PS3 3.73 Firmware jailbroken

sinno

VIP Member
KaKaRo To who you may or may not know created the first ever custom firmware for the PS3 has gone and done it again,he quoted on his twitter account that he has been able to jailbreak the 3.73 firmware,he always releases his work so it wont be long before this is in the wild,he has said he has more testing to do on it,so it will be released when he is happy with it.
After all the drama that has gone on over the last few months it is about time there was some good news,and Here it is

have you got the link to his twitter account so i can follow him sinno?

what is the last firmware anyway on PS3? I've lost count, not been keeping up to date with the firmware/jailbreaks etc...

An update from the man himself;

Hi all,
I’ve been flooded with questions on twitter and I’ve read many posts on news sites and I’ve seen some stuff being said on IRC and I thought I needed to clarify a few things…
First of all, I didn’t expect to see my tweet front paged on all ps3 hacking news sites.. although I should have expected it.. but anyways, the “jailbreak” is not ready to be used, at all. I only tweeted that because I was excited having it working and I wanted to share my excitement with everyone. But this is a bit equivalent to the day I released that create_cfw.sh script that created the very first CFW/MFW but it still took a couple of months before a real, easy, multiplatform and fully fledged solution was released : PS3MFW.

We are currently at the same state, I have the proof of concept, it works, but a solution that anyone can use where they just click a button and their PS3 gets jailbroken is still far from ready.
I’ve seen people say (and even write it in their front page news) that I’ll release it in two weeks after I come back from vacation. That is not true and I never said that. What I said was that for the next 2 weeks, the project is on hold until I get back.. but when I get back, then I will continue working on it, and it will then take some more time before it’s ready and released.

Some asked if it’s based on what gitbrew was doing/suggesting or if I used someone else’s exploit or work. No, this solution is my own idea and 100% my own implementation. However, the actual solution for the full jailbreak involves some components on which I will not work, and I expect/hope that someone else will provide the solution for that.

Some speculated it might be what I spoke about back in March which I later said I wasn’t pursuing by lack of motivation.. and yes, you are right. The same hack I had in March is still valid today, I told a few people about it (rms, Mathieulh, an0nym0us, and a couple more), but no one was interested in pursuing it further and actually exploiting that flaw (mainly because it requires a huge amount of work to get a proof of concept working). 10 days ago (I started on the 11th), I got bored and decided to start poking at it again, and yesterday (a lot faster than I thought it would take), I got my first pkg installed on 3.73 firmware.

On twitter, I said “do not update if you are on 3.55″, I said that in response to someone who said he would update. Because of that, people speculated that you need to be on 3.55 first, and then install something before doing the upgrade. No, that’s not it, that would be useless. The purpose of my solution is to jailbreak a ps3 that is already on 3.73 firmware and which had never been jailbroken before. I told people not to update because, first of all, it’s not yet ready, and second of all, the 3.55 firmware gives you a lot more possibilities than what can be achieved on 3.73.

So what is this jailbreak? I won’t say because I don’t want Sony to block it in a firmware update (and yes, they potentially could) before it’s even released (and yes, I will release it when it’s ready). But I will explain this to you : in order to run your homebrew apps, you need two things. First, to be able to install them on the ps3, and second to be able to run it once installed. I did only one of these two things.

Some may say it’s not a real jailbreak, but the way I see it, there are three ‘jails’ on the ps3, I broke the first one which prevents you from installing anything, so now you can install your .pkg, great, but it won’t run, that’s the second jail. The third jail is being able to modify the firmware (peek&poke).

The second jail (running apps) is something that can be done, but it’s not my area of expertise (npdrm algo), so I will not be working on that. I am waiting for someone else to achieve it (some have succeeded but do not wish to release it, at least not for now) then I will release.

The third jail (modifying the firmware) is not possible with my method, this means that you will not have a “CFW”, you will run your homebrew applications and games on an official firmware. This also means that without peek&poke support, none of the backup managers will work. So, again, my solution is piracy-free, and as always, I do not plan on working on a way to enable piracy (or even legal backups).

Overall, the purpose will be to allow people who are on 3.73 firmware to enjoy the homebrew games that were released, to play a bit with Eskiss, and to use Showtime for playing their movies. This should be more than enough for everyone.
Finally, I will conclude by replying to another question I received : Do you accept donations? The answer is yes. I do accept donations but I do not seek them out. I will include a donate button to the bottom of this post, so if anyone wishes to donate, they can do so, however, I want to make it clear that whether or not you donate does not and will not affect in any way, the release, or the progress of the work I’m doing. If you donate, you would do it as a sign of appreciation of my efforts, and not in exchange of any favors or anything crazy like that.

That’s about it I think… If you have any more questions, please refrain from asking them, I get enough as it is already.. I also said everything I needed to say and I don’t want to give any more information than that (for now).
KaKaRoTo

Code:
http://kakaroto.homelinux.net/2011/11/clarifications-about-3-73-jailbreak/

Yes, I think the update was for an exploit on 3.73 - although, it appears the same exploit has yet to be patched by Sony - so likely it may still work on newer FW. Hope it's released soon - need some homebrew on PS3!

i cant wait till its out so i can download the games instead of paying ridiculous amount of money on one game.

Sorry to piss on your parade ladies but this isn't going to be a jailbreak you are hoping for he wont be enabling back up loaders to work with this method (peek and poke is needed for that). This is just for homebrew only and he has only been able to install packages not run them.

As with the jailbreak from the begining,it takes one dev to open the door,the others make the backups work,the original custom firwares were never intended to make anything other than homebrew work,but others enabled the backups to work,the fact that 3.73 and now 4.0 has been exploited only means its a waiting game,if is to be believed that the guys behind the true blue are devs and indeed have gotten the keys,games will work,Mathieulh has been leeched of and some of his work leaked which shows there are more ways to skin this cat,every day the scene is changing and depending on what you want there will be something for everyone.
So as said from the begining,if you want backups to work DONT UPDATE,or buy a new dongle or give the devs time.PSN is not the be all and end all of gaming,if you are on a exploitable firmware stay there or update i dont care realy,i have what i want and enjoy it

The PS3 scene is cack anyway its full of e-penis swingers making claims and not showing much thats why my PS3 is on 4.0 and buy games like cod for online play and my 360 plays my back ups and kept offline.

As for what the scene is or is not,i play cod and u3 and about 160 others those e-penis swingers made possible,i have never understood the need to play online,now that to me is just ego,try beating yourself rather than everyone else,after all it is only a game and has absolutely no relevance in the real world,i also hope you opted out of the terms of service when you updated,if they loose your details again your entitled to 0

What details ? Its a email I made especially for psn and my name is mr bean from don't be nosey street.I doubt they'll get much personal info out of my details tbh

I'll stick with what I've got online psn play and a flashed 360 = no ps3 scene drama with the frog and pals

Thats certainly your choice,so you will have absolutely no need for the information in this topic

Thats certainly your choice,so you will have absolutely no need for the information in this topic

Not at all I can still keep track of whats going on without your permission, thats another thing about the ps3 jailbreakers its this attitude they have.

You seem to have gotten the wrong end of what information is and commenting on said information,no one here requires permission to stay abreast of what is going on,the attitude of devs is because of the haters out there,im no dev but am very capable of doing the work when shown,also is everybody from France a frog or just Mathieulh,this is getting off topic,if you want to continue this start a seperate topic and i will certainly contribute there

sinno i see there are developments but small ones at the moment.. thanks for keeping us updated. Your information and knowledge is so valuable to us all here :)

Back