Newbie needing help

lilolme

Hi all

I'm not technically minded and my OH has just had a Cloud ibox II - plus - installed. Apparently you can only record the channel you are watching!

I was unaware of this - is this true? What do we need to buy so we can at least watch a channel and record another one? Any recommendations where to buy? Ibox 3?? I think we need a dual tuner - does the ibox 3 have one of these??

Thanks in advance. (y)

Zgemma Star 2S which you can get from flebay for under £100 (about £95, lol) but it has a duel LNB turner which is like slyTV's as that has duel LNB turner installed. This way you can watch one channel while recording another just like a slybox.

Wow - thanks guys for your replies. ;)

So - I need the Zgemma star 2s and also an external hard drive? I'm clueless here - how big a hard drive do I need? I do record quite a few programs - what is the skybox storage limit? Also, are all these boxes the same? ie, can we get all the Sky programmes, movies, sports etc that we can on the ibox?

Thanks in advance for you great help. :yes!:

Up to your perosnal choice what size of hard drive you buy. I think SLY box is 500GB and some new versions may be 1TB. People that use he Zgemma star 2s would prob recommend a mains powered hard drive. Regarding channels - depends on where you get your line from, but you should get all those that you would normally get through SLY, except Box Office Movies. There is also no HD channels, except B*Sport 1&2 and ESPN. Some providers include Setanta also

Thanks Snapper - our line is through Sly. Which box would you recommend to record 2 channels and watch one - like on Sly??

Cheers

---------- Post Merged at 10:07 AM ----------

I've just been looking on Fleabay and it says that the Zgemma Star 2s is replacing the Cloud Ibox 2 plus? That is what we have already - so will the box we have record a channel while we are watching another one?

Thanks

Thanks Snapper - our line is through Sly. Which box would you recommend to record 2 channels and watch one - like on Sly??

Cheers

---------- Post Merged at 10:07 AM ----------

I've just been looking on Fleabay and it says that the Zgemma Star 2s is replacing the Cloud Ibox 2 plus? That is what we have already - so will the box we have record a channel while we are watching another one?

Thanks

No Cloud Ibox 2 + (SE) only have one input feed from the LNB so you can only watch and record the same channel at the same time

Thanks for your reply. If I buy the Zgemma Star 2s does it come ready to go? ie with all the channels to view??

Thanks for your reply. If I buy the Zgemma Star 2s does it come ready to go? ie with all the channels to view??

Depending what the supplier ships on the box, but there are plenty of images out there (good ones already preconfigured with setup instructions on this forum) to get you started, I would look at sucmnsee's Vix images in the downloads section as a good place to start

its supposed to come with open atv but a lott of people prefer vix when mine comes ill see what open atv,s like if i dont like it ill try vix by sucmnsees

its supposed to come with open atv but a lott of people prefer vix when mine comes ill see what open atv,s like if i dont like it ill try vix by sucmnsees

I've used both in the short time I've had my box, Vix is easier to setup from scratch than OpenATV, but they are pretty similar once up and running, I find Vix a bit quicker in the menus\EPG etc, but you must never do any OTA updates with Vix as it will brick the box, where as OpenATV update stuff on a daily basis which can be downloaded straight to the box, the other downside with vix is the LCD display on the box doesn't show any channel numbers or time like the OPenATV image allows, so I just switch the display off completely

I'm confused. :whacko:

The cloud ibox that the guy brought has all the sly channels already there. If I get the Zgemma Star 2 will I have to put the channels on the box ? :binoculars:

For someone coming from Sybox F5s, set up the line myself, update channels myself and also updated firmware myself.....decent amount of knowledge with technology....would it take much time to set up? I have read few people bricking boxes on here so just wanted to make sure that if I brought the box and followed a good guide then I wouldn't brick it.

For someone coming from Sybox F5s, set up the line myself, update channels myself and also updated firmware myself.....decent amount of knowledge with technology....would it take much time to set up? I have read few people bricking boxes on here so just wanted to make sure that if I brought the box and followed a good guide then I wouldn't brick it.

If you use one of the OpenATV or OpenVix images provided here by MTpockets or Sucmnsee they have done most of the hard work for you, just a case of FTP-ing your line over to the box and configuring it a bit, will take a couple of hours, with the support of this forum and your tech knowledge you should be fine!

Wow that's the cheapest I have seen it. Was there any issues buying it from here?

Makes you feel like buying a few more at that price :whistling:
There cheaper at places like alixpress direct from china $100 witch is around £66 but have minimum orders

Wow that's the cheapest I have seen it. Was there any issues buying it from here?

Makes you feel like buying a few more at that price :whistling:
There cheaper at places like alixpress direct from china $100 witch is around £66 but have minimum orders

Don't mind paying a bit extra for the piece of mind that it arrives in a few days and in one piece!

Back