every thing ok thanks for your help
I only unplugged a USB external HDD used only for backups, everything else was left and it cloned my old ssd without any issues

If I can remember correctly my samsung evo ssd from crucial came with imaging software.

I dont know how you are connecting the new disc up but what l did was remove the dvd player and did a wireing mod to connect the new discthen all that was needed was to set it going and the crucial software did it all automatically.

I dont know how you are connecting the new disc up but what l did was remove the dvd player and did a wireing mod to connect the new discthen all that was needed was to set it going and the crucial software did it all automatically.
SATA TO USB CABLE then cloning my hard drive whats already in my desk top pc then swapping the ssd with the hdd

any help with this one changed hard drive in desktop after cloning with crucial mx500 and its recognised in the bios and everything running ok, but crucial have a program called crucial storage executve which you download and you can do various things with it as well as update to the latest firmware on ssd but when i download it it says, no supported drives found on the system,this may be because you are running on windows with all your drives configured in a raid array which is currently not supported. spoke to customer services and basically no help except the sata in bios should be set to AHCI not raid. Restarted computer into safe mode changed sata raid to AHCI and powered windows back up, i get this in device manager now
Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller
but still storage executive doesnt find my ssd drive any ideas thanks in advance

all sorted changed the Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller over to the
Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller all good now thanks

Back