software updates?

Dastardley

I have never updated the software on my box.....haven't even looked in the software update section on the box until today....I have no idea how to run the updates.....but when I checked it said that there were 62 updates available!.....Is this normal...only had the box a few months? Do I run these separately?......do I need to run them all or choose which ones to run....is there just a button I hit that automatically runs them all or the required updates?....Thanks.

If you have OPENATV installed you will need to find out what version you have as it may well crash your box as there is a problem when updating the software unless you have a relatively recent download!

Last edited:
Don't think you will be able to mate but best let woosh or benji answer your question with it being a wooshbuild you have.

Do not run updates on that version of wooshbuild as your box will not boot after.
You can either stay on 4.01 and not run updates or update to wooshbuild 5.03.
If your going to update to 5.03 remember to have a backup of your line file somewhere safe so you don't loose it, you can do a settings backup which will save your line but its always a good idea to keep a backup on your computer for those oops moments

Update to WooshBuild v5 as per the update instructions for it in the H2S thread section and you should be good to go. As djgarf said though, please have a copy of your line safe though just in case.

Then you can do software updates as often as you like, in fact it is encouraged with WooshBuild v5 so everything including the plugins remain up to date.

Update to WooshBuild v5 as per the update instructions for it in the H2S thread section and you should be good to go. As djgarf said though, please have a copy of your line safe though just in case.

Then you can do software updates as often as you like, in fact it is encouraged with WooshBuild v5 so everything including the plugins remain up to date.

Tried to flash my box following the instructions.....downloaded wooshbuild version 5 , new folder named it basebuild extracted contents of the wooshbuild ver 5 into it, then copied to my usb flash disk....turned off zgemma box inserted usb flash in front slot and turned on box.....went straight to boot and usual set up and settings.....no change...tried numerous times with the same outcome....have used four different usb flash drives formatted all to Fat32 beforehand and still the same outcome.....totally lost as to what I am doing wrong??....now have severe headache, off to look for some asprin and hour away from this PC to replenish sapped energy.... :boom:

The USB stick must only have 1 folder - zgemma.

zgemma
--------- h3 <- This is inside zgemma folder
--------- 4 or 5 files <- these are inside the h3 folder

Also, as well as the zgemma folder can be your line file either CCcam.cfg or newcamd.list

Just tried it with just Zgemma folder and no joy again.

---------- Post Merged at 10:22 PM ----------

Just noticed this thread.
From the dawn of time Ive always read that the main advantage of OpenATV over Vix was that you can do online updates, and any update (unless a clearly buggy module) couldnt do any harm.
Now this isnt the case?
Since when did an OpenATV update semi brick a box? Whats happened?!
This a Wooshbuild issue ?

---------- Post Merged at 10:22 PM ----------

You did remember to take your usb out from the back didnt you while you flashed...failing that if you can see your zgemma box on your computer network click on hard disk > images > drag the basebuild zip into images then with your remote press blue > flash online/local > blue (local) yellow (devices) > click your usb > images > in there you should see wooshbuild latest the basebuild youve just put in > green to flash

Just noticed this thread.
From the dawn of time Ive always read that the main advantage of OpenATV over Vix was that you can do online updates, and any update (unless a clearly buggy module) couldnt do any harm.
Now this isnt the case?
Since when did an OpenATV update semi brick a box? Whats happened?!
This a Wooshbuild issue ?

You must have missed the week where running software updates on a box with a certain OpenATV version date(s) will try to update a core file, the core file was broken by OE and not OpenATV (or WooshBuild for that matter). OpenATV held back 2 months before having to run the update as it will have been holding back their progression. OpenATV added the fixed files to their nightly images and the only way around not soft bricking you box when running updates was to re-flash it with a newer OpenATV with the working core file. The down side was WooshBuild v4 and other peoples images were also made using a nightly image which had the bad file which meant having to re-make the images. WooshBuild v5 was already available by then so v4 users just had to run the update in the normal way to get v5.

OpenATV has no problems running software updates at any time and they offered a solution, not one some people wanted to hear, but a solution all the same.

I looked in Zgemma > hard disk on my pc.......but no folder or file named images in there.

I would start again from scratch as I think your head could be spinning by now.

2 ways to go forwards:

1. If you are running WooshBuild v4.x you can update using the box:
Blue button -> Backup settings - takes seconds to complete
Then from the same menu select flash online / local
Green button -> Highlight WooshBuild Latest -> Green button - This should start downloading WooshBuild v5. Once done press OK and then OK again. This should then start to flash your box

2. Starting from fresh:
Download the right WooshBuild v5 for your box
Format the USB you are going to flash with using your PC
Open the zip file you downloaded and you will see a zgemma folder. Copy this folder directly to your USB. There is no need to make any folders, just drag and drop the zgemma folder from the zip file to your USB stick.
Once the folder has copied across - takes a couple of minutes - you can also copy your line file onto the USB too.
Put the USB stick in the front of the box and turn it on. The LCD on the front should now say FLSH.

Once you get your box up n running on wooshbuild v5 don't do any software updates today as the update feed is red at the moment and a couple of posts about bootloops have been made on here

I looked in Zgemma > hard disk on my pc.......but no folder or file named images in there.

I would start again from scratch as I think your head could be spinning by now.

2 ways to go forwards:

1. If you are running WooshBuild v4.x you can update using the box:
Blue button -> Backup settings - takes seconds to complete
Then from the same menu select flash online / local
Green button -> Highlight WooshBuild Latest -> Green button - This should start downloading WooshBuild v5. Once done press OK and then OK again. This should then start to flash your box

2. Starting from fresh:
Download the right WooshBuild v5 for your box
Format the USB you are going to flash with using your PC
Open the zip file you downloaded and you will see a zgemma folder. Copy this folder directly to your USB. There is no need to make any folders, just drag and drop the zgemma folder from the zip file to your USB stick.
Once the folder has copied across - takes a couple of minutes - you can also copy your line file onto the USB too.
Put the USB stick in the front of the box and turn it on. The LCD on the front should now say FLSH.

Thanks for the help wooshman and to all the others who offered advice for me in this threat, it has all been greatly appreciated. I updated to wooshbuild Ver.5 using the online flash option and it has worked a treat.....and painless too! ;) Have just restored my settings and my line is running sweetly too.....Thanks again!

Easy when you know how.

Now you are running v5 things are slightly different as we have centralist most things into WB Config - a simple one stop place for most settings / tweaks. v5 also comes with it's new skin which has toppicks all up and running for you as well a updatable, this goes for the SkyQ skin and all of the WooshBuild plugins.

One thing not to do it use flash online / local again unless you are wanting to flash a previous backup or want a OpenATV nightly image. WB Config takes care of re-flashing your box and updates.

You must have missed the week......

Yeah, I hardly get the time to get on here these days, and when I do, sometimes its as if......its as if Ive walked in to a party thats in full swing, and you feel like a bit of a stranger, and have missed all the gossip if that makes sense.
Funnily enough I actually have an issue Im looking for an answer to re wooshbuild 4, but its for a 2S so will chuck it up in the right place.

Feed Status went green today.

Reflashed wooshbuild again last night as box crashed.

Done the updates just there and box crashing again, Wooshbuild boot screen gone, Boots up to open atv screen and just loops.

To anyone with a H5.2S I'd hold off

Back